Will Clowns hurt Torch/Bubble corals?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey #reefsquad !! So I’m looking to introduce a torch coral and bubble coral to my tank sometime soon, but I’ve heard people say that their clowns temporarily hurt their torches/ bubbles until the corals got used to them. Does this happen all the time, and/or is there a way to get avoid this?
Also if anyone has any cool corals I could add to my take please share!
Thomas

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 torches in my tank, but the clowns never go near them. They seem to split their time between my bubble tip anemone and a large goniopora. The goni does not seem to mind them at all:

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clowns are already hosting another coral, I doubt they’d bother your new ones. Especially since bubble corals do not represent their homes in the wild. :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know. I've had crazy clowns try to use a large zoa colony as a host, a duncan and a goni. I've never had one use a euphyllia as host but it's possible.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a clown cuddle up to a torch, but I have seen them with other euphyllias. Generally not as energetically or as frequently as with anemones. They may also be interested in gonioporas and alveoporas. I've never seen one in a catalaphyllia.

I wouldn't be surprised if an overly energetic clown could wind up killing a coral. Corals in general can't take the kind of rough treatment that anemones can.

Haven't kept a bubble coral myself in some years as they don't seem to appreciate the higher current in my tanks.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can and will be hosted by many corals. I’ve seen them host monti cap,Duncan,zoas and Euphyllia. When I introduced mine a week ago the first day I was watching the tank and my female swam over to my trachy and tried to rub in it (was in feed mode with tentacles outs) and I assume she was stung because she freaked the second she touched it. Haven’t seen them go near anything else yet.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved away from expensive torches. I had 2 aussi gold torches and my clowns killed both of them. I moved them and a day later bam. the clowns found them. I put an egg crate to protect them but one of my other fish hit the egg crate and knocked it over and discovered the clowns in them again. covered them up with egg crate again and put a rock on it. over night one of my fish got spooked and swam and knocked the rock off. and along with the the eggcrate was moved again. my clowns were in the gold torches and ended up killing them.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a picture here somewhere of a bubble coral eating a clown head first. My clowns aren’t the smartest as they prefer my overflow vs any of the 50+ corals in my tank or my 3 nems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back