wrasse dead or playing dead

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to bad to me. Be patient and see how it is doing in a few more hours.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is its eye moving? if it's eyes are moving, then it's more likely to be stressed out and will recover.

put something it can hide in, like a small pvc fitting.

make sure no bright light shrines on it until it recover. keep its box dark, cover it from light if need to.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is its eye moving? if it's eyes are moving, then it's more likely to be stressed out and will recover.

make sure no bright light shrines on it until it recover. keep its box dark, cover it from light if need to.
ok i will and it’s eyes seem to move

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are pros at playing dead. As long as you allowed sufficient time for floating and allowed at least 2 hours for acclimation and verified salinity in acclimation area and compared with tank- Good to roll

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

will this work i dont have any pvc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 36

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will this work i dont have any pvc

i'm not sure ... that cup seems too big for it to want hide in it. It would be something more like 1/2" pvc, that it can just fit itself inside. But for now, it's not critical, because when its stressed to an extend of not wanting to swim, it won't go into hiding anyway. It's more for later when it relax a little bit, like a day later.

For the first day the most important part is to keep it in a dark place, away from strong light, and bother it as less as possible. The box looks like on the top of the tank, can't tell how bright it is. But I will try find something to block the whole box from your lights. Black plastic, or even the foam from the shipping box may work.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not sure ... that cup seems too big for it to want hide in it. It would be something more like 1/2" pvc, that it can just fit itself inside. But for now, it's not critical, because when its stressed to an extend of not wanting to swim, it won't go into hiding anyway. It's more for later when it relax a little bit, like a day later.

For the first day the most important part is to keep it in a dark place, away from strong light, and bother it as less as possible. The box looks like on the top of the tank, can't tell how bright it is. But I will try find something to block the whole box from your lights. Black plastic, or even the foam from the shipping box may work.
ok i’ll try that i could put something on top of the screen to block out light there as well

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with 6 wrasses in the pass couple months, all of them are stressed out and won't swim out of drip acclimation. I did some mistake at not paying attention to the strong light the tank is running, while the acclimation box is at the top of the tank. Literally stressed one of the wrasse to death within half a day. The next time, the wrasse was similarly stressed out and lying by the side of the PVC, but when I put a black plastic to cover the box, couple minutes later it swim into the PVC. It stayed there for another whole day before swimming out at all. I had it stayed in the box for 3 days before letting it out.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with 6 wrasses in the pass couple months, all of them are stressed out and won't swim out of drip acclimation. I did some mistake at not paying attention to the strong light the tank is running, while the acclimation box is at the top of the tank. Literally stressed one of the wrasse to death within half a day. The next time, the wrasse was similarly stressed out and lying by the side of the PVC, but when I put a black plastic to cover the box, couple minutes later it swim into the PVC. It stayed there for another whole day before swimming out at all. I had it stayed in the box for 3 days before letting it out.
ok thanks for the help and yea it was like that from drip acclimating and i turned my light off for it

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for the help and yea it was like that from drip acclimating and i turned my light off for it

I don't mean the drip acclimation is the problem. Wrasses are easily stressed. Being netted, bagged, shipped in box, netted couple times again, is more than enough to stress it out a ton. Even netting netting from QT tank to my display is enough to make it stressed for a day.

Drip acclimation is important if incoming water's salinity is not matching. Always ask what salinity the fish is shipping in. Also good seller will put ammonia neutralizer/detoxifier so there is no risk during drip acclimation. But honestly I tested the overnight shipping bags a couple times, they have less ammonia than the test kit can detect.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just looks nervous to me, quite understandable.
He seems to display normal behavior, but is in a small basket.
I’d slide him in to the DT a couple hours after dark.
He will recover better there.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean the drip acclimation is the problem. Wrasses are easily stressed. Being netted, bagged, shipped in box, netted couple times again, is more than enough to stress it out a ton. Even netting netting from QT tank to my display is enough to make it stressed for a day.

Drip acclimation is important if incoming water's salinity is not matching. Always ask what salinity the fish is shipping in. Also good seller will put ammonia neutralizer/detoxifier so there is no risk during drip acclimation. But honestly I tested the overnight shipping bags a couple times, they have less ammonia than the test kit can detect.
yea i know they can be stressed easily so i aclamted him in like no light at all

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just looks nervous to me, quite understandable.
He seems to display normal behavior, but is in a small basket.
I’d slide him in to the DT a couple hours after dark.
He will recover better there.
it’s been dark for a while plus i have a hungry bta anemone that might catch him if he lands in the tenticals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep light s low white and moderate blue to keep fish relaxed while it becomes acquainted with tank and new neighbors

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back