Your favorite place to order fish

holdendaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me welcome myself i have been on another reefer site for the last 5 months just getting ready to stock my tank with a couple fish. everybody on this site uses 1 person to order fish from(he can only get hawaii fish) where do you all get your fish shipped from...thanks

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Mobile Aquatics has done alot of reefers here good. Personally I have had good luck using liveaquaria.com

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobile Aquatics can bring in the high end fish and I'm sure anything else you want, plus they QT everything for awhile, once again I think!

Plus they are a sponsor :D

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my local fish store.

They will order me anything I want and will QT it until they are comfortable letting go.

If they get something that doesn't look right, I have no obligagtion to take it.
Getting to see what your buying is VERY important to me.

Support our sponsors, but don't for get your lfs, they need the support too.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for supporting your local fish stores. We have a lot in Ptown. I'm curious what is the advantage of ordering online fish? I can order from the lfs and it is usually cheaper often than the online price. I am not paying for shipping. Usually I will get a discount because they know they are going to be selling it right away and not housing it for a long time. I also get to see the fish, make sure it is healthy, watch it eat, and since I am a frequent customer I usually get at least a one week guarantee. Also if the fish does not work out, he will take it back for a refund. Also ordering online, I have to make sure I am home for the delivery and if something goes wrong typically you have pay for shipping.

Just curious people's thoughts about this.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the LFS...these are people who need to make a living, and want to support you. Unfortunately...petco has driven out all of our LFS's including two previous employers of mine. So now if I have to ORDER fish...I get them through fosters & smith. They are a little less than an hour and a half away from me, have ethical husbandry, keeps the money in Wisconsin, and they have arrive alive, stay alive for 14 days after you get the fish shipped to you. I can also order fish into their retail store and pick it up from there, not paying shipping, but you also will pay a higher price in store than online. Finally fosters has a function where you can request a certain animal (doesnt necessarily have to be a fish) into their "Divers Den" where you can observe them, and then either order them online, or pick them up at the retail location. For me it just makes the most sense to go through fosters for these reasons, but I would recommend them to almost everyone. Great people.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your input on this Kingfisher. I have bought corals online many times (and this forum is so dangerously tempting for that) but not often fish but have had good luck buying dry goods from Fosters and Smith. In Portland, we are pretty spoiled by so many local fish stores. It makes sense to go online if you do not have many good stores nearby. My fear is exactly what you mentioned, that some stores will have to close down because it is so difficult to make a profit or break even. I try to support the good ones every chance I get.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back