zebra eel feeding

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a baby, it's probably 8-10 inches a few weeks ago. Wanted to grow it out before putting in my main tank, but having trouble getting it to eat. I've tried ghost shrimp, fiddle crabs (which are too big, can't find small ones), frozen silversides, shrimp, bloodworms, clam. I'm going to try squid and krill next, but seeing if anyone ran into their experience before.

Has plenty of rock, it's responsive to me, rock in the 20g holding it has been sitting in my sump for like 2 years, have pods that transfered over with it.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20221125_230107.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squid and octopus, sounds like you have tried enough variety they should have responded. How long have you had him and do you know if he was eating before. While it can take some eels a bit to settle in and there may be nothing to worry about, eels do come in with internal parasites frequently. Since he is in an observation it wouldn't hurt to do a general cure treatment.

Did you just drop a few ghosties in and leave them overnight, sometimes, especially at first, they will only eat after lights out, in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ish, ghosties I've tried day 2, have not attempted em since. They tend to die, so i put the in early afternoon, took em out night so they wouldn't decompose. I try to keep the light minimal, turn it on when I get home to check the eel, drop food, lights off, walk away, come back ~30min, take it out. I do some prazi, I have metro, but need it to eat before applying it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ghosties living in observation tanks for weeks until zi remove them.. Some are going to die either way. But they do live fine in full salt water. Some of your nocturnal predators may not eat until the food is left overnight. If internal parasites are to blame for not eating, without treatment they will die. When I get an eel or lion, or really any fish in, if they don't eat within 24 hrs, I treat for internal parasites. These fish are mostly starving, and once settles from the stress of the move, should eat a live food offering within 24hrs.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I treat for internals, I thought those medications weren't effective unless digested. I'll give ghost shrimp another try and leave them in there. They usually are gone quick in my main, so didn't know they can live some time. I also don't know if it ate before, it was a good price and fresh in the store, and thought I'd be able to get it to eat with the grow out tank environment setup for it.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I treat for internals, I thought those medications weren't effective unless digested. I'll give ghost shrimp another try and leave them in there. They usually are gone quick in my main, so didn't know they can live some time. I also don't know if it ate before, it was a good price and fresh in the store, and thought I'd be able to get it to eat with the grow out tank environment setup for it.

It's actually opposite and is best used in the water column, at least in the case of predators that are not eating daily. General cure or fritz paracleanse which ever you have access to, follow the directions on the package, it has always worked well for me. Be mindful of displacement and dose to actual water volume. Internal parasites are very prevalent, not only with predators, but all fish; and waiting to treat a fish that is not eating, is not a good idea. Once appropriate live foods are offered and refused, it is very important to treat right away.

I've had eels only eat the ghosties or fish offered overnight for the 1st few feedings. You can't judge them by not accepting dead foods in the beginning, sometimes that can take time. I've just seen a huge increase in survivability by not waiting to treat after live foods were refused.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found one of the fiddle crabs all tore apart today, thought they were too big for it to go for, but apparently not! I'm medicating the tank today, will order moe crabs between trying to get it to recognize the other stuff as food.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found one of the fiddle crabs all tore apart today, thought they were too big for it to go for, but apparently not! I'm medicating the tank today, will order moe crabs between trying to get it to recognize the other stuff as food.

While there is no problem with prophylactic use of general cure, if they are eating the fiddler crabs, the concern of internal parasites may be unwarranted. I used to treat all prophylactically but started to do an observational decision. As long as they are eating, technically, you don't need to treat. But if they go off eating or their appetite becomes insatiable, this could be an indicator of an issue. They can live fine with parasites for weeks before it becomes deadly, so close observation should be done for at least 4 weeks. Look around the tank for what may appear as shredded plastic, white stringy poo.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably be a few months before I move it over once it gets bigger, I'll keep an eye for poop but I generally go through this process with the other fish before putting em into the main. Just the first time I've had trouble getting something to eat since I had a commet some years back.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to this. I picked up a 12 to 14 inch Zebra eel as well. I myself am having trouble with it eating dead food. Like raw shrimp, clams on a half shell, etc. It does eat Fiddler crabs. But thats the only thing that it eats. Kinda sucks. I've been trying to get it to eat dead fresh food but it does not want it at all. So luckily Im in Florida so I just go to the local fish bait shop and buy the fiddler crabs by the dozens. It does suck though because Its an additional thing I have to do. Hopefully, it starts eating raw shrimp and everything else soon.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to this. I picked up a 12 to 14 inch Zebra eel as well. I myself am having trouble with it eating dead food. Like raw shrimp, clams on a half shell, etc. It does eat Fiddler crabs. But thats the only thing that it eats. Kinda sucks. I've been trying to get it to eat dead fresh food but it does not want it at all. So luckily Im in Florida so I just go to the local fish bait shop and buy the fiddler crabs by the dozens. It does suck though because Its an additional thing I have to do. Hopefully, it starts eating raw shrimp and everything else soon.

Have you tried this yet; feed the crab using your feeding tongs, that starts to get them used to eating from the tongs. How often are you feeding them.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried this yet; feed the crab using your feeding tongs, that starts to get them used to eating from the tongs. How often are you feeding them.

I've read your posts and I'm feeding every 3 days. My zebra is more of a baby or juvenile. Smaller length and smaller head. It eats about 3 fiddler crabs every 3 days. I've had bigger zebra eels (18 to 24 inches) and didn't have issues feeding it jumbo shrimp or prawns. Especially using the tongs. Just a little more of a struggle with the smaller zebra eel because it is super skittish with the tongs. But goes full on hunt mode when I drop the fiddler crabs in the tank.

I'll try to feed exclusively fiddler crabs via tongs to condition it to my feeding schedule. Plus I think your right, feeding with tongs might help depress the hunting behavior.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back