Zoas melting! Calling all zoa experts

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef, about 100 gallon tank. My SPS and LPS, and evening soft corals seems to be happy campers. But my zoas have sat without growing for 6 months, and now seem to be receding. The skirt is thinning, not all are opening.. something is definitely wrong. Anyone experience similar or have an idea?

params:

SG: 1.026
Nitrates: ~5
Phos: 0.03-.06
Alk: 7.8
CA: 430
Mag: 1310

Here’s a few shots, and a tank shot for placement/lighting etc. the zoas look worse in person even.

E382D131-50C6-4A4A-B0A7-784E818257EF.jpeg 3B5064D9-E242-4A17-A80F-384BA5E3894A.jpeg 11CBF9CD-A5F9-40ED-A97F-CAAC762E8E9C.jpeg

Omar Marambio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Deep the zoas first in iodine and after revive, check if you have flatworms, you can see them getting out once you turn off the lights and light the aquarium with red lights

OP
OP
Jax15

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm good tips to look for. I like that you’re all offering examples beyond “light flow params” etc. what would the nudis look like so I can identify them?

I haven’t noticed signs of Dino’s, but will keep a close eye on the indicators you mentioned.
Also, a dip is a good idea. I only have iodine and coralRX, but should work similar to revive in combo. Worth a shot!

BeachBumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm good tips to look for. I like that you’re all offering examples beyond “light flow params” etc. what would the nudis look like so I can identify them?

I haven’t noticed signs of Dino’s, but will keep a close eye on the indicators you mentioned.
Also, a dip is a good idea. I only have iodine and coralRX, but should work similar to revive in combo. Worth a shot!

Revive kinda smells like pine sol ? Anybody notice that ?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your skirts are loosing mad color, I think your blasting em with too much blue only light personally, thats what overexposed zoas look like , when they are hiding from the PUR. I suppose you run a "very blue" spectrum , would I be correct . Whats your lighting , photoperiod , and spectrum. I think your way over the DRI for those badbois.

OP
OP
Jax15

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good line of thought, but I actually run a pretty wide spectrum. Kessil a360x with a good amount of white during peak daylight, and have T5 with 2x blue plus, 1x actinic, and 1x coral plus. Photoperiod is pretty typical. Def lots of blue morning/evening though.

Update: I pulled my Rastas off and gave them a dip in coral Rx, then moved them higher up in the tank. I'll pick another frag to give a more aggressive iodine dip and then replace. Hopefully can tell from this if placement and/or pests are the cause.

Those nudis are nasty lookin!

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Iodide and magnesium and I also feed Benereefs and Reef-roids. My Zoas grow out of control

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back