Using a Turf algae scrubber for nutrient export

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=&quot]The turf algae scrubber [/FONT][FONT=&quot] (TAS) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]has been around for a long time. Commercial fish farmers use them, in huge mats, to remove nitrates from the stock ponds in which they farm fresh and saltwater fish for consumption. TAS have been used in the aquarium hobby for many years, as well. Some hobbyist will use them as a natural nitrate reducing tool where others will move on to the newest technology for nitrate removal. If you have the space, they are a low cost filtration system that is very easy to maintain and very effective. Some benefits of the TAS, besides nitrate reduction are;[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Will pull nitrates and phosphates from existing live rock, once those elements have been removed from the water column.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Place for pods to grow and live since they feed on the micro algae[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]No moving parts[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Only need a pump or you can feed directly from the tank via gravity[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Increases O2 in the tank[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Reduces algae growth in the display tank[/FONT]
Huhhhhhscrubber.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Have you ever gone to the beach and seen algae growing on the pylons supporting the boardwalks? That is turf algae. Being dry does not kill it. In fact, if you can build your TAS so that it is exposed to air, for a few minutes at a time, it will be even more effective than providing a 24 x 7 source of water. There are currently three active users in the Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society, that I know of, that are using TAS on their systems. Myself, Calvin415, and Huhhhhh. Huhhhhh’s Scrubber build can be found here: Huhhhhh Scrubber. Mr Liriel designed and posted up a DIY on one as well and can be found here: Mr Liriel Scrubber . Calvin415 is running a TAS on his nano tank with great results.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]How to build a TAS.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I built my scrubber on the theory that you need 1 square inch for every gallon of water in the system 300 gallons = 300 square inches or 10†x 30â€. I started out with some 1†PVC pipe and cut a slot down the center with my table saw. If you can keep from going all the way through, it is better as your end caps will be much more snug of a fit.
IMG_2111.jpg

I then cut slots perpendicular to the long axis of the pipe. This is to allow water to flow out and down the screen.

On the other end, I built the supply line out of a PVC T and barb fitting;
IMG_2109.jpg

For my set up, the slot down the axis is 28 ½†long and two gutter guards are siliconed together;
IMG_2138.jpg

I cut the top of the screen perpendicular to the screen to create tabs that slip in the slot that was cut out of the
IMG_2137.jpg

In hind sight, after trial and error, you should use something that is much more porous so the algae have a base to adhere to. I ended up going with plastic needle point material and attached that to the gutter guard. The key to this is to make it as rough as you can. As rough as a cactus.

I used a Lights of America PC flood light that is only 65 watts but puts out enough to grow algae; http://www.lightsofamerica.com/en/Products/9265.aspx
IMG_2140.jpg

Since I first built this, back in 2009, I have gone to 4 50 watt flood lights. I really think PC lighting would be the most effective for this set up because of its 30†length vs the floods. 75 watt floods burn the algae that grows on the screen so I try and stick with the 50s

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maintenance[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Clean the scrubber every 7-10 days. Remove the brown algae and let the green grow. You will know it is turf algae as it looks fluffy and stringy. I use a hose with pressure nozzle on it to blow the brown algae off. The Turf Algae is pretty tough and you don't loose much during cleaning.

Once the turf algae has taken root, you clean ½ of the scrubber every week so that it grows rapidly. The faster you get it to grow, the more effective it is. I alternate sides every cleaning

As far as spectrum on your lights you can use 5K to 6500K bulbs with good results. I run my lighting 12 hours a day, per side, but alternate sides so each side is getting 12 hours a day. You can illuminate it up to 18 hours a day.

When I first discovered this method of nutrient export, it was from a user named SantaMonica. I read through his trial and errors and adapted them to my use. He was pretty much the source of information, back then. Now, if you do a google search on turf algae scrubber, you get all kinds of videos and links to commercial sites, as well as users who have done DIY on them.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done. One of those areas I hope to delve into at some point.

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following SantaMonica's threads since he was playing around with bucket turf scrubbers. I have a new post worthy scrubber on my new tank. I'll get around to making a thread about it when my life settles back down. Or within the next hundred years, which ever comes first.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. I had a TAS on a 30 gallon seahorse tank that kept the water crystal clear even after feeding those messy pigs. TAS is a very simple effective nutrient export. Key is to make sure and clean the screen! Just like not cutting Chaeto can lead to problems, letting a TAS go will cause all kinds of problems.

I ran pretty much the same setup with a few small differences. I used two pieces of roughed up plastic screen sandwich together. For lights I used screw-in 23 watt compact florescent 2700k bulbs. They grow algea great and are energy efficient. I cleaned the entire screen every 7 days. Using two pieces of plastic kept enough algea alive between the sheet and after cleaning I had a nice build up within 24 hours. Right now I don't have a setup that works with a TAS but I will definitely build one again!

ImageX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you mentioned this in your first post but is very important is anyone is following this to build theirs.. but the screen or whatever your using to catch the algae the surface has to be rough so like sandpaper the hell out of it or use a holesaw and scrape it all up before assembling.. it helps for the algae to have something to grab ahold of.. promotes better growth..

ultramafic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this for about 8 months on my last tank. I had a ton of algae on my scrubber, cleaned it regularly, but it never helped my algae issues. I'm still sold on these things, and fairly certain that there must have been something i was doing wrong, and i'll probably eventually set one up on my sump (currently i have my sump outside with 60 mangroves in the fuge side getting direct sunlight). I may end up changing out the mangroves for a scrubber but i'm just ****** at them right now for failing on my last time!

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd. I had an ATS setup on my 90, and had great results. I had no algae problem in my DT. And I had probably the cheapest setup imaginable.

Borge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using ATS for the better part of three years or so, sold off my large 902 skimmer two years ago and picked up a small hob skimmer to surface skim my lowest part in the sump, this only to untangle my ATO from the foaming that occurred.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new things to note:

1. Scrubbers are now be sized according to feeding. Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons you have. So...

An example VERTICAL waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (50 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (50 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

HORIZONTAL screens: Multiply the screen size by 4, and the wattage by 1.5

Flow is 24 hours, and is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen [60 lph per cm], EVEN IF one sided or horizontal.

Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.

Clean algae off of screen every 7 to 14 days, so that you can see the white screen material.

2. A brand new scrubber version will be posted for DIY in early 2012. You probably already have all the parts.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually sold the vertical, and not the horizontal. But nevertheless, I just sold the last one and won't be making more until I post the DIY plans of the brand new version in March. Then if enough people still want the old vertical version, I'll make them again.

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some pictures of my Scrubber in my gallery if anyone wants to see them. I used the advise from this site to build, it is working great...ty again guys! It is 1 month old!

99taws6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are unable to have a screen the proper size for your tank would you still receive "half" of the benefit if you made it half size?

Also what are the flow requirements? Just a trickle to keep it moist?

Thanks I think I'm gonna build this

OP
OP
Murfman

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are unable to have a screen the proper size for your tank would you still receive "half" of the benefit if you made it half size?

Also what are the flow requirements? Just a trickle to keep it moist?

Thanks I think I'm gonna build this

Any is more benefit than non. Is it possible for you to turn the TAS horizontal vs. vertical? What about multiple screens and lights?

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New screen sized are much smaller:

Scrubbers are now sized according to feeding. Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons you have. So...

An example VERTICAL waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (30 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

HORIZONTAL screens: Multiply the screen size by 4, and the wattage by 1.5Flow is 24 hours, and is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen [60 lph per cm], EVEN IF one sided or horizontal.

Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.

Clean algae off of screen every 7 to 14 days, so that you can see the white screen material.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back