★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REMOVE THE DEAD (Carib Sea) ROCK ARCH (Too much of a EYE SORE DISTRATION) on a Clean New Tank (CURING IT in Bucket)

I love the Shape and Look of the CaribSea Rock. But it was getting worse and worse (Kind of Curing/Aging in my Tank)

41925683195_8eea400085_z.jpg

The Live Rocks have not issue, and you can see, the Algae STOPS dead at the JOINT.

Even the new Snails wouldn't touch the rock.

SO I REMOVE IT and will cure in a bucket. (For a few weeks)

42826636781_6efaf05560_z.jpg

Just a Pump for Circulation. Heater and Airline/Air Stone. In WC DT Water.
I EVEN THREW IN the remainder of a Batch of MATURE Live Brine Shrimps.

THIS PUT A DENT into my Frag Mounting Plans.

That Arch had some good mounting places. To directly mount Frags (removed from Plugs).

I'm still moving forward with Frag Mounting. Just on plug for now.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NEW TANK IS OFFICIALLY A SPS TANK (( The Next CHAPTER of the Journey Begin )) FRAGS MOUNTED

Having the CaribSea Arch go South on me, was a blessing in disguise. I FORGOT about my TUBINARIA Coral from my OLD TANK (the only survivor).
It wouldn't have fit withe Arch in Place without covering good SPS mounting locations.

I'll find a different way to place the Carib Rock. Something to expand hideaways for fish (Copperband seems to need a cave of his own)

A snail knocked over one Frag off the Rack, and that's when I decided, Frag must be mounted.

HERE IS THE TANK with Everyone on Board.

42828269291_be5ca0ba0c_h.jpg

Not the best photo, I need to Learn T5 Lighting Photography. MH Lighting was easy.

However I have a Reference Photo.

Onward.....

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wally looks nice but I worry that you have the tubniaria too high up on your aquascape, I can see it doubling or tripling in diameter which will shade a significant number of corals underneath. Consider lowering it so when it grows out, it shades less space
21f2e84ee9e680b66807a9608437da53.jpg

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wally looks nice but I worry that you have the tubniaria too high up on your aquascape, I can see it doubling or tripling in diameter which will shade a significant number of corals underneath. Consider lowering it so when it grows out, it shades less space

It's easy to move since base is attached to Putty Feet (It won't encrust on the rock).
Plus they grow really slow.

and it's better then the arch for shading (for now)

Everything is better than on the Frag Rack. More Frags to come, and things in short term before Encrustment can be move.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are different with this new TANK (Water Chemistry and SPS)

I feel really positive about the NEW tank. I am seeing things are quite different from my old setup (before the flood and discovered DishWasher Leak).

That Soap going into my RO reservoir must have been the cause of much grief and head scratching for over a year.

NOW my ALK and CALCIUM is perfectly balanced. Same for MAG and it's all without any chasing number effort.

What i just realized is if my RO source water was contaminated then it must have affect more than my TOP uP and Water changes.

It also affected my dosing since I made my A/B part with 75% RO water.

Than contaminent was regular and random and that is what was driving me nuts.

No wonder my SPS frags wouldn't encrust after many weeks. They needed stability since senstive and Soap and dishwasher drain additive was the last thing they needed.

Hoping the bad luck Gremlin/Curse is a thing of the past.[/B]

Last edited:

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are different with this new TANK (Water Chemistry and SPS)

I feel really positive about the NEW tank. I am seeing things are quite different from my old setup (before the flood and discovered DishWasher Leak).

That Soap going into my RO reservoir must have been the cause of much grief and head scratching for over a year.

NOW my ALK and CALCIUM is perfectly balanced. Same for MAG and it's all without any chasing number effort.

What i just realized is if my RO source water was contaminated then it must have affect more than my TOP uP and Water changes.

It also affected my dosing since I made my A/B part with 75% RO water.

Than contaminent was regular and random and that is what was driving me nuts.

No wonder my SPS frags wouldn't encrust after many weeks. They needed stability since senstive and Soap and dishwasher drain additive was the last thing they needed.

Hoping the bad luck Gremlin/Curse is a thing of the past.[/B]
Yeah, that dishwasher leak much have done a number on your water chemistry... here is to a 'brighter' future - SPS bun intended :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem @Vivid Creative Aquatics -- Anybody who's used one can recommend it pretty easily. It's rare that something does what it should, let alone surpass expectations.

And @WallyB -- This is going to be different. You may kill a frag or make a mistake or whatever, but you were (as you stated) steadily poisoning your last tank by mistake. Every water change, every drop from the doser, each fill from the ATO. You'll be surprised how well SPS thrive when you aren't accidentally poisoning them with every method possible :D

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem @Vivid Creative Aquatics -- Anybody who's used one can recommend it pretty easily. It's rare that something does what it should, let alone surpass expectations.

And @WallyB -- This is going to be different. You may kill a frag or make a mistake or whatever, but you were (as you stated) steadily poisoning your last tank by mistake. Every water change, every drop from the doser, each fill from the ATO. You'll be surprised how well SPS thrive when you aren't accidentally poisoning them with every method possible :D
Rakie, your word of mouth is Spreading. Tenurepro just ordered a VCA nozzle or two.

Yeah, what a relief with the NON-Poisoned tank. I feel sane after 2 years of insanity.
I have no idea when the Dishwater drip started, but when I discovered it, the back of the Kitchen Bottom cupboard was Rotted, mush, and mold).
All those nice clean bottles of kitchen cleaning supplies, hid what was going on at the back.
The only positive outcome, is I really struggled to perfect things, honed my husbandry skills beyond the normal, so it might just get a whole lot easier.

I have a reminder bin of the dozens of Frags I killed. Some where potential beauties. Half a dozen were High End & expensive.
This time, not a single frag has degraded yet in the NEW TANK (KNOCK ON WOOD/GLASS/PLASTIC/PAPER and STONE).
Only one got bleached, in my Test Frag Tank (I burned it by the Power LED).

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SKIMMER Testing/Tuning/ FIX (( ** RLSS DB8I, wins HANDS DOWN, over OLD EUROREEF ))

For years, I kept giving up on permanently installing the RLLS DB8i Skimmer.
Part of the reason is I lost confidence due to the CORALS Degrading (contamination), and I was scrambling for a Root Cause.
So I would Yank the DB8i, and go back to the stable Euroreef.

This time, things are going well and I figure the Db8i Out.

So this is the result after a side by side RUN in Sump.

42877157481_b59052df80_z.jpg

Pretty clear the DB8i works better (Skims wet), runs quieter, has more capacity, and it easier to maintain.

This is how I improved things this time.

28008496617_861e217d84_z.jpg

1) I was patient and let the Skimmer Break IN Properly (That made it easier to Tune without chasing the correct setting)
2) I raised the skimmer to a level that balanced it (allowing a FINE TUNING range of operation DRY vs WET Skimming)
3) The DB8i is pressure sensitive, so my Variable Speed Return Pump isn't something the skimmer likes to stay stable
-----------> Placing in a separate SUMP Refuge compartment keeps the pressure stable (independent from Sump Flow, Maintenance)
-----------> Feeding the Skimmer compartment using a Maxijet Pump (placed near the Tank Return Surface of Sump)
-----------> And something New is I routed the Skimmer Compartment (into/under the basket, directly into the Skimmer INPUT), while output is directed back into the Compartment

4) And last but not least (since the Skimmer compartment is separate and (fed/drained slowly), it recirculates the Water so is really Skimmed Completely)
-----------> This also helps with filtering out any micro bubbles (Before Water sent to Tank Return Pump)

After a bit more observations, I will be removing the EuroReef (might be used for a Future Frag Tank)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem @Vivid Creative Aquatics -- Anybody who's used one can recommend it pretty easily. It's rare that something does what it should, let alone surpass expectations...

Thank you so much for the awesome support - customers such as yourself are the lifeblood of accompany like ours.

@WallyB - the tank is coming along nicely. Can'twait to see this grow out. That issue with the live rock is interesting. Never really thought about it, but now that you brought it up, I have seen a similar issue on some our tanks over the years. It usually works itself out, but pulling the rock was probably not a bad idea. Besides, once you can bring it back in, your fish will thank you. Fish (at least in my tank) seem to always like some change periodically. I try and bring in a new rock or tweak a structure once or twice a year. It keeps things interesting for them :)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Coming to an END SOON ( More Load, Skimmer tuned just in time) Getting Excited about the Last Fish going in.

I always used to just Toss my fish in, but that was years ago (and I got lucky for while, till that Velvet Outbreak that wiped out my Kitchen Tank about 7 years go).

I will admit QT was a chore, but the Success is worth every bit of sweat. Learn a lot this time (Acclimatization, Meds, QT conditioning, etc)

28010247537_76b36646a9_c.jpg

Both QT are off all MEDS. I did a water change, and now running Carbon.

The Wannatabei PAIR are doing great. Just waiting for the Tail bite to completely heal.

And the Carriberryi Anthias made it. :):) Just 3 out of original 10. :(
They are looking great, and I see their colors really improving.
These are precious to me. So I am acclimatizing them to DT water in the 10Gal QT. Then I can sling Shot them over.

So doing QT has achieved the following result:

-> 2x Copperband Butterflys (Both Trained to Eat, One cured of ICH using Tank Transfer Method)

-> 3x Cariberryi Anthias Treated Trained to eat (Copper Treated, Antibiotics, Prazi Treatment) Rest died of Acclimatization Shock, 1 Jumped, 1 Transfer, and couple of some RED Gut death)
-> 1x Sunburst Anthias (Just aged in QT, General Meds)
-> 1x Blue Green Chromis (Double Copper treatment, by mistake but he made it)
-> 1x Pair of Beuatiful Wanatabei Angels (No illness, just precautionary meds. No copper)
-

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice how each QT run was improved on the last. The angel pair benefited fromcyour trial and error.

The good thing is once you QT a few times you can run it much more smoothly

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the awesome support - customers such as yourself are the lifeblood of accompany like ours

And companies like yours are what motivates people like us. Too much bait and switch in our world. A product that does what it's supposed to has become far too rare. There's a reason my entire club fell in love with the VCA at last years RAP California -- Our 150g display was having flow issues due to pumps that didn't get delivered by mistake. Two 3/4" VCA nozzles gave the entire system good flow from one return pump.

In essence -- It works great, and it's not fake marketing. A true quality product in our hobby is it's own reward.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And companies like yours are what motivates people like us. Too much bait and switch in our world. A product that does what it's supposed to has become far too rare. There's a reason my entire club fell in love with the VCA at last years RAP California -- Our 150g display was having flow issues due to pumps that didn't get delivered by mistake. Two 3/4" VCA nozzles gave the entire system good flow from one return pump.

In essence -- It works great, and it's not fake marketing. A true quality product in our hobby is it's own reward.
I sense Company/Customer LOVE :) But I'm loving the VCA nozzle too!!! (and it hasn't done anything Yet for My SPS, But I know it will)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Water Parameter (WOW!! Things ARE clicking in place...just in time)

I though I'd check my N & P since it was dropping and having DOUBLE SKIMMERS running must have helped.

Nitrate is at 5

I got scared since my
HANNA Low Res show Phosphate [ 0.00 ] on the EGG (that worried me a bit since I want Detectable PO4)

Then my HANNA ULTRA LOW RES Picked up Phosphate at 0.03 ppm

I could understand the Skimmer doing some Nitrate Reduction, but not so much on P, since I removed the Phosphate Reactor a while ago.
I checked the SUMP and found a tiny media baggie Of PhosGuard under the Carbon Baggie. (It's removed and will be watching)

It is pretty good for new NEWCOMER SPS. just
MUST STAY STABLE.

Alk (6.8) and Calcium (405) are Stable, as can be, since Alk is being consumed more daily, and I'm bump up Dosing to match.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Coming to an END SOON ( More Load, Skimmer tuned just in time) Getting Excited about the Last Fish going in.

I always used to just Toss my fish in, but that was years ago (and I got lucky for while, till that Velvet Outbreak that wiped out my Kitchen Tank about 7 years go).

I will admit QT was a chore, but the Success is worth every bit of sweat. Learn a lot this time (Acclimatization, Meds, QT conditioning, etc)

28010247537_76b36646a9_c.jpg

Both QT are off all MEDS. I did a water change, and now running Carbon.

The Wannatabei PAIR are doing great. Just waiting for the Tail bite to completely heal.

And the Carriberryi Anthias made it. :):) Just 3 out of original 10. :(
They are looking great, and I see their colors really improving.
These are precious to me. So I am acclimatizing them to DT water in the 10Gal QT. Then I can sling Shot them over.

So doing QT has achieved the following result:

-> 2x Copperband Butterflys (Both Trained to Eat, One cured of ICH using Tank Transfer Method)

-> 3x Cariberryi Anthias Treated Trained to eat (Copper Treated, Antibiotics, Prazi Treatment) Rest died of Acclimatization Shock, 1 Jumped, 1 Transfer, and couple of some RED Gut death)
-> 1x Sunburst Anthias (Just aged in QT, General Meds)
-> 1x Blue Green Chromis (Double Copper treatment, by mistake but he made it)
-> 1x Pair of Beuatiful Wanatabei Angels (No illness, just precautionary meds. No copper)
-
how did the angel's tail heal Wally?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
healing is slow but progressing.
Back pressure will depend on how much flow you try to push through them . At around the 1,000GPH mark, the 3/4in nozzle will create around 20% head pressure loss. Dropping from 1in to 3/4in will create some of that pressure.

With said, i just ran some tests on our test bed tank. I set the pump to max (920 GPH) -

Straight - 1in pipe - 920 GPH
Straight 1in Pipe reduced to 3/4in Loc-line - 3/4in Y and some 3/4in loc-line for a dual outlet r - output 874GPH
1in Pipe reduced to 3/4in Loc-line with Dual Nozzles - with the 3/4in Y, some loc-line and two 3/4in RFGs - output 820-825GPH

hope that helps.
Hi @Vivid Aquariums

My Return Pump starting clicking after a long no-decalcify. So while soaking in Vinegar Wash, I noticed I have a 12000, not at 10,000

42841599702_a24551e72f_c.jpg

I still haven't received the pair of 3/4" nozzle, however maybe this is why the 12000 is doing the Job on the 1". ( My height is just at 3ft 4inches. A a few feet or ribbed 1.5" sump hose, before 1" reduction)

What do you think?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
healing is slow but progressing.

Hi @Vivid Aquariums

My Return Pump starting clicking after a long no-decalcify. So while soaking in Vinegar Wash, I noticed I have a 12000, not at 10,000

42841599702_a24551e72f_c.jpg

I still haven't received the pair of 3/4" nozzle, however maybe this is why the 12000 is doing the Job on the 1". ( My height is just at 3ft 4inches. A a few feet or ribbed 1.5" sump hose, before 1" reduction)

What do you think?
That's kind of a nice surprise - That extra flow would definitely make a difference. Even with the head height, it would be plenty to drive the 1in RFG

Just out of curiosity which one of our re-sellers did you order the 3/4in RFGs from?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back