★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good - It's a tough call on which size RFG Nozzle to stick with.
  • The 3/4in RFG seems to push a little further as I would expect it too given the amount of flow you're pushing through it.
  • The 1in RFG however has a wider pattern, and since you have the other flow pumps in there you may not need the distance.
I'm leaning towards the single 1in RFG in this case. I would still like to he see the dual 3/4in RFG setup though with the pump at max as well.

Either way they are both definitely an improvement over the straight flow in top video. Thanks for creating this video.

I agree on going with the 1" RFG.

In person the 1" actually appears to reach further than the 3/4" since more Water Flow (looking from the Back of Tank it's more obvious).
The Gyre Paddles are each different. The Back one points more UP to not Smack the Acro with Continous Laminar Flow.
The Front Gyre Paddle in more into CENTER OF TANK since nothing in the way.

Plus more flow with the 1" (while pump is on same setting) mean less back pressure on my REFURBISHED Sea-Swirl.
I can actually see the backpressure difference, since a the Back of the Swirl Elbow connector is a small Siphon Break Hole.
I see more squirt pressure out of it on the 3/4" RFG

SO that 1" RFG is designed for a 1" pipe. It would be great to have a similar Ball JOINT to angle the RFG a tiny bit down.
When the 1" is level, it also injects are stream up to the Water Surface. My EuroTrim keeps it contained with tank but some does splash.
I put a tiny piece of clear Acrylic Sheet there to extend the EuroBrace.
If there is no such thing a a BALL JOINT conector, then I will try an Melt the 1' Pipe bend a few degrees down.

VCA do you have a solution for me?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great video. Thanks! I happened to rewind it and noticed if I scrubbed forward and backward at a bit faster speed, one can really see how the RFG nozzle shapes the water. Even with the gyre at 100% the RFG continued to slap the flow pattern around in the same manner. The three videos viewed together make it very clear how and where the RFG imposes its randomness.
Yes, the side by side really helped me too. I don't have Video Graphic memory.
And BIG KUDOS to my SON for teaching me VEGAS PRO video editor.
Going to learn more, and make Future videos even better.

I need to learn To Photograph with T5s bulbs next.
Plan B is I throw in a WHITE LED Strip to take photos.
Or some other solution like White Balance Setting on SLR Camera.
I will Also try my Canon Point and shoot. The one I have for my Scuba/Snorkeling, since it has a Underwater mode.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the anthias made it to the DT, and good video on the flow dynamics.
Yeah. Happy but scared a bit.

One is kinda out today.
The other two. No idea. (CORRECTION, while typing I saw one other at the Surface, hiding behind Sea Swirl)
Seems I have a Pair and Single (just like in QT). Feeding time got them togther.
Could be Male/Female thing.
Wish I had all 5, but 3 is better than nothing.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO that 1" RFG is designed for a 1" pipe. It would be great to have a similar Ball JOINT to angle the RFG a tiny bit down.
When the 1" is level, it also injects are stream up to the Water Surface. My EuroTrim keeps it contained with tank but some does splash.
I put a tiny piece of clear Acrylic Sheet there to extend the EuroBrace.
If there is no such thing a a BALL JOINT conector, then I will try an Melt the 1' Pipe bend a few degrees down.

VCA do you have a solution for me?

We do - just released the new 1in RFG with a 1in Modular hose fitting a little over 3 weeks ago - you can learn more about it here. It even comes with the 1in NPT part.

BRS just got them in stock so you can get them there as well.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-ra...th-1-npt-adapter-vivid-creative-aquatics.html

RFGS100LLG_2286.jpg

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. Just what I want.

So does that mean the one I have wont' work with a 1in NPT? I'm assuming NOT compatible.

I need to contact Aquarium-Depot if they can get them. I have to return the 3/4" RFG pair anyway.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. Just what I want.

So does that mean the one I have wont' work with a 1in NPT? I'm assuming NOT compatible.

I need to contact Aquarium-Depot if they can get them. I have to return the 3/4" RFG pair anyway.
Correct - it's a different model the one you have is for slip-fitting to a PVC pipe. THis new one is for 1in modular hose and comes the with threaded NPT fitting. it iwll thread up directly to a 1in sea swirl - assuming you still have the Slip/threaded elbow on yours.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - it's a different model the one you have is for slip-fitting to a PVC pipe. THis new one is for 1in modular hose and comes the with threaded NPT fitting. it iwll thread up directly to a 1in sea swirl - assuming you still have the Slip/threaded elbow on yours.
yes, mine is a Threaded Elbow, 1 "

If retailer doesn't have it, I guess I can order directly from you. Ship to Canada. (hoping it is evelope shipping, since US to CDN shipping can be pricey)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, mine is a Threaded Elbow, 1 "

If retailer doesn't have it, I guess I can order directly from you. Ship to Canada. (hoping it is evelope shipping, since US to CDN shipping can be pricey)
Too big to ship in an envelope :)

But your retailer/local fish store may have it soon since our western US distributor just got their stock in last week.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP 40 Gyre Pump (Overahaul - Paddle Parts) ARRIVED [ Time to Program the Tank Circulation ]

That was quick. Stuff from China usually takes weeks, but my part for my Broken Paddle Wheel came (Right Paddle)

28164216437_a368dea148.jpg

This is going to crank up Circulation another Notch.

Even now the Euro Reef Brace has been Water Breached SPLASHES OVER THE TOP a few times (when crashes connect just right)
Can't imagine the over-spill if I never Had EuroBrace.

I've been only running the MaxSpect Gyre on the Apex, plus the SeaSwirl /VCA RFG doing it's thing. Every thing else has been fully on.

TIME TO Tune the tank circulation a bit more.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My confidence in SPS has taken a small hit (The Deep Blue Acro) has gone RTN. (nothing else!!!).

Strange since yesterday I was admiring how colorful it was.
29162644318_8b93ac7358_o.jpg

At this point it means nothing. Just like fish you loose some.

Now I'm watching the TANK with Magnifying Glass. (Like the bad old days :( )

Better check my Water Params, since all I was watching was ALK/CALC to get dosing stabilized. (Wonder what P is, it was around 0.04 last time I checked)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked Water.

N=10 ppm
P=0.08 ppm
ALK=6.5 (Stuggling to get it higher as I keep increasing Dose)
CALC=470 (Kind of high, in-balanced with ALK.....WILL LOWER B-Dose for a white)

But nothing is wrong.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked Water.

N=10 ppm
P=0.08 ppm
ALK=6.5 (Stuggling to get it higher as I keep increasing Dose)
CALC=470 (Kind of high, in-balanced with ALK.....WILL LOWER B-Dose for a white)

But nothing is wrong.
Looks like to me the NO3 is a bit on the high side for the low ALK you have. That has always caused issues in my tanks. Check your MAG is in a good range, as that may make is a little easier to stabilize/balance the ALK and CAL.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally, where is your Magnesium/Salinity? I had funky alk issues when my mag dipped. I also had funky mag issues when my Salinity dipped (remember to recalibrate your refractometer early and often... Ask how I know -_-)

Double check the SG and Mag, make sure to calibrate your refractometer so your sg is accurate. Your issue may be in this area.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally, where is your Magnesium/Salinity? I had funky alk issues when my mag dipped. I also had funky mag issues when my Salinity dipped (remember to recalibrate your refractometer early and often... Ask how I know -_-)

Double check the SG and Mag, make sure to calibrate your refractometer so your sg is accurate. Your issue may be in this area.
My MAG is 1280. My Salinity is very close to 1.0250 (I know since I made my own Calibration Solution, with a precision Hydrometer)

Made my Solution As below...(Even gave Reefmutt and Tenurpro a bottle).

37458146701_101360c85c_c.jpg

Last year when I was trying everything with my DishSoap Tank, I got Salinity perfect.

I tested and compared every tool I had.

36708093614_97c1d20ab0_c.jpg

With the calibration Solution, Even my OLD Hydrometer would if you calibrate them with a Mark showing 1.025.

ButI trust my Refratometer (calibrated) more.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rakie,

You were right about getting the right mix of Fish to made use of Different Zones in the Tank.

The Anthias are now out and comfortable. Swimming middle/top level.
43096322141_4f107e6ef0_b.jpg

They enjoy the current from the Sea Swirl, and swim in it constantly.

LOOKS GREAT (with a mini Threesome School). The Carriberryi Anthias have nice color looking from below.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your alk is getting used up quickly I guess!

Yeah it's nice filling out the zones your fish occupy. I got lucky and mine filled out pretty naturally. Until food hits the water of course, then everything is a surface dweller.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your alk is getting used up quickly I guess!

Yeah it's nice filling out the zones your fish occupy. I got lucky and mine filled out pretty naturally. Until food hits the water of course, then everything is a surface dweller.
40ml a day of ESV isn't that much.
Coraline is coming back, I have been adding frags, running two skimmers, and the Alage scrubber, plus some Chemipure Carbon.

What I want to get to is a stable equilibrium, but am really being careful not to spike ALK. Low increases are hard to tune up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back