★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bascially MY THEORY IS THIS.....

The Strawberry shortcake is my pulse and my Beacon that show stability the MOST.....It's the most sensitive SPS I have.
It isn't dead but showing the greatest negative reaction to the change in P.

I bet if I put a fresh SC in it would do great. STARTING At "Stable and Low P=0.1.

The other Frags are showing their displeasure by simply NO PE. Other don't care as much.

Thus I think I need to give things some time.

Trace Elements can't be bad with the Extra Water changes, and it's clear the water is good since the Water I took out, made my Kitchen Tank Bounce back.

Doing Aminos or Coral Feeding again, might help, but all the Fish Feeding (nutrient Import) and Good Skimming (Nutrient Export) has transient food for the corals.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LAST QT (To Complete 110 G Tank) PROMISE and Personal CHALLENGE

So if all goes well with the Anthias and no more fish die in SPS DT (needing replacement),
I will be done for Fishstock on my 110G Tank (promise).

30835395437_08b310b85c_b.jpg

The Firefish will 99% goes into the 90G LPS Kitchen Tank, and the 3 Anthais into the 110G SPS Tank.

If I break my Promise, and ANYONE Remembers this promise...(first one to post My Promise Break)....

I will build them A "Feed Mate MINDER" Deluxe, shipped to their door, at no $Cost.

If you put the firefish in the bully tank with the chromis and angel - you will never see it! My purple firefish was super timid

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless of course you did it already - I may have to eat my hat
I did, and you don't have to eat your hat. (You need that hat to keep warm since we had first snowfall today).

He is doing amazing. Fully out swimming in the middle of tank, and the Angel doesn't notice him. (They swim side by side).
The Chromis on the other hand only comes out to eat. Angel it 100% focused on only him. Even so, none of the Chromis bothered anyone except other Chromis.

I would say the Skunk Basslet is the only one that took a swipe at the Firefish. No contact, just "this is my cave".

Plus the Kitchen 90 is full of Branching Corals, and caves, so plenty of places for a Firefish to hang out in and peek out. (places nobody else could fit into).

Things are way more OPEN & COMPETIVE in my SPS tank, and your Jumbo (blue Green Chromis) and the Blue Angel would have kept the Firefish contained and isolated. Possibly till death.

I did think it thru and think it was right choice. If both lived, then both tanks would have gotten one firefish each. Too bad.
Maybe I should get the other one at LFS but then I would have to build everyone a "TANK MATE" Minder. :)

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to write this message for about 35 minutes now. I've deleted and rewritten it at least 4 times. So this time I'm just going to be painfully honest and to the point.

You are the problem.

Stop doing these things, and enjoy success;
- Phosguard
- Obsessive water changes
- Number chasing
- Testing N03/po4 (YES, don't even test, it's like a drug for number chasers)
- No swings of any single parameter at all (Alk, Cal, NO3, PO4 -- you name it, it shouldn't swing)

You're sabotaging yourself Wally. Everything was fine, then you started obsessing about numbers (which I've tried to stop you from doing before), and now you're getting issues. You are not the first person I've told to stop these things, and it always helps. You are artificially stopping your tank from maturing. You need to let it be alone and build up proper bacterias to take up nutrients. You need to trust me and 100% full stop these horrible habits.

I got you to start using fuel to help get things going, and it worked for you. You doubted it, but it helped. You need to trust that I'm seeing something you aren't.

Throw the phosguard away at the very, very, very, very least.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to write this message for about 35 minutes now. I've deleted and rewritten it at least 4 times. So this time I'm just going to be painfully honest and to the point.

You are the problem.

Stop doing these things, and enjoy success;
- Phosguard
- Obsessive water changes
- Number chasing
- Testing N03/po4 (YES, don't even test, it's like a drug for number chasers)
- No swings of any single parameter at all (Alk, Cal, NO3, PO4 -- you name it, it shouldn't swing)

You're sabotaging yourself Wally. Everything was fine, then you started obsessing about numbers (which I've tried to stop you from doing before), and now you're getting issues. You are not the first person I've told to stop these things, and it always helps. You are artificially stopping your tank from maturing. You need to let it be alone and build up proper bacterias to take up nutrients. You need to trust me and 100% full stop these horrible habits.

I got you to start using fuel to help get things going, and it worked for you. You doubted it, but it helped. You need to trust that I'm seeing something you aren't.

Throw the phosguard away at the very, very, very, very least.

Hang on......I have to STIR my newly purchased Bottle of NOPOX. (Nitrates are too high too) :)

Just kidding.

YOU ARE RIGHT!!

Let the tank just be Natural....Like my Kitchen Tank.

But to your point...
(All was stable. All parameters. N included). BUT P kept rising. (thus my chase)

P climbing past 0.25, then 0.29 almost at .3, it would have continued to rise. Maybe Leveled off.

But things did look better then. (@tenurepro will scold me since he said, like you said....If Tank looks good, leave it alone)

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. You have chosen to let your tank mature while you have corals in it -- that's fine -- but you're not letting it mature!

My phos is generally well over 0.4 -- No issues whatsoever with growth or color.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.......I removed the PhosGuard, and did one LAST Double TEST

Alk=7.8
Calc=470
Mag=1280
No3=25
Po4=0.14
SG=1.026

I'll check again in a couple of weeks (no peeking, except to watch Weekly Alk/Calc for Two Part Dosing adjustment if needed)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN the meantime, I noticed a new BRStv Video just came out.

WHY ARE WE CHASING Nitrates and Phosphates? (wonder what Ryan will say)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...osphates-the-brs-wwc-system-ep9-brstv.498865/

Perfect timing......

Will I put back the PhosGuard after working so hard many weeks....We'll see after I watch the Video. (Probably not....no matter what the BRStv episode says...Let the tank mature)

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you all the time, I barely do anything unless I notice a problem. When my corals started looking bad my first thought was instantly nutrients, I checked, and struggled to keep them up after going bare bottom. Just didn't work for me.

When my corals began to pale before years and years ago, it's because I was doing the same exact thing. I kept dosing nitrates and my corals just got more and more pale. I was told by all the "old salts" don't do phosphates. Phosphates are the devil. They'll kill everything, blah blah blah. I dosed phosphates and everything rebounded immediately.

My phos WAS at ZERO. Now I know, first hand experience, in a tank that doesn't have a very mature and large biological cycle going on (Lots of Ammonia, and Nitrates and Phosphates through natural chemical reactions) ends up with a tank that has paling corals.

The tanks that get away with zero N03/po4 typically are very large and full of tangs. Smaller tanks kept like this often struggle. Newer tanks as well.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SMART Percula Clown.....Finally teaches Other Clown (how to get a good nights sleep) HOST a BED

One clown Decided to host my Trumpet Cluster (especially at night when it shrinks and make Gaps), but the other one didn't.

Every night I'd pass by and feel sorry for the Guy Floating at the Top of Tank, Struggling against the flow to sleep. EVEN LAST NIGHT.

TONIGHT he finally learned from the other Clown.

45806940831_275a54eeec.jpg

Sweet Dreams...Buddy!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put the firefish in the bully tank with the chromis and angel - you will never see it! My purple firefish was super timid
Well @tenurepro you had me concerned that you might be right...... Since today, NO Firefish out this morning.

But I wasn't worried since even in QT he was a late to wake up. Wouldn't really get active till lights came on.

He is now out and same as yesterday (front and center). Cosy and friendly with all the fish.

30877886327_33e20351c1_c.jpg

Tank just took a jump on Looking better (just because of One Tiny Fish)......He Stands out a lot when moving.

Well the Flame Hawk when out, and same for Skunk Basslet are nice, but not as visible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you all the time, I barely do anything unless I notice a problem. When my corals started looking bad my first thought was instantly nutrients, I checked, and struggled to keep them up after going bare bottom. Just didn't work for me.

When my corals began to pale before years and years ago, it's because I was doing the same exact thing. I kept dosing nitrates and my corals just got more and more pale. I was told by all the "old salts" don't do phosphates. Phosphates are the devil. They'll kill everything, blah blah blah. I dosed phosphates and everything rebounded immediately.

My phos WAS at ZERO. Now I know, first hand experience, in a tank that doesn't have a very mature and large biological cycle going on (Lots of Ammonia, and Nitrates and Phosphates through natural chemical reactions) ends up with a tank that has paling corals.

The tanks that get away with zero N03/po4 typically are very large and full of tangs. Smaller tanks kept like this often struggle. Newer tanks as well.

So I watched the BRS N&P Video. Looks like for a Tank like mine (old Rocks, old sump) a reasonable Target is STABLE (N<25, and P< 0.5). As you say....Key is stable.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OVER REACTION...yesterday ( Tank is fine) Glow is back (after Cleaning Glass :) )

I think I over-reacted yesterday. Mostly the Patches of Cyano got me thinking Ugly.

I haven't been watching the tank much building the Tank Mate Feeder Minder.

So when I looked last night, main light were not on. Didn't notice the film of Algae on Glass.

Cleaned Glass it today and everything looks much better.

To double check. (DID PHOTO COMPARE) and Tank is actually getting better (PE, Color & Growth)

TODAY
31947612678_49b9fb5851_b.jpg

Few Weeks ago
45421074101_cefae844e5_b.jpg

Even Further Back in Time
31252266438_604337680c_b.jpg

I am relieved that nothing is going wrong. (except Cyano...No big deal)......BUT I SEE A PATTERN (Cyano is where rock is exposed since no Coraline Coverage)
Cyano can make anyone feel down about their Tank.....

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL well that's good! It sounds like I tend to agree with @tenurepro though -- If it's doing well, leave it alone!

I'm glad you aren't killing them of course, but I would stay the course and stop trying to improve things :D
Well, I just having one of the Blue Days. Maybe because days are getting Short/Dark. Started to Snow and Slush. Things you don't have living in Southern California (the cold and snow part)

Yeah...I will leave tank alone.....Except Cleaning Glass. Amazing how much better it looks (just removing the thin Algae film...that was kind of getting thicker. DUHH).

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't fight the cyano so hard. Emrace it. You know it's temporary. Buy a coral that compliments it. Go with the flow.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fight the cyano so hard. Emrace it. You know it's temporary. Buy a coral that compliments it. Go with the flow.
:) :) That is probably the funniest post ever. :) :)
You should start a thread. " Best Corals's to compliment your CYANO Look"
lol :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back