★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Essential (Amino & Gro) Order Arrives

32103907428_5a27ea835f_z.jpg

Just showed up.

Something for 2019. Will be using up my AquaForest ABEV since no point in changing anything while things are going well.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INNOVATE MARINE (Gourmet Grazer : Nori Feeder) Vendor Replacement (Free)

Another package arrived......

I contacted Innovative Marine since two of my Grazers Rusted at the Magnet Side (Both after Warranty)

But they were nice enough to send me a Free Replacement. (one).

32103980858_ba79d251e6_c.jpg

The newer version is Epoxy Sealed.

If you have one of the old ones, watch it closely. They Rust open, and iron particles/rust leach out.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias HEALTH BOOST ( Food Additives/Vitamins) ** Finally GOT SELCON **

Since decision is to keep Anthias in QT. They will be fed well and good food too.

@Rakie can't stop talking about SELCON,
and I haven't been able to get any in CANADA.....Till now.

2018-11-21_FishFoodVitamins.jpg

Soaking various foods (Frozen, and dried).

Other fish will also benefit from the EXTRA Care for the Cariberryi Anthias.

I WISH I ATE THIS HEALTHY

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to TACKLE ( Cyano in SPS TANK ) Two GOOD REASONS

Normally I would let Cyano run it's course, however my situation is a bit different now.

This hit me last day when I did my Water Change in my 110G SPS TANK.......

I recently started using my SPS Tank Change Water for my other 90 Gallon Kitchen Tank.

** I DON'T Want to Infect other Tank with Cyano Bacteria *** ( SO I dumped the WC water and didn't use it this time....especially since I was siphoning off Cyano)

I don't believe in Products that KILL "bacteria" or "anything"... (like ChemiClean) since they can throw a system out of whack.

So I got some CyanoClean. Already have the Coral Snow.
2018-11-21_CyanoCleanTreatment.jpg

I have used Cyano Clean before successfully. It's slow but effective, since it's just GOOD Bacteria that "Outcompetes the Cyano Bacteria".
Used with Coral Snow as Media it's even more effective.

I got the larger bottle (50ml) this time and not the (10ml) that I usually get.
The price difference is justified since I will be saving SALT by re-using Water From on DT to the Other.

CyanoClean can be used as a treatment when there is a Cyano Outbreak, but also as a light in-frequent additive to keep Cyano is check (in either of my Tanks).

THE OTHER REASON for going to CYANO CLEAN Treament is as @Janci mentioned..... Amino's can feed Cyano.
After seeing the benefits of Adding Amino's I rather continue Amino's and offset Cyano Blooms with the Cyano Clean.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYANO Bacteria ( FTS REFERENCE PHOTO) DAY 0 - CyanoClean Treatment

Here are my spot of Cyano.

45268378154_d3f9aaf5df_o.jpg

Let's see how long it takes to clear up. (At this point is has been getting Worse...Assumption is Extra Fish/Coral Feeding and Aminos)

Only the trained EYE would be annoyed by the Cyano. With the few Patches it actually add Color to the tank.

And that me being annoyed....Should it get worse.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I mix my food

Take a small jar (mine is about 6oz)

- 2oz RODI water (just enough for food to thaw)
- 2 cubes Spirulina Mysis
- 2 cubes Spirulina Brine/Mysis
- 2 cubes Reef Caviar eggs
- 1 'cube' OVA oyster eggs
- 1 'cube' LRS Reef Frenzy

Food Additives
- 1mL Selcon (this is a LOT)
- 1 squirt/pump Selco Boost
- 1 spoon Reef Roids

If your fish will eat it...
- A few pinches of your favorite pellet foods. They will get soft and fish-delicious.

This lasts 3 days in the refrigerator for me. I feed a lot, and make sure my foods are as nutrient dense as possible.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I mix my food

Food Additives
- 1 spoon Reef Roids

- A few pinches of your favorite pellet foods. They will get soft and fish-delicious.

This lasts 3 days in the refrigerator for me. I feed a lot, and make sure my foods are as nutrient dense as possible.
Will try some of those Ingredient. Have a few of them.
I do use Frozen Food as the primary Ingredient, but it's already full of Moisture/Water.
The Bottle of Selcon suggest a dry food like FREEZE-DRIED-Mysis Shrimp so the Selcon get's absorbed.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIRST ALGAE SCRUBBER HARVEST (with the NEW LED GROW PANEL).

A while back I posted about getting a cheap LED GROW Panel.
I did install it into my Algae Scrubber, replacing my DIY Panel.

It didn't look like there was much growing in there, but that was MISLEADING since it's so bright and make the Algae look Transparent.

I dug into the Scrubber with a pair of Tongs, and was SHOCKED to see the amount of Fine Macro Algae in there.

31054977337_af91d12302_c.jpg

This is the GROW LED PANEL I got.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XFMCJZR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is dense macro, so a lot of nutrients have been removed from system.
Scrubber was so packed, there was little room to grow more.

BUT in comparison (I have two comparments in the ATS) the Cheato side with a Different RED LED Grow bar (the SantaMonica GEM 5 Bar), but not as much.

Since SCrubber was FULL, this could explain why the (CYANO and tiny bit of Green Algae on rocks)....JUST started.

I need to schedule Regular Monthly harvesting.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to get some Cyanobacteria with the addition of Coral Essentials Amino as well. I agree the Aminos work very well, so the Cyanobacteria for now just gets sucked up.

Also interesting that I just got in my Black Friday order and it includes Selcon. Great minds...

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to get some Cyanobacteria with the addition of Coral Essentials Amino as well. I agree the Aminos work very well, so the Cyanobacteria for now just gets sucked up.

Also interesting that I just got in my Black Friday order and it includes Selcon. Great minds...

Same here. Cyano loves aminos.
One of the reason I do not dose it anymore.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Cyano loves aminos.
One of the reason I do not dose it anymore.
I agree. Cyano loves Aminos, also many other things.

My goal is to see if doing Bacteria supplementation, so that I can continue with Amino Benefits.
Possibly also to spread out/reduce the Amino dosing.

We'll see over next few days/weeks what happens with the CyanoClean.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I mix my food

Food Additives
- 1 spoon Reef Roids

@Rakie .... I didn't have everything on your list, but close.

And I took the Advice of the Selcon Bottle (to mix in Dried Food)......Not Flake (becomes mush), Not Pellet (fish don't Eat)

32137880418_308f33b47c_c.jpg

The Freeze Dried Mysis is ideal.

I used to have to Squirt in the left Over Vitamin/Frozen Liquids that Fish didn't really eat. Possibly polluting tank a bit.

Now the Mysis soaks up all the liquid. Once soaked in...I'll add water to bring back a more liquid form for Syrine Feeding.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried the Food Mix.

My LPS tank (Fish went crazy.....Even the Palys, Acans, and LPS got some)

My SPS tank (larger Fish load).....They WENT Insane, and really enjoyed a longer Feeding Freezy with the Extra Mysis Bites.

The Anthias in QT (Typical Anthias.....Picky eaters. They went after the Frozen, but skipped/sniffed the Freeze Dried Bits. Need Training, since they didn't like the Frozen at the beginning either)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing for the Anthias in QT

Quite a few people have said they had trouble getting their anthias to eat until they had more flow while feeding. Caused the fish to chase the food all over. It makes me think of them like a cheetah -- they're built to chase things. If something runs from them, they have no choice but to chase. It's just how they've evolved.

Anthias are fish that appreciate very high flow. I wouldn't be afraid of giving their tank a little more turnover. It might spark their interest in food a bit more.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quite a few people have said they had trouble getting their anthias to eat until they had more flow while feeding. Caused the fish to chase the food all over. It makes me think of them like a cheetah -- they're built to chase things. If something runs from them, they have no choice but to chase. It's just how they've evolved.

Anthias are fish that appreciate very high flow. I wouldn't be afraid of giving their tank a little more turnover. It might spark their interest in food a bit more.

+1
My anthias only eat the food that gets spit out of the wavemaker. They wait in front of it and take whatever comes their way at high speed.
Anthias/pellets = bear/salmon.
No cheetahs... LOL

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New Tailspot Blenny's respond to feeding the same way. Flow. Chase. Eat. Repeat.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New Tailspot Blenny's respond to feeding the same way. Flow. Chase. Eat. Repeat.

+1
My anthias only eat the food that gets spit out of the wavemaker. They wait in front of it and take whatever comes their way at high speed.
Anthias/pellets = bear/salmon.
No cheetahs... LOL

Yes, I learned that trick from a Pro QT Guy....
So I did put in a MaxiJet in QT (WITH GLUED on Guard) so nobody dies like my Helfichi Firefish did.

The QT guy also taught me a trick about Soaking Pellets/Food in Salt water for a while, so the food sinks and doesn't stay on surface of water, going down overflow. Something like that.

My Anthias are doing very well on eating. Especially with Rakie's food receipe.
Today they started gobbling up the Soaked Freeze Dried Mysis. That Selcon must have helped.

@Janci really. Fish Eat Pellet? You need to come and lecture my fish about that.
I tried every kind. Have full jars of many sizes. Have sample of Soft Pellets too. I kind of gave up.
Tang and Angel are the only ones that eat pellets. So I feed them first so they don't hog the other food the other fish like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE on the TANK MATE (Timer Plus) Project......

The team @Rakie , @NY_Caveman , @Katrina71, @IgnatiusRath and I have been working quietly on a chat forum.

Today I finished the Final Hardware Design Model.....

Here is a test run VIDEO with some Demo Code. (Not the best video. Final will be better, but gives you an idea).

....Next is the Main Software for Configuration, and Functionality.

MORE to come on the TANK MATE thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...ias-lower-or-raise-your-nutrients-n-p.497508/

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back