★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally what do you do? It must be something technical. I am a project manager for an MSP (IT company) and I feel like you could be one of our t2 or t3's haha.

1 star on amazon for the first camera.. haha I trust your review more than the lone review on Amazon. I will note this and may circle back later for your tips n tricks. Do you use any things like Ring for your doorbell? I want one or something like it to monitor my front door.
I am a Senior Technical Advisor in IT/Systems (30 years at a Telco). Used to be a CO Tech, Unix Admin, Data Center Architect, and now do System Security
My passion has always been technology....since my Days as a kid, playing with my Commodore Pet, C64, Amiga (which I still have and am restoring). All kind of electronics, Ardiuno, Home Automation, DIY, etc.

Many BAD reviews on Amazon are due to non-technical/Advanced users.
Non-techies WANT PLUG A PLAY...No User Controlled Power/flexibility.
No complex advanced setups.
Thus the Bad reviews. (but some review are bad, because some Cheap Knock offs are BAD) Dlink, Linksys, etc are not

Believe me the 5010/5030 is only for advanced users (but will also work for basic stuff for anyone).

People want easy and simple. So thus the evolution towards limited solutions. They work, but when it comes time for integration of many technologies, that hasn't evolved to any standards yet. (possibly 2-5 years and it may).

People Love Apple stuff since it's easy. That works for artists, musicians, and those that put in their efforts toward other skills.

I did see my Friends RING Doorbell. Works, easy. But my DL5010 does the same and more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the man! That is exactly the type of info I needed! Way better than combing review sites and hoping it works out

** AGAIN....LIke I said the DLINK 5010,5030" gives you advanced controls and setup. **
More Complicated but great for Computer Techies.....(Full POWER AND CONTROL)

The newer Dlinks are not that same. They work together (old/new/apps) but they stripped off all the INSIDE SETUP power of the Camera, to be simple setup, simple do and don't do.
OLDER is sometimes better.

This Gives you an idea of some of the Power/Control of DL5010,5020,5030.

THIS IS SETUP STUFF (just some of it, not all)

32222979198_497f7762e0_h.jpg

And this show 3 kinds of access.

-> (DIRECT WEB INTERFACE) PC LAN Wifi or Ethenet
-> Dlink Portal (WEB)
-> Dlink App

46094250061_6de7307ea1_b.jpg

EXAMPLE OF ONE CAMERA (SETUP) Front Door

-> I get an email when Motion Sensor pick up someone at Front Door (when they cross a picked zone...Not every time car drives by)
-> It takes 3 photos before Motion picked up, 3 after and sends me photos in email.
-> Also records video while motion is active. (Store on my FTP server)
-> At night is goes infrared and can see/takephoto in total Darkness.
-> the 5030 has Sound Activation (same like Motion) but sound Trigger.

I PLAY $0.00. For any service fees. (I just pay for High Speed Internet, and have a Wifi Router)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you use any things like Ring for your doorbell? I want one or something like it to monitor my front door.

Don't get me wrong.
The RING Doorbell is Amazing (all in one technology) that is also supported well and reliable.
I'd actually like one too, but already have a RF doorbell that rings in 3 places in the house (with remote Plug ins), Main Floor, Basement Office, Sump Room. (so I get my Signature-REQUIRED Packages on time)
and the Dlink does the video.
RING IS BETTER for Live Door Answering, etc, etc.

The point is. RING won't watch your fish tank and sumps, and do custom stuff (rotating around your basement, or closet)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of DOORBELLS & Dlink Cameras.......

This goes a few years back when Kids were younger, and we all made Halloween more Fun.

Kids setup multiple doorbells, and only one really worked. They rest were fake, but one was special (the finger snapper).

We watched on the DLINK Camera on a monitor at front door. Kids squirming, and daring their friends to push a doorbell.
Many just knocked :) ....since too Chicken to reach into the DARK BOX with bugs and spider web, and the Skull.

If they knocked, we had a RUBBER MALLET, and banged back on the Door for Extra Screams.

31155693567_4c4db44996_b.jpg

There was a black light (fish Tank T5 ACTINIC) Above Porch to light up the Florescent paper.
Best effect was the shredded florescent paper sprinkled on floor. (Glowing by black light)

The real doorbell was the BRIGHT ORANGE Rectacle (with Black Creep Box around it).

** the only regret I have is my kids used Silly-String-Spray on the bricks/door for effects ** Residue STAINS Never washed off till this day ** :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BACK TO SERIOUS Aquarium THINGS ( That ONE ANTHIAS is weird) Watching Camera

He doesn't look sick/weak... Quite Feisty behaviour. But huddles in corner, doesn't come out to eat. Doesn't look like he eats inside Castle Either.

He will starve.

Maybe he needs treatment for Intestinal? Could pull him into 2nd QT and do some MEDS.

2nd QT is complicated since I don't have proper filtration. But one fish (not eating) won't polute much. Short Few Day Treatment.

Before it's too late. What worst can happen....he will die anyway.
OR MAYBE I AM WRONG....he is fine?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you haven't seen him eat in a few days, may be best to isolate so you can get some food in him

Ok. If something goes wrong IT YOUR FAULT.

44280290280_ecc02083de_b.jpg

Just kidding. I did it before I read your post.

I left the unhealthy one in original QT. It has Filtration Running so I can treat and then run Carbon to Stop Treatment.

QUESTION IS WHAT TO TREAT WITH?

I have the Following MED

1) -> PRAZIOpro for de-worming
2) -> API MetoPlex (Parasites, Bacterial Infections)
3) -> API KanaPlex (Fungus and Bactera) *** NOT NEEDED **
4) -> API General Cure (Variety of Parasites)
5) -> API Furan 2 (Stronger Treatment of Many Bacterial Infections ) ** NOT NOW **

I am thinking 1 & 4 (deworming and Parasites GENERAL)

BUT I WILL WAIT TILL TOMORROW. Maybe he was bullied by the Other TWO, and alone might start eating.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already notice something interesting about the ODD Anthias. Peeking into his Castle bottom. (Now all to himself)

He really has his TOP Spinous Dorsal Extended. Isn't that for DEFENSE?

I did see the other fish bashing around, but hard to tell if each other or him.

He has his guard up, and maybe now things will calm down. He might relax and eat.

Maybe there is a bad Female/Male Mix here.

COULD BE TRUE....No TREATMENT NEEDED, just T.L.C.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank WallyB! Not sure how I missed this one but I'm following now.
Cool @drawman the more the merrier. Always looking for input/feedback. Helps to think out loud with more ears listening.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested tons of cameras. And my favourites are the DLINKS. (DC5010 5030)

I have them watching my house, tanks, my mothers place, etc

-> All the NEW CAMERAs are over priced. Don't have the control/fliexibility and sometime want you to pay for Service fees.
-> Some of the knock offs have terrible Apps (and no windows support) and Servers go down. (DLINK will be here forever, and stable)

The reason these are great are Pan and Tilt Control. (One well placed camera allows me to move around and see whole basement areas, DT,QT, SUMP, COntrollers, etc)
PLUS....Night Vision. Fully configurable (anything you want). Picture, Video Captures, timelapse, motion detection (zones)

works on a Stable App 24/7 WORLD WIDE (Win, ANdriod, Mac) and also Generic Browser (IE).

Work on Internet and most important HOUSE LAN (Wifi and Hard Wired)....So you can setup a FTP server on your laptop to store picture and video.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-5...TF8&qid=1543423887&sr=8-2&keywords=dlink+5010

The link above is the Meidum Res Version with I like since Fast Transfer and low data costs.

The HD Version is nice too.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-5...TF8&qid=1543427481&sr=8-2&keywords=dlink+5030

One of the versions (5030___) has a built in SD card slot that will continue to record if Internet goes doewn.

You can't go wrong with the PRICE. I can show you how to set these up to do wonders.

Wyze and DLink were my final options. I went with the Wyze because my wife thought the Dlinks were ugly. They will be seen where we want them. What can I say. I am fine for our needs not having the browser functionality. Everything else on my list was checked off and the price and reviews were decent.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wyze and DLink were my final options. I went with the Wyze because my wife thought the Dlinks were ugly. They will be seen where we want them. What can I say. I am fine for our needs not having the browser functionality. Everything else on my list was checked off and the price and reviews were decent.
Wyze might be good too. I never tried them. Look promising.
Post your experience.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are now in Fate's hand with the Anthias Split up....

Quick update before I get back to being Busy with the Tank Mate builds.....

As I posted before I started getting some Cyano. Could be Many reasons, but it is, what it is...

I started the more natural way of using Cyano Clean Bacteria, and am doing CLOSE MONITORING.

32227590748_910bbb116f_b.jpg

Taking Daily photo's that I'll eventually stitch into a TimeLapse.

I also increased Tank flow (but I am NOT doing Siphoning off).....REASON is I want to see Cyano Regression.

I am also doing my AMINO's but LESS, since if Amino's feed Cyano Bacteria, then they will feed the Cyano Clean Bacteria too (THEORY, not Fact)

We'll see.

BUT ONE NOTE: Today I noticed first change on the Cyano. Looks a bit different. Kind of thicker Carpet like, like it's going to float off.

Still too soon. Normal Cyano Clean Treament can take 2-3+ week to Totally Eradicate the Cyano Bacteria out of Tank. (IF IT WORKS)
Last resort will be to STOP Amino and continue CynoClean. (Hope I don't need to do that).

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are now in Fate's hand with the Anthias Split up....

Quick update before I get back to being Busy with the Tank Mate builds.....

As I posted before I started getting some Cyano. Could be Many reasons, but it is, what it is...

I started the more natural way of using Cyano Clean Bacteria, and am doing CLOSE MONITORING.

45372818764_56309ab81a_b.jpg

Taking Daily photo's that I'll eventually stitch into a TimeLapse.

I also increased Tank flow (but I am NOT doing Siphoning off).....REASON is I want to see Cyano Regression.

I am also doing my AMINO's but LESS, since if Amino's feed Cyano Bacteria, then they will feed the Cyano Clean Bacteria too (THEORY, not Fact)

We'll see.

BUT ONE NOTE: Today I noticed first change on the Cyano. Looks a bit different. Kind of thicker Carpet like, like it's going to float off.

Still too soon. Normal Cyano Clean Treament can take 2-3+ week to Totally Eradicate the Cyano Bacteria out of Tank. (IF IT WORKS)
Last resort will be to STOP Amino and continue CynoClean. (Hope I don't need to do that).

I had to stop the aminos. The Cyanobacteria was getting too bad. The SPS sticks got a nice boost in their early encrusting stage, so that should be beneficial. If they slow down that is fine. Coloring will be more important to me when they are closer to colony size. So far, though, the colors have remained strong.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to stop the aminos. The Cyanobacteria was getting too bad. The SPS sticks got a nice boost in their early encrusting stage, so that should be beneficial. If they slow down that is fine. Coloring will be more important to me when they are closer to colony size. So far, though, the colors have remained strong.
And when you stopped Aminos....Did it go away (already). or still fading slowly?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you stopped Aminos....Did it go away (already). or still fading slowly?

Not immediately, but no new areas are popping up. I always had a couple spots where it came in. Then it started in several new spots and I wanted to stop that in its tracks.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano comes and goes. I understand not liking it, but adding chemicals/bacterias to kill them off only make me weary. They take over because nothing is there to out compete them.

With Cyano, all I do is blow it off with a turkey baster. It goes away after a few weeks for me and hasn't come back. Although other things have come back -- just seems to be how it is lol

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting it
Cyano comes and goes. I understand not liking it, but adding chemicals/bacterias to kill them off only make me weary. They take over because nothing is there to out compete them.

With Cyano, all I do is blow it off with a turkey baster. It goes away after a few weeks for me and hasn't come back. Although other things have come back -- just seems to be how it is lol

That is what I do too. No chemicals for sure. Not for Cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the first time, I kind of disagree with you (tiny bit).
Yes, I agree on the comes and goes.
But Blowing it off with Turkey baster did something nasty to my tank. Over night.
I probably posted my OLD TANK photo a dozen times. (Will find them...)
I had a quite few patches of Cyano. So I took a power head a blew the stuff off.
KABOOM, Next day or two days later the whole tank was covered in Cyano.
Maybe it wasn't the Blowing off (root Cause), but it didn't help. There must have been Cyano Fuel in the System, and the spreading all over, just spread it and it stuck.
Siphoning off works best.
CHEMICAL TO KILL IT (bad, bad. BAD).
BUT I see no reason why it's bad, by putting in a Stronger Healthier Bacteria (good Bacteria) to outcompete the Cyano. (which is what you just said)
It has worked for me many, many times. No ill effects.

I think blowing cyano off makes it go into your sump, filtration, etc. (and it then can breed there more)
The bacteria is everywhere anyway but you really spread it in high concentrations.
So if it's growing on a patch of rock, let it grow (just there) to eat off whatever it eats. Till It Starves, or get pushed out by other competing bacteria.

Another way it cut down the lights, but then coral's are not happy.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back