1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3417C441-C038-4217-9871-7F00801890F7.jpeg

This is really really bad, @i cant think @Jay Hemdal is this what I think it is? The dreaded ich? It is all through his dorsal fins and on his tail. Many more dots than visible in this photo.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think all I have is Prazi Pro and API Melafix and I don’t think either will do anything, maybe Prazi? Otherwise I’ll have to go out again tomorrow. Also I will need a medication that is invert safe, do you know of any?

Attachments

• FC87F159-8CCA-48D9-9B97-4B355F38C678.jpeg
    FC87F159-8CCA-48D9-9B97-4B355F38C678.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 23

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think all I have is Prazi Pro and API Melafix and I don’t think either will do anything, maybe Prazi? Otherwise I’ll have to go out again tomorrow. Also I will need a medication that is invert safe, do you know of any?
You will definitely need an invert safe medication unless you have another spare tank.
Melafix is good for inverts (I’ve dosed it in a tank with inverts and they didn’t seem affected) however it doesn’t cure Ich which is what it seems you have.
If you have RO, do a fresh water dip and see if anything falls off, that will eliminate ideas of Velvet.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely need an invert safe medication unless you have another spare tank.
Melafix is good for inverts (I’ve dosed it in a tank with inverts and they didn’t seem affected) however it doesn’t cure Ich which is what it seems you have.
If you have RO, do a fresh water dip and see if anything falls off, that will eliminate ideas of Velvet.
Ok I’ll do that, how long would the dip be?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll do that, how long would the dip be?
I believe it’s generally 3-4 minutes however I’ve never personally had to do a dip (even in an LFS). I’ve had to deal with diseases like ich and velvet in an LFS environment.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think this fish was originally in my nano and I moved it here, to my pico does that mean I need to treat my nano too? It has a small mandarin, two small clowns, a lawnmower blenny and two small BTA's.
I would only treat the nano if your fish in that tank start showing signs of ich.

Aquapharm Cure ich reef safe 500 ML​

Will this do the trick @i cant think ?​

I believe it will however @Jay Hemdal will likely know better than me.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think sorry to keep mentioning you, but I feel like you are the best for this question, I hope you don’t mind. In terms of stocking right now I have
Fish
Pictus blenny (currently has ich)
Yellow clown goby
Yellow stripe clingfish (Arriving probably in the next week - 2 weeks)

Inverts
2x Electric blue hermit crabs
1x Teeny bumble bee shrimp
3x Sexy shrimp
Teeny 1.5cm candycane pistol shrimp (Purchasing tomorrow)
Assorted hitchhikers

I know I have the hermits as CUC but should I also transfer a nassarius ot turbo snail from my nano? Or better yet get a small bumble bee snail when I get the pistol shrimp?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal what is the best course of action?

Sorry - we were driving back from Florida today....

First thing is to try and confirm it is ich. The spots look a bit large, but I've been fooled before with ich on small fish (making it look a lot larger). Are the spots changing location and numbers day to day? If not, then it isn't ich.

Jay

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - we were driving back from Florida today....

First thing is to try and confirm it is ich. The spots look a bit large, but I've been fooled before with ich on small fish (making it look a lot larger). Are the spots changing location and numbers day to day? If not, then it isn't ich.

Jay
The blenny is actually really tiny, about an inch long. The spots don’t seem to be moving. I will buy some invert safe ich medication later today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store ended up being all out of that Ich medication I was looking at so instead I ended up with Infect-O 4Ich which is reef safe so I assume it is invert safe.

Do you have any idea what the active ingredient is? I've never heard of that one. Many "reef safe" medications simply do not work. You'd think there would be some oversight to the market, but there is not - people can sell anything they want as "ich medication". There is such a huge demand for reef safe ich medications, that lots of snake oil gets sold.

Jay

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea what the active ingredient is? I've never heard of that one. Many "reef safe" medications simply do not work. You'd think there would be some oversight to the market, but there is not - people can sell anything they want as "ich medication". There is such a huge demand for reef safe ich medications, that lots of snake oil gets sold.

Jay
The ingredients are as follows
M. Pruriens,
M. Carantia,
G. Officinale,
L. Gallate

My LFS only has select products and this is what was recommended to me. This is in my opinion the best store in Indonesia so I believe and hope this product should work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ingredients are as follows
M. Pruriens,
M. Carantia,
G. Officinale,
L. Gallate

My LFS only has select products and this is what was recommended to me. This is in my opinion the best store in Indonesia so I believe and hope this product should work.

Those are all plant/seeds/extracts. Herbal remedies do not have a good track record for treating marine ich. Still, I'm not 100% that your fish has ich, since only the blenny has spots, and you haven't seen them move/change numbers yet.

Jay

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all plant/seeds/extracts. Herbal remedies do not have a good track record for treating marine ich. Still, I'm not 100% that your fish has ich, since only the blenny has spots, and you haven't seen them move/change numbers yet.

Jay
Is it worth trying anyways? What else could it be? The blenny just sits in the corner now and doesn't come out. It would be super difficult for me to see if they have moved or changed numbers because I can only see his fins if he sits on the heater in the light.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back