VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I set up my first reef tank when I was 14, since then, I have upgraded from a 29 to a 55, and finally to a 90. However, as a college student, I needed a mobile system. After leaving my home 90 in the responsible care of my parents, I have struggled to find an adequate new system. I needed a tank big enough to satisfy my urge to a reef, portable enough to bring back and forth from school, and functional enough to have adequate filtration.

I received an IM nuv0 20 from a friend and it worked ok, but I wasn't satisfied with the size or the filtration. As I looked for a new tank, I discovered the 33 long, it is the same footprint as a 55, only shorter. It is long and shallow, providing plenty of room for coral and fish. After further researching the 33L, I designed in tank filter boxes to achieve adequate filtration. The sump boxes will replace the need for a traditional drilled tank and sump which is far less mobile.

The tank has been running for a week now and everything is doing great. I am not sure if other members have embarked on a similar project if so, let me know your experience. Also, if anyone is curious about making a system like this, don't hesitate to ask me.

Shout out to @Chris Taylor and @Teddy Marshall the help.

Further, check out my Instagram @ruckusreef to follow any future projects.

The build centered around the below complete tank design. In each corner, a filter-box will reside. The filter box placement allows for maximum filtration with minimal view obstruction.

Main Design.png

The first order of business was to construct the stand. My friend @Teddy Marshall has a great workshop, so it went up pretty fast. Since the tank is only 12 inches tall, we decided to make the stand 40 inches tall, putting the tank at optimal viewing height. Below are pictures of the stand build.

Stand 1.jpg
Stand 2.jpg
Stand 3.jpg
Stand 5.jpg

After the tank arrived and the stand was completed, the filter boxes needed to be cut and installed. Below are the designs for each filter piece. I was hesitant to use acrylic at first, apparently, it doesn't bond well to glass. However, after several ridiculously high glass quotes and multiple glass shops declining to take on the project, I decided to use acrylic. After my engineering student brother (@Chris Taylor) created a DXF file saving me a $100 programming charge (the file needed for the laser to cut acrylic), the panels were completed 2 days later.
Sump Design.png

Sump 2.jpg

Sump 2.5.JPG
Sump 3.jpg
Sump 6.jpg
Sump 7.jpg

The acrylic to acrylic seal was done using plastic cement. The company that cut the acrylic occasionally constructs aquariums, they recommended an aquarium safe cement. The glass to acrylic seal was done using standard silicone. I have heard stories about acrylic not bonding to glass well, however, it appears to be very sturdy.

After the boxes were completed, the bulkheads and additional plumbing were installed. I purchased all the plumbing from Bulk Reef Supply. I was afraid some of the parts wouldn't fit, however, the website was very clear and it turned out great.

After the filtration system was complete, @Teddy Marshall and I conducted a water test.

Water Test 1.jpg
Water Test 2.jpg

Above: Left Filter Box
Water Test 3.jpg

Below: Right Filter Box
Water Test 4.jpg

The tank held water and all the seals worked (thank god). This was the first time I was able to see the pumps in action. I am running two Sicce Syncra .5 pumps (185 GPH each). I wanted to use stronger pumps to avoid using any additional circulation pumps. The total water movement is 370 GPH.

As far as filtration goes, in the right filter box, I will put chaeto in the first chamber and a cobalt neotherm heater in the second. In the left filter box, I will place chemipure and simple sponge pad in chamber 1, and phosphate/nitrate pads as needed in chamber 2. As I have never created a tank like this before, I will play around with filtration to find what works. My skimmer is rated for 75 gallons, hopefully with the chaeto's assistance, I will need minimal chemical filtration.

After the tank successfully held water, it was time for the conversion. @Teddy Marshall and I moved the tank and stand to my apartment, drained my IM 20, and set up the new 33L. I added 20lbs of live sand to the 33L and reclaimed around 15lbs of sand from my IM 20. I know some people do not recommend reusing old sand, however, I have found if you rinse it thouroughlly with fresh salt water, you can avoid a nitrate or ammonia spike as detritus is released during the rinse.

Below are pictures of my IM 20, and the new 33L setup.

IM 1.png
IM 2.jpg
Tank 2.jpg

Below is the complete conversion from the IM 20 to the new custom 33L. The aquascape and lights are temporary. I am waiting for my AI Prime HDs to come in the mail. Once my lights arrive, I will create a new aquascape. However, for the next few days, the old IM lights should work fine.

Tank 4.JPG

This was a long and new process for me. If anyone has any questions about designs, construction, or the general process, please ask. I'm sure someone has done something like this, however, I found limited resources. I'd be happy to assist anyone who wishes to venture down a similar path of DIY. Thanks!

Last edited:

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, dwarf angels are very likely to pick at your softies and any LPS you may want to add. I like your idea to make your 33 into an AIO for college mobility. Are you only going with the two returns for flow? I would add one more if I were you since you said you were gonna do some SPS in there. Perhaps an icecap 1k. That way, you can have a nice gyre effect and they are perfect for small tanks. Good luck and be sure to post more pics as she matures. Btw, where do you go to school and what's your major?

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, dwarf angels are very likely to pick at your softies and any LPS you may want to add. I like your idea to make your 33 into an AIO for college mobility. Are you only going with the two returns for flow? I would add one more if I were you since you said you were gonna do some SPS in there. Perhaps an icecap 1k. That way, you can have a nice gyre effect and they are perfect for small tanks. Good luck and be sure to post more pics as she matures. Btw, where do you go to school and what's your major?
The two returns are perfect right now, no wave maker needed (at the moment). I might need to add another if i discover some dead spots. from my experience angels are hit or miss, just added a yellow tail pygmy angel. i'm hoping he doesnt start nipping, so far hes good.

I just graduated UVM with a double major in political science and environmental studies.

Also, keep me posted on your build. This process was new to me, i'd love to see what direction you take the same size tank!

Last edited:

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I'm planing on going sps heavy, so I will have high flow and a lot of PAR. I have two SB reeflights which will be supplemented with two T-5s. At a twelve inch depth I should be able to baste these guys with PAR, so any sticks should do well if I make sure to acclimate them slowly. At a 12 inch depth, I wanna have room for corals, so my scape will be pretty minimal. Once a few plating corals start to grow out and make a bit of shade, I'll probably do a few leptos, zoas and shrooms. Are you gonna dose anything or run 2 part or Kalk or anything like that? What are your plans? I'd like to know.

I majored in Biology with emphasis on ecology. I loved school, I could have been a career student if I had the money. Lol

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I'm planing on going sps heavy, so I will have high flow and a lot of PAR. I have two SB reeflights which will be supplemented with two T-5s. At a twelve inch depth I should be able to baste these guys with PAR, so any sticks should do well if I make sure to acclimate them slowly. At a 12 inch depth, I wanna have room for corals, so my scape will be pretty minimal. Once a few plating corals start to grow out and make a bit of shade, I'll probably do a few leptos, zoas and shrooms. Are you gonna dose anything or run 2 part or Kalk or anything like that? What are your plans? I'd like to know.

I majored in Biology with emphasis on ecology. I loved school, I could have been a career student if I had the money. Lol

Awesome! My plan is to do monti caps, stylos, multiple types of seriatopora, and pocilipora. With work and moving soon I want sps but nothing difficult. I dose just 2 park seachem reef, that with frequent water changes works great for any of the hearty sps.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of the filtration system I have devised. In one chamber, I put a chaeto column. I have a clip light growing the macro now, I'm hoping to install a more concealed strip LED system in the coming weeks. In the other chamber, I have a sponge leading to a chemipure bag rated for 25 gallons, as well as phosphate and nitrate pads.

My goal is to experiment with the filtration. I want to start with minimal chemical filtration to see what my skimmer and mini-fuge are capable of. My skimmer is rated for 75 gallons, this with the chaeto should hopefully be my primary nutrient export. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should get the chemi pure off the bottom, it will become a detritus trap like that and doubt it will be as effective stuck in the corner.

And are the phosphate and nitrate pads really supposed to function just floating in the water? I would think the water would mostly just go around them. You might want to create shelves to force the water through them? I’ve never used these pads, so just an assumption.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should get the chemi pure off the bottom, it will become a detritus trap like that and doubt it will be as effective stuck in the corner.

And are the phosphate and nitrate pads really supposed to function just floating in the water? I would think the water would mostly just go around them. You might want to create shelves to force the water through them? I’ve never used these pads, so just an assumption.
the pads take up the whole chamber, I plan on using egg crate to elevate the chemipure this week. Thanks for the input!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool setup. I like your sumpless design. That is a nice size tank for mobility purposes. I had a 38 gallon fish only at college that got moved a few times, never lost a fish.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool setup. I like your sumpless design. That is a nice size tank for mobility purposes. I had a 38 gallon fish only at college that got moved a few times, never lost a fish.
Nice, moving is always a pain, but having a tank is worth it. Ive never lost anything in a move, hoping that doesnt change!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back