3D printed overflow

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a 14 gallon cube tank that I'm doing kind of a crazy build for. I'm having a custom stand made and I'm going to put the tank on a custom sump that, again, I intend to build. Problem is I don't want to spend $100 or more on an overflow set up for such a small tank, and don't want to do an over the back overflow to save a few bucks. I was thinking that I could find someone with a 3D printer and make my own, get the EXACT look I want and size for my needs, and probably save some money. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Idk what printing materials would be considered aquarium safe, and I've never used one before, especially not for this so any help is appreciated.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you prefer a 3D printed overflow vs. just having one built out of acrylic?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how much of a money savings it would be to have it 3d printed. I’d expect you’d be looking at $100 going that direction too especially if you’re asking someone to spend their time designing an overflow in sketchup or autocad and then using their abs filament and electricity. Having owned a 3d printer and experience building with acrylic I can tell you that 3d printing isn’t an easy process and I’d probably charge far less for the acrylic part because it’s way less of a hassle for me.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how much of a money savings it would be to have it 3d printed. I’d expect you’d be looking at $100 going that direction too especially if you’re asking someone to spend their time designing an overflow in sketchup or autocad and then using their abs filament and electricity. Having owned a 3d printer and experience building with acrylic I can tell you that 3d printing isn’t an easy process and I’d probably charge far less for the acrylic part because it’s way less of a hassle for me.
I guess that answers my question then. I figured because the parts could be printed out so my exact needs and could be relatively seamless it would be better. How difficult would building one out of acrylic be? Would it just come down to buying a few small pieces, cutting them and then glueing them together? How much of a money saver would that be?

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be far cheaper to make out of acrylic depending on who you get to 3d print it. For that small of a tank I would assume you would be drilling the back and not the bottom, so the overflow box could be smaller. Homedepot online has black acrylic sheets and weldon (glue) you could get online. It is just more labor intensive for you to build it. I have and printer and I would trust the integrity of arylic more than layered 3d printing even if it is abs or petg.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be far cheaper to make out of acrylic depending on who you get to 3d print it. For that small of a tank I would assume you would be drilling the back and not the bottom, so the overflow box could be smaller. Homedepot online has black acrylic sheets and weldon (glue) you could get online. It is just more labor intensive for you to build it. I have and printer and I would trust the integrity of arylic more than layered 3d printing even if it is abs or petg.
Is there a particular thickness you would recommend? I was thinking something cheaper like 1/8th maybe. I always see external overflow boxes being really think and I've never understood why unless it's just for looks.

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the the location, if it is a bottom drilled tank and it is let say 100 gallons. Yes it needs to be thicker as it is taking the pressure of all that water. For your application again I would assume it is smaller and mounted to the back side of the tank. It will not be taking some much pressure. I would do a minimum of 1/4 arylic so there is minimal bowing and it is not that much more.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular thickness you would recommend? I was thinking something cheaper like 1/8th maybe. I always see external overflow boxes being really think and I've never understood why unless it's just for looks.
You can get away with a thinner overflow box in the tank, but you’ll need thicker acrylic for the outer box because it’ll hold bulkheads and needs the added rigidity. 1/8” is fine for the inner. I’d do no less than 1/4” for the outer. Unless you have a plastic supply place nearby with a scrap acrylic bin, and all of the tools needed for the job, a new overflow might actually be less expensive. Consider this:

Acrylic = Maybe $20 if you’re lucky and want something slick like black. It’ll probably end up being a 1/4” sheet of clear from home depot for $30.
Acrylic blade = $4
Rotary tool + accessories for cutting overflow notches = $30-40
Weld-on + applicator = $12-15
2” bulkhead = $6-8
1” bulkhead = $3.50 - $5 (x 2 if you want an emergency drain)

This isn’t factoring tax and annoying little additional costs that always seem to pop up when you go the diy route.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back