S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170730_102545.jpg

Again, pardon my messy room, but here is a picture of everything setup together! I'm using the CFL to get good pictures while I wait for my lights to be shipped :)

I'll be cleaning up the clutter, and tidying everything up soon. For right now, I'm just glad everything works! I also have a check valve on the return pipe to keep it from overflowing my sump in the event of a power outage.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170730_102545.jpg

Again, pardon my messy room, but here is a picture of everything setup together! I'm using the CFL to get good pictures while I wait for my lights to be shipped :)

I'll be cleaning up the clutter, and tidying everything up soon. For right now, I'm just glad everything works! I also have a check valve on the return pipe to keep it from overflowing my sump in the event of a power outage.

You don't need a light when cycling. It will only cause unnecessary algae to grow once you get detectable nitrate. I made that mistake on my first tank and started behind the 8-ball right off the bat.

LJC6780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my own place, I'll get upgrade to a larger tank, and drill that. I do agree that its definitely more peace of mind, and I'd like to be able to drill a deeper hole so I can do water changes without have to use a siphon in a future setup. But, for now, overflow box it is!

Are you talking a separate hole only for water changes or making your overflow hole lower?

If you make your overflow hole lower you'll need quite a large sump to handle the water volume should your pump go out or be turned off for whatever reason ...

It would be interesting to add a lower hole specifically for water changes. I'm curious how that would be plumbed.

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a light when cycling. It will only cause unnecessary algae to grow once you get detectable nitrate. I made that mistake on my first tank and started behind the 8-ball right off the bat.
The light is just for the chaetomorpha in my sump and for the occasional picture

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking a separate hole only for water changes or making your overflow hole lower?

If you make your overflow hole lower you'll need quite a large sump to handle the water volume should your pump go out or be turned off for whatever reason ...

It would be interesting to add a lower hole specifically for water changes. I'm curious how that would be plumbed.

I haven't thought it through too much lol. I won't be doing it on this tank, but I've seen a few people with large tanks using a similar system. I believe they have it plumbed directly into a utility sink or something of the sort.

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Evergrow lights this weekend, and there seemed to be a hardware issue. I contacted Amazon and asked for a replacement. If it still has issues a second time, I guess I'll just have to cough up more cash for a more reputable brand. :(

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember if you plan on getting any thing that will dig in the sand to use a large rock to cover deep sand

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62ff56bab12685367af7c4ac3242a3f1.jpg

If your looking for ideas this is by far my favorite kind of scape. It's the arc or overhang And use smaller rocks to make some caves

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back