Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I'm starting a 40 breeder reef tank build as an early birthday present to myself (Birthday is September, but it counts right?). I'm going to be posting constant updates with pictures as I have nothing else to do while I wait for my tank to cycle. This will be my first tank, so please go easy, and I would appreciate any advice you guys have to give to a beginner reefer.

Stay Tuned!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I'm starting a 40 breeder reef tank build as an early birthday present to myself (Birthday is September, but it counts right?). I'm going to be posting constant updates with pictures as I have nothing else to do while I wait for my tank to cycle. This will be my first tank, so please go easy, and I would appreciate any advice you guys have to give to a beginner reefer.

Stay Tuned!
Congrats! I myself have a 40 breeder and it's the perfect size in my opinion. Not to big but not tiny. Are you going drilled tank or siphon overflow?

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I myself have a 40 breeder and it's the perfect size in my opinion. Not to big but not tiny. Are you going drilled tank or siphon overflow?
I completely agree. Currently, I have a CPR cs50 overflow box. Its self starting, so I don't have to worry about overflowing my DT if I ever lose siphoning. Pics to come!

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170725_223157.jpg

Pardon the mess lol. I put it in my bedroom next to my bed. The stand and 40b cost me about $110. I built a custom 20L sump, and plumbed it with pipes and hoses from home depot.

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the sump I made. I bought some glass panels for $5 each, and cut them to size. I siliconed them in place after sanding the edges smooth. Leak test on both tanks went fine. Everything is going according to plan so far!

IMG_20170727_225305.jpg

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the sump I made. I bought some glass panels for $5 each, and cut them to size. I siliconed them in place after sanding the edges smooth. Leak test on both tanks went fine. Everything is going according to plan so far!

IMG_20170727_225305.jpg
Where did u buy the glass panels?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 3/32" thick. They came in 16x20" panels from home Depot at about $5 each.

To clarify, the 20L was bought from Petco for $20. The baffles were installed by me.
Yeah i got my 40b for $50 and 20l for $20 at petco. What silicone did u use?

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i got my 40b for $50 and 20l for $20 at petco. What silicone did u use?
I actually had silicone from a pond kit that I bought, so I used that. But they had silicone next to the glass panels at home Depot. Just make sure they have no additives such as mildew inhibitors etc.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree. Currently, I have a CPR cs50 overflow box. Its self starting, so I don't have to worry about overflowing my DT if I ever lose siphoning. Pics to come!
If you are starting a new tank, I'd highly recommend drilling it. I bought another 40 Breeder and drilled it and i'm waiting until I move to switch everything over to the new tank

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are starting a new tank, I'd highly recommend drilling it. I bought another 40 Breeder and drilled it and i'm waiting until I move to switch everything over to the new tank

I wasn't comfortable with drilling it, and the overflow box is here already :p
I've seen alot of people successfully use the boxes, so I think I'm hoping I'll be alright

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely drilled is a better option and more peace of mind. It's really not as difficult as it looks.

I'm sure either option works fine. I already have the box though, and it seems to be working great so far. It is also harder to completely block it off, and its much easier to clean and adjust if i need to.

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my own place, I'll get upgrade to a larger tank, and drill that. I do agree that its definitely more peace of mind, and I'd like to be able to drill a deeper hole so I can do water changes without have to use a siphon in a future setup. But, for now, overflow box it is!

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I also have a 40B. When I set it up, I bought during the $1/gallon sale and bought two 40B. Purchased a metal stand that allowed me to use the other 40B for a sump.

What lighting and water flow are you planning on?

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I also have a 40B. When I set it up, I bought during the $1/gallon sale and bought two 40B. Purchased a metal stand that allowed me to use the other 40B for a sump.

What lighting and water flow are you planning on?

Im looking at 2- 165w Evergrow Wifi LEDs. For the refugium that I'm planning, I don't know yet. I have a CFL on it currently as the tank is cycling. As for water flow, I have a Maxijet 1200, an Aqueon Quietflow 2300 for a return pump from my sump, and a cheap 195 gph powerhead from Petco. I'm totaling roughly 800 gph. As my tank grows, I'll probably upgrade the powerheads/pumps.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back