60 Gallon Cube

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally did it, just returned home from placing my order for a new Planet Aquariums reef ready 60 gallon cube!!

Update 5-17-20 Its here!!
20200516_181638.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very manageable cube. You will enjoy it.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know flow can be a little tough in cube tanks and I can't decide what direction I want to go in. Does anyone have an opinion on the Ice Cap dual 2k gyre?

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not on the 2k, I have a 60 gallon cube and I'm using a Icecap 1k, and two Koralia pumps, one is big one is small...idk the actual models as they were freebies when I bought the tank. Depending on your aquascape, flow can be hard but I feel like I finally got it dialed in for my needs...for now.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 cube has always been my favorite. Easy to light, Easy for flow, Easy for AWC... This is mine at 10 months old.

Attachments

• V1.MOV
    1.4 MB
  • V2.MOV
    934.7 KB
  • V3.MOV
    1.1 MB

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting. I'm building a 60 cube as well and spent the better part of the day thinking about flow as I did chores around the house and ran a few errands.

I already have an MP10 and the apex module so I'm considering adding a second MP10 and placing them mid-tank on the back wall. I'm also considering the Icecap 2k and placing it just below the overflow box.

I feel like the mix of the Icecap 2k gyre and a pair of MP10's along with the dual return inlets should create a nice mix of flow at 50%. It may be overkill but this will be my first bare bottom tank so I want the option to crank up the flow.

Le us know what you decide on for circulation and good luck with the tank!

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting. I'm building a 60 cube as well and spent the better part of the day thinking about flow as I did chores around the house and ran a few errands.

I already have an MP10 and the apex module so I'm considering adding a second MP10 and placing them mid-tank on the back wall. I'm also considering the Icecap 2k and placing it just below the overflow box.

I feel like the mix of the Icecap 2k gyre and a pair of MP10's along with the dual return inlets should create a nice mix of flow at 50%. It may be overkill but this will be my first bare bottom tank so I want the option to crank up the flow.

Le us know what you decide on for circulation and good luck with the tank!

I would NOT place a gyre below the overflow box as placement of the magnets will have water going over it inside the box. Because you have an apex, I would get the tunze 6095 wideflow pumps with controllers and hook them up to your apex and have them point to opposite corners. I can share my code with you and it works awesome!! The tunze's alternate left and right to opposite cross corner and then both come on, and then both come off. I have them set to do this every 17 seconds. The mp10 on detritus mode sweeps from the back wall from left to right. I have a bare bottom as you can see, and no almost no detritus except for hermit excoskeletons and old frag plugs:)) No hair algae, diatoms... Everything collects bottom right back corner under my xenia. I call it the boneyard. Another option, is two gyres on opposite sides of tank. One from back left corner horizontal near top from back left to back right, and the the other from side right to side left (The gyre currents would be perpendicular to each other). I would use the same program. This way you have counter swirl flow similar to mine. I went with tunzes (but either would work great) because they last forever, and would def keep your MP10 like I have for back corner as that makes a very big difference (I have it on the 2nd lowest setting). If money was no option, a total of 3x mp10 would probably be awesome as well with the advantage of having good nem guards:)) Flow wouldn't be as wide or diagnol across the tank, but wouldn't make a difference as the detritus mode and variable on these pumps.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bam123 , thanks for the info. I was thinking that if the gyre was a bit below the overflow it might not be disruptive but it seems that my assumption was incorrect. I had considered a pair of gyres on the side but I think that might be a bit much visually and wanted to keep the circulation on the back wall if possible. I'll check out the Tunze and may take you up on the code offer.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both pumps are hooked into variable speed port on apex
pump one will be on for 17 seconds while pump two is off
Pump one will then be off for 17 seconds when pump two is on
Both pumps will be ON for 17 seconds
Both pumps will be OFF for 17 seconds
REPEAT...

pump 1
OSC 000:17/000:17/000:17 Then ON
Fallback ON
If Time 00:00 to 07:59 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 23:59 Then ON

pump 2
OSC 000:00/000:17/000:17 Then ON
Fallback ON
If Time 00:00 to 08:00 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 23:59 Then ON

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to order the dual 2k gyres and see what kind of flow I can create.

I don't think you can go wrong with that. The beauty of a cube is you can almost always set them up to have really good alternating current that swirls. If you have an apex, you can hook them up to a variable outlet and try out my code. It works great.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with that. The beauty of a cube is you can almost always set them up to have really good alternating current that swirls. If you have an apex, you can hook them up to a variable outlet and try out my code. It works great.
And apex is on the list but unfortunately it will be a year down the road.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back