!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam, is battlecorals your full time job? I imagine it would difficult doing a build of this size not being your full time.

That's another good question my friend. This project was actually my last job working construction with me dear old Dad. Been working together since the 90's and you might say this was our "swan song" lol. Of course I'll help him out anytime he needs me, but I just didn't have the time to do both anymore. I had to channel my efforts on my business and future. When he retires in another year or two, that will mark the end of Derickson Builders Inc.

And, how about an actual current update as long as I'm typing!:) I had a quirk with the original glass sump I had made, so I had to have a new one made up. Went with an acrylic made by MRC. Been held up six weeks now but its finally getting delivered tomorrow!

Here's the original sump. 120" x 42" x 18". 3/4 " glass. I'll say, if it wasn't going upstairs I'd have used it for sure, but there was a really odd ding in the lower corner, and I just wasn't comfortable with it at all.

Actually curious to hear what any glass experts might have to say about it.

I toiled for a day and the unfortunate part was that they were covered up completely till the day before we lifted them up, so I had to scramble, and decided not to use it. After we closed up the front there was no getting it up there.

Anyone out there willing to take a chance on it let me
know

IMG_4371_zps5rbxtfxq.jpg

IMG_4365_zpssnqdom40.jpg

IMG_4364%202_zpsxdczk2vw.jpg

IMG_4363_zpsw1g7brvv.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Congrats Adam, that looks amazing! Are you st ill going to have all the tanks in the basement as well or is everything going to be upstairs now.

Hey Mike! been to long man. Hope all is well.

Everything is coming up. My current system will be the new "Back up" system. The 4 tanks along the wall in the crude mock up. But I'm going to set up a new Multi stage QT, and the sump for my display will still be down there. My house says "thanks in advance for not ruining me anymore"

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have photos of your old setup? It would be cool to see your old vs new setup!

LOL only this! and its still up and running full steam. From my spot the differences game last year. Trust me, Its never been more of a disaster than it is right now.

IMG_8080_zpsge04p0nv.jpg

ehutchby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work Adam (as usual). You've helped so many. I'm also building a new system, to house all of the wonderful sticks I've bought from you over the years. More to come. Eric

Brad Bessett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the finished product. I can't fathom that much weight being on a 2nd floor, especially a garage!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.. am I reading this correctly?!?! Is this UPSTAIRS in this new garage space?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wait.. am I reading this correctly?!?! Is this UPSTAIRS in this new garage space?

Yes sir And i can feel the concern in your post. Pics of engineered floor and beam coming soon. Building was designed from the ground up to support the weight on the second floor.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new expansion, looks like some very cool space. It will be interesting to see the floor support structure photo's when you post them. I imagine it is overkill. Hope it all goes smoothly. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Congrats on the new expansion, looks like some very cool space. It will be interesting to see the floor support structure photo's when you post them. I imagine it is overkill. Hope it all goes smoothly. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Thats is extremely nice of you to say. I really appreciate it.

So yeah what I did was took the floor plan drawing, gave it to the truss company and explained that these were tanks with water, about 340 gallons each. After running whatever calculations they do, they went with triple 16" lams down the middle. My raceways straddle it within a foot or two. I had to compromise and have a post in the middle of my garage but that's the way it goes.

I had full span trusses engineered at first and not only were they really tall, they were more than twice the cost of the beamed floor.

If anyone wants to take a look at the specs from the truss company please let me know. I wouldn't mind having another person assure me that i have nothing to worry about. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous, but I don't plan on filling them all at once either.

Generally speaking, the truss companies will always cover their buts and sell you more than you need. In this instance I am very cool with that.

Here's a shot of the underside of the floor and beams.

IMG_4183_zpshb7ka3v1.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ppfffft... I'm not impressed....

Impressive would have been if you had built the entire building using nothing but Battle Brushes! They are the ultimate tool after all! :p

Oh.. and 97% of imaginary psycobabblists say that posting more pictures is an excellent cure for blanket neglect syndrome! ;)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back