!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Here is a loaded question for you. What's going to be your transfer method? How long will your new system cycle for? And how worried are you as we are talking about sps :)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks awesome! Here is a loaded question for you. What's going to be your transfer method? How long will your new system cycle for? And how worried are you as we are talking about sps :)

Good Question,

I have been curing 1k lbs of live rock here since about august. My plan is to get most of in in the sump as soon as its ready and get at least one the tanks running. Will give it as much time as it needs, but I'll clip some testers and gauge the system accordingly. Was even considering using as much water from my current system to get things started but that means about 100 trips up 2 flights of stairs with 5 gallon buckets in each hand. When the system is ready and stable, I'll bring the colonies up one or two at a time. Process will be a gradual as my patience will allow

This is another reason why Moving or renting a commercial space was terrifying to me. Having to rush that part of the process would be trouble for sure. Sps colonies do not transfer well even within the same system. There will be quirks I'm sure, but with any luck the damage will be minimal:)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice. I saw the intention in the gravel for the pad you refer to. That makes really good sense to me for the structure. I guess when I was referring to solar I was meaning something more like skylights or solar tubes. Keep up the good work it looks awesome. I can't wait to see this done.

I'm with you completely. I also looked very seriously into Industrial solar tubes to light the tanks, but unfortunately wisconsin hits again on this one. The sunlight is too sporadic, and not really powerful enough here to get good and consistent reliable results. Would they grow sps? probably. Would they look good enough to sell? Probably not. Seemed like it would be a gamble at best. Worth an experiment for sure, but not to rely on as the sole lighting source as I really hoping I could do.

I very much liked the idea of having a naturally lit prop system. In fact I was really excited about out at first but the deeper i dug, the less viable it seemed. In Florida, heck yeah! Wisconsin, I'm afraid my colonies would have suffered all winter:(

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, one thing I think you guys will definitely learn about me during the course of this thread, is that I like to keep things as absolutely simple as possible.:) This design serves a number of very specific purposes, but does so with very little effort or room for errors and quirks.

Are you going to have live rock in there? EDIT - never mind I see you have already described that.

star fawkes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make no mistake, I am not skipping a beat at all as far as running the show goes. There will be no latency or lags in coral availability at all, at any point. The transition will be swift and seamless. The only difference in my daily operations between now and when it's done, is that I won't be working inside a dark and humid dungeon, and I'll have lots more space to propagate! lol!

In other words, if any of you want a battle box just say the word! :)

I can absolutely attest to this! Adam has been working with me for about 3 months now while I was in the process of moving to a different state and setting up a new tank. He has an incredible battle box cut for me and he is still holding it because my stand is being held up by a powdercoating place.

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam congrats on the new set up. I have enjoyed reading through this thread and am excited that this will probably mean more amazing corals for sale... that said, are you willing to ship to your friends up north? I am on the west coast of Canada and would love some of your pieces in my tank.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And stands were built...

IMG_8706_zpsfkecngbc.jpg

IMG_8703_zpshvvauhll.jpg

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Adam, I enjoy the stick frame construction. Everything down here in South Florida has to be concrete and steel, both for the hurricanes and rot from the constant humidity.
You can tell you and your father are one of the few craftsmen left out there.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam who built the new frag tanks for you.

Can we get a sneak at the new beast of a Deltec you will be running
emoji6.png

absolutely!:D

You're looking at the only fully functioning TC4580 in the entire country and some of its little brothers.

IMG_4425_zpskesyibqv.jpg

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fat skimmer, I wonder why not go higher. Are you limited on space above the skimmer? Or is that their design?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back