Brendanb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently quarantining all of my fish and figured while I have the QT up and running it would be a good time to add a new fish.

My LFS offered me a great deal on a Yellow Tang, he’s had them in the shop now for over a month, they’re all just under 2 inches, great color and eat well.

My QT is at 1.01 ppm copper at the moment, is it safe to add the tang to the QT or should I reduce the copper levels prior?

Also, would it be smart to add him to my frag tank and not QT him with the rest of my fish and just observe at first?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently quarantining all of my fish and figured while I have the QT up and running it would be a good time to add a new fish.

My LFS offered me a great deal on a Yellow Tang, he’s had them in the shop now for over a month, they’re all just under 2 inches, great color and eat well.

My QT is at 1.01 ppm copper at the moment, is it safe to add the tang to the QT or should I reduce the copper levels prior?

Also, would it be smart to add him to my frag tank and not QT him with the rest of my fish and just observe at first?
I don't think you want to introduce any new fish to a copper treatment/quarantine that's already underway...

OP
OP
Brendanb5

Brendanb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was assuming. If I remove the copper would it be safe to add a new fish and then quarantine them all together? The treatment hasn’t started yet, I just caught my last fish out of my DT a day ago so no time lost really if I started from scratch

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I presume yo are using copper power or coppersafe? That won't be a problem adding a tang, but then you'll want to bring the copper back up to a full dose for 30 days.

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you want to introduce any new fish to a copper treatment/quarantine that's already underway...
No issue doing so provided you restart the QT process.

Then again, if I had several fish 20 days into a 30 day copper treatment, I probably wouldn't add a new fish at that point, but if it's early on or he's just starting QT on the other fish, then no problem adding more.

Just be sure your QT tank can handle that many fish for the 30+ days.. hopefully it's cycled.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that tangs, rabbits, large angels can handle copper really well. I've dropped specimens from those groups straight into Copper Power at higher concentration than that. My caveat there is that I haven't treated a small one, like this 2" tang.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back