Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m in need of some help with an algae/detritus issue I’ve had in my 125 gallon tank for over a year now. I’ve tried many things such as manual removal, scraping the rock with a toothbrush, flux rx and seachem pristine however nothing seems to get rid of it.

The algae/detritus can be removed from the rock by a simply squeeze of the turkey baster but comes back within days, it looks grey in colour. I’m not really sure on what i can try next to remove it for good.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
Phosphates: 0.1
Calcium: 450
Alkalinity: 11 dkh
Mag: 1300

I run a UV steriliser, Skimmer, refugium with cheato, plenty of live rock.

I do also own both a porcupine puffer and snowflake eel who are messy eaters but due to this issue i tend to not feed that much mostly because i worry feeding causes more issues with the algae/detritus.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm wondering if it's more of a sponge type...i tried looking for you and could not find anything..

OP
OP
K

Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm wondering if it's more of a sponge type...i tried looking for you and could not find anything..
Thank you for looking, yeah i’m just super confused and frustrated by it, i spend most my early mornings and evenings trying to manually remove it which i think is a loosing battle.

Nitrates are likely low due to some algae growth like you said @SlugSnorter however i like to ‘think’ i keep nutrients low by 10-15% water changes weekly and the use of nopox (soon upgrading to a reactor with bio pellets).

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for looking, yeah i’m just super confused and frustrated by it, i spend most my early mornings and evenings trying to manually remove it which i think is a loosing battle.

Nitrates are likely low due to some algae growth like you said @SlugSnorter however i like to ‘think’ i keep nutrients low by 10-15% water changes weekly and the use of nopox (soon upgrading to a reactor with bio pellets).
purigen could maybe help

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back