Algae of some sort?

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a type of algae in my tank and I'm not sure what it is. It started out on a Zoa that died and I had to throw out then I started noticing it in the sand bed clumping up sand and now I noticed it on the rocks. Any idea what it is or how to combat it? The pictures aren't too good because the spot on the rock is in the back corner and hard to reach.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chunk out of the sand and here's what that looks like, it seems like strings that just tie big chunks of sand together and holds it there, I've never seen anything like it online or in my experience

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like hair algae because I have a little patch of that stuff that isn't spreading or anything but won't budge no matter what I do, this stuff isn't as thick and doesn't seem to grow the same

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will need closer pictures similar to the first one to be able to see structure.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with green hair, check your nutrients and do you have a clean up crew at work?

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with green hair, check your nutrients and do you have a clean up crew at work?
I have 2 astreas and 2 hermits, what would a good addition to help clean it? I'm worried about bioload since it's only a standard 5 gallon. My nutrients were good last I checked I must admit that was over 2 weeks ago but I do a 50% water change weekly that had kept it all in check for a long time, I'll have I recheck everything today

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 astreas and 2 hermits, what would a good addition to help clean it? I'm worried about bioload since it's only a standard 5 gallon. My nutrients were good last I checked I must admit that was over 2 weeks ago but I do a 50% water change weekly that had kept it all in check for a long time, I'll have I recheck everything today
Throw in a Mexican turbo, those guys clean. depending on how bad and the system it is usually one CUC per gallon.

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs eat Bryopsis. They seem to be the only critters besides urchins equipped to handle the stuff.

DJ

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it super bad. I could pull several measuring one cup cups out everyday. Raised my magenesium to soften it up pulled what I could and added yellow tang. Tank is almost clear after a week. That was my experience with it. Others say other wise. Good luck. Also was told peroxide dip rock that has it or use a Baster to squeeze some on it and pull it off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back