Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't dosed Dino X in almost a week now. Still have small traces in the remaining sand, and dusting on rocks. I was also able to identify some cells in a sample from dead algae still on the glass. Very disheartening, but at least their numbers have been reduced. Not really sure what I will be doing next. Getting out of the hobby is tempting after 9 months of an ugly devoid tank, but idk if I'll actually do that.
Doesn't sound like you have much to lose if the tank is devoid. Do you have nutrients?

I would go with some live rock, some phyto, some silicates and a ton of fish poo. At least then, you would have a different set of competitors. I don't see dinos being real competitive in that scenario. Why not?

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't sound like you have much to lose if the tank is devoid. Do you have nutrients?

I would go with some live rock, some phyto, some silicates and a ton of fish poo. At least then, you would have a different set of competitors. I don't see dinos being real competitive in that scenario. Why not?
Well I have fish, and literally two zoa frags but that's it. Dinos didn't let any sticks survive. Last test I did i had 30 nitrates, and .08 po4. I have some of that gulf live rock curing in a 10g still. Maybe I'll toss a piece in today that isn't quite fully cured to boost up the bacteria colonies to process that ammonia. It's a 92g system so shouldn't harm anything.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I have fish, and literally two zoa frags but that's it. Dinos didn't let any sticks survive. Last test I did i had 30 nitrates, and .08 po4. I have some of that gulf live rock curing in a 10g still. Maybe I'll toss a piece in today that isn't quite fully cured to boost up the bacteria colonies to process that ammonia. It's a 92g system so shouldn't harm anything.
Why don't you cut your loses on the zoa frags and go totally dark for 20 days? I still have mine hanging around as a slight broad shadow in some spots on the sand but only during peak light hours. I did read about someone who had success dosing Vibrant while making sure nutrients didn't bottom out. Another bacterial competitor, I guess. If I don't keep up on my phosphate dosing and testing the shadow starts to get darker and redder. From what I can guess by looking at the scope, I have mostly small cell left, which look like they are the really tough ones. It's definitely easy to get discouraged. I have weeks where I want to give up, then weeks where I buy a bunch of coral. Eight months later and I still have these little buggers hanging in there, refusing to go away completely.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some would just turn in circles “ staying in place and spinning on there own axis. And others were moving so sporadically, I had to chase them around to keep them in view. I haven’t looked into a microscope since junior high, and that’s been a while. I haven’t tried the 25x eye piece. These where at 400x. I purchased the.
AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X
I read somewhere on here that it was a decent scope.
The thing is, these are only on the sand bed. 3 day black out helped, but they came back. I know large cell amphidinium is unaffected by blackouts according to everything I’ve read. Not sure on small cell. I’ll have to do more reading. The thing is, I’m upgrading from a 54 to a 210. And really don’t want to deal with this again. I’m considering a large uv on the new tank. I just don’t want to plumb it directly in the tank where it would be most effective with certain kinds of dinos. I’ll be starting with new sand and new rock. I plan on keeping nitrates and phosphates up from the beginning and introducing as much diversity as I can. But knowing my luck, it’ll probably rear it’s ugly head again.:( I read through the whole “Are you tired of battling dinos “ Thread. That took a while!!! Thanks for getting back to me.
@taricha
Well I finally upgraded to the new 210. Jeez, a year later!!! Long setup process for sure. I set it up with dry rock. Also seeded the rock with Aquabiomics reef rubble to add some biodiversity. It’s supposed to be pest free. Confirmed with DNA analysis. Well it may be fish “parasite free” , but so far I’ve delt with bryopsis. Since adding the rubble I haven’t turned of the pumps until today. I saw an all to familiar look when I turned the pumps off. That clumping together look of dinos when the water is still. Brown masses all in the water column. I thought, you’ve got to be kidding. Haven’t even transferred any corals from the old tank. That tells me the dinos definitely came on the reef rubble..Pretty p*ssed really. So much for starting things out right. In a realistic world, I know deep down dinos are going to make their way into the new system one way or another. So after my discovery today I immediately took a sample to check under the microscope. I’m thinking small cell Amphidinium. Some are very Fast moving. Roomba like. Curved beak to the left. Others are not moving at all. Thought I’d get your opinion when you get time.

Last edited:

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow- I was definitely going to purchase some aquabiomics rubble on their next shipment specifically to use the rubble biodiversity to help w my amphid Dino problem. Definitely going to reconsider now. Was going to buy two packs for my 25 nano as overkill to really up the good guys-- I may be upping the bad guys too it seems. Argh!

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why don't you cut your loses on the zoa frags and go totally dark for 20 days? I still have mine hanging around as a slight broad shadow in some spots on the sand but only during peak light hours. I did read about someone who had success dosing Vibrant while making sure nutrients didn't bottom out. Another bacterial competitor, I guess. If I don't keep up on my phosphate dosing and testing the shadow starts to get darker and redder. From what I can guess by looking at the scope, I have mostly small cell left, which look like they are the really tough ones. It's definitely easy to get discouraged. I have weeks where I want to give up, then weeks where I buy a bunch of coral. Eight months later and I still have these little buggers hanging in there, refusing to go away completely.
Will the amphids not just go into cyst state and wait it out?

I have noticed something interesting. Ever since pulling 90% of my sand bed, the dinos have started colonizing the rock work. I pulled out three individual rocks and sprayed with hydrogen peroxide to kill the surface dinos. It has been a week since the first rock, and the dinos haven't touched it still. I'm thinking I may now blast all of my rock with peroxide gradually to see if this can wipe them out for good.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow- I was definitely going to purchase some aquabiomics rubble on their next shipment specifically to use the rubble biodiversity to help w my amphid Dino problem. Definitely going to reconsider now. Was going to buy two packs for my 25 nano as overkill to really up the good guys-- I may be upping the bad guys too it seems. Argh!
I’m sure the biodiversity it adds possibly outweighs the dinos it came with. In their defense. After reviewing the papers that came with each tub of rubble, it clearly says on the pie chart that Dinoflagellata is present. Was actually present on each tubs papers. I also feel it’s impossible to keep dinos out of a system.

F1FF4C1B-1B06-423A-BACB-E2A54924191B.jpeg 918F6677-E7F3-449B-9705-906F6506213D.jpeg

Last edited:

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of came to the same conclusion after all I’ve heard and read but thanks for confirming. I did start with dry rock a few years ago and have had lots of corals come and go from various places so not sure what my bacterial biome looks like at this point but I’m leaning towards throwing a bacterial booster shot in there anyway. I’ve spent money on dumber things that’s for sure lol

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I put about 5-6 pounds of the Gulfliverock in last weekend. That, peroxide, and dosing 5ml of PO4 daily is having some effect...there's small clear patches on the rock among the brown dino film. My stance on Dino X now is that if it doesn't clear your tank, it at least takes them down enough to be susceptible to other treatments

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally upgraded to the new 210. Jeez, a year later!!! Long setup process for sure. I set it up with dry rock. Also seeded the rock with Aquabiomics reef rubble to add some biodiversity. It’s supposed to be pest free. Confirmed with DNA analysis. Well it may be fish “parasite free” , but so far I’ve delt with bryopsis. Since adding the rubble I haven’t turned of the pumps until today. I saw an all to familiar look when I turned the pumps off. That clumping together look of dinos when the water is still. Brown masses all in the water column. I thought, you’ve got to be kidding. Haven’t even transferred any corals from the old tank. That tells me the dinos definitely came on the reef rubble..Pretty p*ssed really. So much for starting things out right. In a realistic world, I know deep down dinos are going to make their way into the new system one way or another. So after my discovery today I immediately took a sample to check under the microscope. I’m thinking small cell Amphidinium. Some are very Fast moving. Roomba like. Curved beak to the left. Others are not moving at all. Thought I’d get your opinion when you get time.
Yeah, those are amphidinium, likely small cell.
As you say, dinos find a way anyway. Countless people have torn down their tank and rebuilt from only sterile sources, and dinos show up. So it's totally possible that it came from the rubble. But it shows up in systems where there is no clear vector for its (re)introduction also.

I’m sure the biodiversity it adds possibly outweighs the dinos it came with. In their defense. After reviewing the papers that came with each tub of rubble, it clearly says on the pie chart that Dinoflagellata is present. Was actually present on each tubs papers. I also feel it’s impossible to keep dinos out of a system.
That's interesting, and it presents one of the limits with broad genetic categorization.

There are over a hundred genera of dinoflagellates. Our nuisance dinoflagellates in the hobby come from only a handful of genera: ostreopsis, amphidinium, prorocentrum, coolia, and gambierdiscus. Literally only those 5.
But even if you had a sophisticated enough method/database to flag those 5 genera, some strains of amphidinium live as symbionts in coral, clams, flatworms etc (not widespread in coral though).
So if you get a set of genetic data that just says dinoflagellata, it's probably unlikely to be one of our nuisance "dinos" much more likely to be the other hundred genera that don't cause issues in the hobby. And any material that has been in a shared environment with coral would likely have come in contact with zooxanthellae from coral, dinoflagellates of the genus symbiodinium.

So any sufficiently sensitive sampling might be expected to detect dinoflagellates, and it's really unlikely that what's detected is a problem "dino".

Dlucero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock enhance by reef brite worked immediately for me. I tried the peroxide, I dumped m7. Skimmer off running dirty tank. None of these appeared to put a dent. I added neophos probably 400ml phosphates were zero. I couldn’t get them up, they still are not registering on a Hanna checker. I added one dose of instructed LRE at night. Next day scrapped all the glass clean, restarted skimmer, turned back on filter roller. I expected by mid light cycle to see the explosion like I had before but to my surprise the Dino looked weakened and dried out. No longer was the Dino brown string but rather gray. Day two after initial LRE dose there is hardly any Dino still some but it’s limited to very few spots but it has gray. I’ll treat again LRE tonight as it states every other day. Po4 still zero by the way. Few things about the tank bare bottom 2yrs old originally Fowlr has some frags now. I don’t know if this will help everyone but it’s worth a shot.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live rock enhance by reef brite worked immediately for me. I tried the peroxide, I dumped m7. Skimmer off running dirty tank. None of these appeared to put a dent. I added neophos probably 400ml phosphates were zero. I couldn’t get them up, they still are not registering on a Hanna checker. I added one dose of instructed LRE at night. Next day scrapped all the glass clean, restarted skimmer, turned back on filter roller. I expected by mid light cycle to see the explosion like I had before but to my surprise the Dino looked weakened and dried out. No longer was the Dino brown string but rather gray. Day two after initial LRE dose there is hardly any Dino still some but it’s limited to very few spots but it has gray. I’ll treat again LRE tonight as it states every other day. Po4 still zero by the way. Few things about the tank bare bottom 2yrs old originally Fowlr has some frags now. I don’t know if this will help everyone but it’s worth a shot.
I just read a post somewhere on FB talking about how LRE didn't do anything for the OP and now I read this lol.

Dlucero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 99% Dino free and the only thing I did was LRE last three days. Prior to this for a month went through quite a bit of things. None of it had an impact for my tank. I will add though fighting Dinos isn’t a one method helps everyone. Different things work for different people and no one knows why one works for one tank and not the other. It’s worth a shot IMO.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 99% Dino free and the only thing I did was LRE last three days. Prior to this for a month went through quite a bit of things. None of it had an impact for my tank. I will add though fighting Dinos isn’t a one method helps everyone. Different things work for different people and no one knows why one works for one tank and not the other. It’s worth a shot IMO.
When it comes to this particular species, I could not agree more. It seems to me to be the most difficult species to solve for.

skp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I tried reading through this thread but it would've took me too long. I started with bleach cured live rock and a fishless cycle with ammonia nutrient and bacteria. I got a diatom bloom and then it went away. I was only adding fresh cuts to try and avoid hitchhikers and ich. About three months after cycle, I added a chalice that I had to add with a piece of rock it was on. Seven days later I had what I thought at the time was another diatom outbreak. Microbacter clean kept it in check but kept my NO3 low (2-3 ppm) and my PO4 low (0.01 - 0.03). I stopped dosing Microbacter clean and then it took off. It blew away like dust and my snails and abalone and conch ate it so I thought they were diatoms but then I did a paper towel test and a microscope test and it looks like I have Amphidinium. Everywhere I read, it says to stop doing water changes and raise my NO3 and PO4. However, will raising those even help if I don't have any other algae in my tank? What do you think are the chances that I don't have any other algae? I'm sure cyano is lurking somewhere but I can't see anything else. Thanks!

Attachments

• Amphidinium_Dinoflagellates.jpg
    Amphidinium_Dinoflagellates.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 42

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I tried reading through this thread but it would've took me too long. I started with bleach cured live rock and a fishless cycle with ammonia nutrient and bacteria. I got a diatom bloom and then it went away. I was only adding fresh cuts to try and avoid hitchhikers and ich. About three months after cycle, I added a chalice that I had to add with a piece of rock it was on. Seven days later I had what I thought at the time was another diatom outbreak. Microbacter clean kept it in check but kept my NO3 low (2-3 ppm) and my PO4 low (0.01 - 0.03). I stopped dosing Microbacter clean and then it took off. It blew away like dust and my snails and abalone and conch ate it so I thought they were diatoms but then I did a paper towel test and a microscope test and it looks like I have Amphidinium. Everywhere I read, it says to stop doing water changes and raise my NO3 and PO4. However, will raising those even help if I don't have any other algae in my tank? What do you think are the chances that I don't have any other algae? I'm sure cyano is lurking somewhere but I can't see anything else. Thanks!
I see cells that look like dinos but no way for me to confirm species based on that image, sorry. At ~4 months or so my advice is ride it out. Keep all the basics (temp, salinity) in line and ride it. More fish poop. Dead rock starts are tough; I don't have the guts for them personally but many do. If you can add some microbial diversity, that is what I would do. Your biome is not natural right now, so dinos fill in for that. The biome needs natural competition. Sure, live rock brings some issues but sterility has a price too.

skp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see cells that look like dinos but no way for me to confirm species based on that image, sorry. At ~4 months or so my advice is ride it out. Keep all the basics (temp, salinity) in line and ride it. More fish poop. Dead rock starts are tough; I don't have the guts for them personally but many do. If you can add some microbial diversity, that is what I would do. Your biome is not natural right now, so dinos fill in for that. The biome needs natural competition. Sure, live rock brings some issues but sterility has a price too.
They're oval and flat and swim straight. They don't have any mucus and disappear into the sand when the lights go out and nothing has died after eating them for months. Do Amphidinium burn themselves out like other things? I've dosed nitrates and am about to start dosing phosphates too but I don't see any other algae. I've introduced hermits and snails with coralline and other algae on their shells but they eventually get covered by this brown stuff. I'm thinking, even if I add a rock with other microbes on it, it's going to get covered at this point. I have a couple acro frags and they've been fine the whole time. Thanks. I think I'll try going back to Microbacter clean while dosing NO and PO4 so they don't bottom out and report back.

Attachments

• Dinos.MOV
    458.3 KB

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're oval and flat and swim straight. They don't have any mucus and disappear into the sand when the lights go out and nothing has died after eating them for months. Do Amphidinium burn themselves out like other things? I've dosed nitrates and am about to start dosing phosphates too but I don't see any other algae. I've introduced hermits and snails with coralline and other algae on their shells but they eventually get covered by this brown stuff. I'm thinking, even if I add a rock with other microbes on it, it's going to get covered at this point. I have a couple acro frags and they've been fine the whole time. Thanks. I think I'll try going back to Microbacter clean while dosing NO and PO4 so they don't bottom out and report back.
Staying in the sand is a pretty strong tell for LC Amphids. IME they also have the strongest defenses. Diatoms are a primary competitor so dosing Silicates via Sponge Excel is common. These are very resilient though; Job like patience required.
@taricha other thoughts?

skp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staying in the sand is a pretty strong tell for LC Amphids. IME they also have the strongest defenses. Diatoms are a primary competitor so dosing Silicates via Sponge Excel is common. These are very resilient though; Job like patience required.
@taricha other thoughts?
I read that they can coexist with diatoms and then I also read that diatoms can out compete them. It’s amazing how little we know about them. This corner has the lowest flow and is totally covered after 4 hours of lights. It never totally disappears which makes me wonder if the darker brown stuff is something else.

Attachments

• 3793506B-DC6B-45CF-BA21-F5669011E148.jpeg
    3793506B-DC6B-45CF-BA21-F5669011E148.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that they can coexist with diatoms and then I also read that diatoms can out compete them. It’s amazing how little we know about them.
It's even more amazing than that. These Large Cell amphidinium are a ghost in the scientific lit. They barely get a mention, they never get nailed down by species, and there isn't a single paper I'm aware of that talks about a bloom in the wild of this type.

Si dosing is a good move though, especially in your situation. Your system is overall fairly happy at the current nutrient levels, so IF you adjust them, I wouldn't adjust them much. Si dosing creates a strong competitor for the exact same requirements of nutrients, space etc even if you don't change nutrients. Diatoms have a growth rate that exceeds dinos, and over time, they will replace. Diatoms are more widely edible to snails crabs etc, and are less annoying to hobbyists.

They don't have any mucus and disappear into the sand when the lights go out and nothing has died after eating them for months. Do Amphidinium burn themselves out like other things? I've dosed nitrates and am about to start dosing phosphates too but I don't see any other algae. I've introduced hermits and snails with coralline and other algae on their shells but they eventually get covered by this brown stuff. I'm thinking, even if I add a rock with other microbes on it, it's going to get covered at this point. I have a couple acro frags and they've been fine the whole time.
Like I said, your system sounds mostly happy, and your dinos seem to be just an annoyance. That means your treatments should be very conservative and minor. I'd add Si, and a little PO4, and then make sure NO3 doesn't zero - but I really wouldn't move it much if my acros were happy and I'm just dealing with some brown sand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back