Anthia Popeye

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed one of my anthias in qt had popeye today. She’s already gone through 14 days of 2.5 copper power and 14 days of medicated food (gc, focus, vita, selcon and garlic) she is on the 4th day in separate qt dosed with gc! I believe it’s an injury so I’m going to start with epsom salt dosed at 1 tbsp per 5 gallon, if it doesn’t get better I’ll do a 100% wc and begin Erythromycin treatment! Any input is appreciated.
@HotRocks @Humblefish
Ps fish is still eating frozen mysis with vitamins!

6AB09B93-FCFC-4855-9E61-747DEDC35385.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like just the one eye is involved, correct? When you see discrete air bubbles in one eye, you’re right, that is usually due to mechanical trauma. However, you will want to absolutely rule out supersaturation: check for air leaks at the suction side of any pumps, and ensure that all water returns break the surface tension. Don’t dose with erythromycin, there isn’t any indication of bacterial infection, and that will impair your biofilter. This is pretty severe, ultimately, the eye is probably going to rupture.

Jay

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like just the one eye is involved, correct? When you see discrete air bubbles in one eye, you’re right, that is usually due to mechanical trauma. However, you will want to absolutely rule out supersaturation: check for air leaks at the suction side of any pumps, and ensure that all water returns break the surface tension. Don’t dose with erythromycin, there isn’t any indication of bacterial infection, and that will impair your biofilter. This is pretty severe, ultimately, the eye is probably going to rupture.

Jay
Thank you, and yes it’s just the one eye! Can you “dumb it down” and explain in detail when you say ensure all water pumps break the surface tension. I don’t understand how this would cause Popeye! Thank you in advance

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treated one of mine with espon salt. Dosed it once then 4days later again. Problem solved.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine got it two weeks ago and I just let her be. It’s almost back to normal. If cloudy, melafix will help the eye

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and yes it’s just the one eye! Can you “dumb it down” and explain in detail when you say ensure all water pumps break the surface tension. I don’t understand how this would cause Popeye! Thank you in advance
So - if there is a slight air leak on it he suction side of a pump, air is injected into the water under pressure. It then comes out of solution in the fish’s capillaries, causing air bubbles. By returning water from the pump by breaking the surface and making bubbles, it drives off the dissolved gasses like shaking a can of soda. Like I said though, that almost always causes Popeye in both eyes.

Jay

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - if there is a slight air leak on it he suction side of a pump, air is injected into the water under pressure. It then comes out of solution in the fish’s capillaries, causing air bubbles. By returning water from the pump by breaking the surface and making bubbles, it drives off the dissolved gasses like shaking a can of soda. Like I said though, that almost always causes Popeye in both eyes.

Jay
Thank you, I understand now!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is large enough and you can find a small enough needle, I'm fairly certain i've read of technique where you treat popeye by first inserting a needle into the eye socket, and drain the fluid that way!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back