Any suggestions or tips for moving??

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be moving my tank to DC next weekend. Any tips or suggestions you find helpful let me know. Thanks

pwoller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple rubbermaids and fill them with tank water and corals and then move. Extra heaters, powerheads and you should be fine.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of all the coral that you think you will want to replace. This way there couple be much less to move. If you have a deep sand bed I would recommend keeping it in the tank if possible and try not to disturb it. If you have to tank the sand out of the tank I would replace it with new sand but keep a little of your current sand to seed the new.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get and inverter and run a heater and power head inside a plastic ice chest. I'd get rid of any livestock and corals that you can easily replace. If you had a tank already set up at the DC end, it would make the move easier.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I made a 75 mile move I was able to find some old temporary tanks that I setup in the new house, had water in them and was up and running with sponge filters. So all I had to do was pack up the fish and corals in coolers and acclimate them to their temp home untill the main tank was moved and setup

chefmike

Cooking with corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hardest part about moving, for me anyway, wasn't the corals and fish so much as it was trying to move as much of the water from the existing location as possible...having a temporary setup at the new location would definitely help...aged water that is up to temp that you could acclimated the animals too and give you time to get the tank back up and running.

Shells

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a move and it was only 10 miles. I did have a temperary tank at the new house which made it easy for the corals and fish. My problem was the sand. Once I moved the tank into the new house, the ammonia was so high from the existing sand that I still could not put my corals in for a while. I eventually had to drain the tank and rinse the sand (except a small protion to re-seed). In hind sight I would not of lugged all the sand and would have done as reefpets recommended above - only take a little bit of sand to re-seed.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water, water and more water. Do not use any of the old sand. Your LR will be plenty to help you seed the new tank. Also, locate the nearest lfs in case you will need to make a run for anything.

Good luck

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm going to put everything in my moms tank for the time being so i don't lose any livestock.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back