Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But let's not get off the topic of the Oxydator and its relevance to any posts on here. By all means use this thread to report on Oxydators and what results you get using them. Like I have said many times I have been singing the praises of Oxydators and what they are capable of for around 30 years of the 36 years I have been keeping marine systems of one sort or another. Some people have even taken notice ;>)
That was my point:)

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread! I've ordered a D for my small setup, interested in high oxygenation similar to ocean reef environments.

Has anyone used an oxydator in conjunction with a DO probe to track how well it oxygenates the water? If not, would this be something others are interested in seeing? I have a spot open for a DO probe...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No You're misunderstanding. I think you should start a thread - with your tank - Its great information - and everyone wants to hear about it (or almost everyone) - I think it deserves its own thread. If you want to keep it here - Its not like I'm the Rulemaker - I only suggested it to get more interest from the broader community:)

EDIT - I'm really sorry If I implied that you shouldn't post it here. I really think your tank deserves its own thread - thats a compliment - not a criticism. I would suggest - frequent posts, pictures, etc - I'm very interested in whether this product helps - which is independent of the oxydator
I didnt take it wrong at all, i will actually make a thread to document as soon as I get the substrate sauce from algaebarn, just ordered it after talking with ken. You are awesome, dw

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT I'm not sure it will have a big (if any) effect on anaerobes - which are growing mostly in areas that are anaerobic (i.e. that don't let oxygen in). I suppose one could suggest that a slightly higher oxygen level in a tank means that more oxygenated water can get into these 'anaerobic' areas. But, I doubt its significant.
IME the anaerobic part of the aquarium will be much lesser when the oxygen tension is high.

PNSB in general and Rhodopseudomonas in particular are highly tolerant of (and even reproduce in) aerobic conditions. We however tend not to see many PNSB in aerobic environments due to their loss of several competitive advantages there (they are incapable performing diazotrophy, denitrification and photosynthesis in the presence of oxygen). I
However if you create anaerobic condition in a reversed flow DSB (as I do) you can use both oxydators and PNSB (Purble non sulphur bacteria which is more known as a part of the effective microorganisms in Bokashi compost) without problems. The oxydator will reduce the organic mulm in the oxygenated part partly because of higher effectivity and biological mineralization from aerobic heterotrophs and partly by chemical mineralization by surplus active radicals, The PNSB will work in the same direction in the anaerobic parts of the DSB. I have add PNSB into my anaerobic plenum - however - I have still not been able to add light into these anaerobic parts in order to use the photosynthesis process from these bacteria.

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME the anaerobic part of the aquarium will be much lesser when the oxygen tension is high.

However if you create anaerobic condition in a reversed flow DSB (as I do) you can use both oxydators and PNSB (Purble non sulphur bacteria which is more known as a part of the effective microorganisms in Bokashi compost) without problems. The oxydator will reduce the organic mulm in the oxygenated part partly because of higher effectivity and biological mineralization from aerobic heterotrophs and partly by chemical mineralization by surplus active radicals, The PNSB will work in the same direction in the anaerobic parts of the DSB. I have add PNSB into my anaerobic plenum - however - I have still not been able to add light into these anaerobic parts in order to use the photosynthesis process from these bacteria.

Sincerely Lasse
I am going to disagree here - unless someone has data - about how much the dissolved oxygen - for example - increases - in a DSB before and after an oxydator addition:). EDIT - or affects the Dissolved oxygen

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
I have that deep blue aquarium type giant overflow with such little flow at the bottom that it should be perfect, I also use t5 so this area definitely gets some light down there so it may be something to follow how that effects it as well, there are many things that impact an aquarium so that is why i will make the other thread ty mnfish1 for the idea

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to disagree here - unless someone has data - about how much the dissolved oxygen - for example - increases - in a DSB before and after an oxydator addition:). EDIT - or affects the Dissolved oxygen
good point i am just going with low flow area so i think i should be fine

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to disagree here - unless someone has data
Need no data just around 7 years in elementary school and knowledge of the metric system. If you have a solution of 100 ml with 12 % H2O2 based on volume - it means that 12 ml will be pure H2O2. Relative density of H2O2 is 34/18 = 1.88 - > it means that this 12 ml H2O2 has a weight of 1.88*12 = 22.56 g. Of this is H2O 18/34 = 0,529 .> 53 %. 47 % is extra O.
47 % of 22.56 g = 10,6 g O and with total conversion into O2 - it will form 5.3 g O2. 100 ml 12 % H2O2 will give 5.3 g O2 fully catalyzed. in 100 L - it means an extra boost of 53 mg/L O2 - in 1000 L it will boost the oxygen content with 5,3 mg/L. In my case - my oxidatorcatalyz 25 ml 12% H2O2 a day. - it means in best case around 1.33 g pure O2 a day. My aquarium is 300 L - it means an extra boost of 4.4 mg/L a day from only the oxydator ( . This has a huge impact on the average daily oxygen tension in an aquarium. In my aquarium - the 100 saturation is around 6.4 mg.

There is few studies done on oxygen levels in a reef aquarium. One that I know of says that the investigated aquarium had a saturation between 80% and around 120 % when a skimmer was in use (in my aquarium is should be between 5.1 to 7.7 mg/L depending on light or not. During my 12 dark hours - my oxydator would be able to deliver around 2.2 mg/L. My average oxygen tension would probably rise a lot but you are right in one thing. It should be nice to measure this up. I hope I will be able to do that in the future

By the way - I have always H2O2 at home. It is a reserve if I get a power shout down and no chance to oxygenate my water in other ways.

If I missed something in my math - please let me know

Sincerely Lasse

=

Last edited:

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need no data just around 7 years in elementary school and knowledge of the metric system. If you have a solution of 100 ml with 12 % H2O2 based on volume - it means that 12 ml will be pure H2O2. Relative density of H2O2 is 34/18 = 1.88 - > it means that this 12 ml H2O2 has a weight of 1.88*12 = 22.56 g. Of this is H2O 18/34 = 0,529 .> 53 %. 47 % is extra O.
47 % of 22.56 g = 10,6 g O and with total conversion into O2 - it will form 5.3 g O2. 100 ml 12 % H2O2 will give 5.3 g O2 fully catalyzed. in 100 L - it means an extra boost of 53 mg/L O2 - in 1000 L it will boost the oxygen content with 5,3 mg/L. In my case - my oxidatorcatalyz 25 ml 12% H2O2 a day. - it means in best case around 1.33 g pure O2 a day. My aquarium is 300 L - it means an extra boost of 4.4 mg/L a day from only the oxydator ( . This has a huge impact on the average daily oxygen tension in an aquarium. In my aquarium - the 100 saturation is around 6.4 mg.

There is few studies done on oxygen levels in a reef aquarium. One that I know of says that the investigated aquarium had a saturation between 80% and around 120 % when a skimmer was in use (in my aquarium is should be between 5.1 to 7.7 mg/L depending on light or not. During my 12 dark hours - my oxydator would be able to deliver around 2.2 mg/L. My average oxygen tension would probably rise a lot but you are right in one thing. It should be nice to measure this up. I hope I will be able to do that in the future

By the way - I have always H2O2 at home. It is a reserve if I get a power shout down and no chance to oxygenate my water in other ways.

Sincerely Lasse

=
You learned that in elementary school? Jeesch!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse - I wasn't totally clear. My comment was not related to whether dissolved O2 would increase, etc. It was whether the amount of oxygen in the tank would significantly enter anaerobic bacteria 'zones' such that it would cause a problem. I do not think it will - and I don't think it will be a problem. It is interesting - how much oxygen is produced.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 40 gal tank over a 4 day power outage just with the oxydator and had 0 fish losses.
Yep, I tell people who have lost fish due to power outages of have frequent power outages to buy one. In fact I would suggest most people should have one ad a backup. Not that many take any notice of my snake oil recommendations of course.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I tell people who have lost fish due to power outages of have frequent power outages to buy one. In fact I would suggest most people should have one ad a backup. Not that many take any notice of my snake oil recommendations of course.
To add H2O2 to indoor fish farm tanks during a power breakdown have saved many tons of fish for me. Its not snake oil at all

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You learned that in elementary school? Jeesch!
When I was in elementary school back in the 50:ties and 60:ties we had 9 years of elementary school. Yes a 7 grader should be able to both use percent calculations, calculate density and handle atomic and molecular weight calculations. But we are used of the metric system in very young age and all of these calculations and understandings is much easier if you are familiar with this system. But its pure math - but I´m not sure the calculations is 100 % right - it was 57 years since I was in the 7 grade :D

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add H2O2 to indoor fish farm tanks during a power breakdown have saved many tons of fish for me. Its not snake oil at all

Sincerely Lasse
Correct Lasse, its some others who tend to think they are snake oil.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct Lasse, its some others who tend to think they are snake oil.
I ran out of H2O2 - somehow? And have not been able to use the oxydator - the amount of algae on the glass has increased dramatically. When I use it the water (to me) is extremely clear - now I see some start of 'gelbwasser'.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out of H2O2 - somehow? And have not been able to use the oxydator - the amount of algae on the glass has increased dramatically. When I use it the water (to me) is extremely clear - now I see some start of 'gelbwasser'.
Many in fact most report similar findings. Using an Oxydator often results in clearer water and less cleaning of the aquarium glass.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try one, So I grabbed the D size for my 25 gallon based on the information on the website. Theshrimptank.

I wish I would have looked for sizing on each unit as the D size fits my water volume, but not in the middle chamber of my AIO like I was hoping. I will fit in the Display, so I'll probably keep it in case of an emergency power outage or something, plus I emailed the company and never got a response to exchange it for the "nano" version.

Everything I've seen is very positive, I should probably just order the nano and give it a try, just not sure on its overall size.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try one, So I grabbed the D size for my 25 gallon based on the information on the website. Theshrimptank.

I wish I would have looked for sizing on each unit as the D size fits my water volume, but not in the middle chamber of my AIO like I was hoping. I will fit in the Display, so I'll probably keep it in case of an emergency power outage or something, plus I emailed the company and never got a response to exchange it for the "nano" version.

Everything I've seen is very positive, I should probably just order the nano and give it a try, just not sure on its overall size.
Would it not be possible to grind some of the base away to make it fit in the chamber?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back