Anything that eats palys?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Not really my place, but felt a slight nudge back into the direction of the OP question would be helpful. The other debate is taking over the thread, may be best continue thru PM.

@Tamberav those crabs are awesome. Never knew they had that type of diet.

They eat them to make themselves toxic...the bright colors are a warning to predators that they are poison.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate that paly shortly after this photo

MVIMG_20190626_201049.jpg
Thanks very much for the pic., Tamberav!
So beautiful!!! Man, that is an amazing crab!!

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few of the nuclear green type palys growing amongst a colony of magicians so i treated them to a meal of aiptasia X, only one if them returned after so it proved quite effective for me

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some five years ago or so I read that Zoanthus sociatus was found with palytoxin.
So I dont trust the sociatus. I dont sell any buttons because I dont know if they have the poison or how they get it.
Is it possible that a Zoanthus can take up palytoxin from Palytoa? Will it the dissapear if we remove the Palyhoa?
With this 2 question unanswered I can not sell Zoanthus in a responsible way.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that big guy eat zoanthids too or just palys? i see some what look like zoanthid in there? he ate those too?

Yes, both zoas and palys although he did eat all the palys before he started on the zoas so perhaps he has a preference if given the option? So far he has never touched any other coral besides zoas/palys, even when I ran out of them. He will accept frozen food/pellets too. I kept him in a pico with a tiny blenny and two clingfish and some small inverts which he didn't bother either. Right now he lives in my sump.

I didn't mind, I put the frags in there for him to eat.... purple deaths.... utter chaos... tasty!

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of said Paly would help.

By far the most common Green/brown paly in the hobby would probably be Palythoa/protopalythoa mutuki. Are you referring to those?
Here are some pics
20191014_223842.jpg

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, both zoas and palys although he did eat all the palys before he started on the zoas so perhaps he has a preference if given the option? So far he has never touched any other coral besides zoas/palys, even when I ran out of them. He will accept frozen food/pellets too. I kept him in a pico with a tiny blenny and two clingfish and some small inverts which he didn't bother either. Right now he lives in my sump.

I didn't mind, I put the frags in there for him to eat.... purple deaths.... utter chaos... tasty!
Care to sell him to me? Or loan? Seriously.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics
20191014_223842.jpg

Those dont really look like P. mutuki, those do indeed look to be P. toxica / P. heliodiscus to my eyes, which are supposed to have the highest concentration of palytoxin of all the palys, so use caution when dealing with them.

Do you have an acrylic fish trap? or access to one ? If so I wouldn't hesitate to throw a kleins butterfly in there, it will mow down those palys before picking at anything else. Just need to be able to yank it after the job is done as it's not a fish I would consider reef safe.
If can get those paly eating crabs, they might be a better choice.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gaudy crab that murders any palythoa it sees. But its tiny, so it would take a while to clear out an entire tank. He knocks out about 5P/wk in my experience of keeping him in a small shroom box in my tank and feeding him frags of mind blowing palys, mohawks, and other cheap polyps.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to sell him to me? Or loan? Seriously.

Your tank looks like heaven for him but I am quite attached to him!

I have a gaudy crab that murders any palythoa it sees. But its tiny, so it would take a while to clear out an entire tank. He knocks out about 5P/wk in my experience of keeping him in a small shroom box in my tank and feeding him frags of mind blowing palys, mohawks, and other cheap polyps.

Mine eats much faster although I wouldn't describe him as tiny. Probably medium emerald crab size?

When I add a frag of zoas for him... about 5-10 polyps..they are gone by the next morning.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are killing me here... Please share where you got them? I'm in need, and would buy 2-3, maybe 5

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks like heaven for him but I am quite attached to him!

Mine eats much faster although I wouldn't describe him as tiny. Probably medium emerald crab size?

When I add a frag of zoas for him... about 5-10 polyps..they are gone by the next morning.

If you ever decide to part ways with him or loan him out I'd love to be able to get rid of these "nuclear green palys" without risking damaging my sps. Will pay rental fee, lol

Reefer_Tom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a paly problem that I thought I eradicated. Does anyone have tips on eradicating them or have suggestions as to what may eat them? They're the ubiquitous green ones that come in as a hitchhiker and I must have had one or two left, but they're proliferating like crazy!

idk what else you have in the tank but maybe some angle fish would enjoy eating them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back