Are 3 AI primes adequate for a mixed reef?

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a red sea 350 (L120xH53xW50cm) with an NSA that im going to have lit with 3 AI primes... Well actually 1x original AI prime HD in the centre and then 2x AI prime 16HDs on either side. Each light is mounted 10 inches from the water surface.

My question is, would this setup be adequate (in terms of lighting intensity) for a mixed reef with sps exclusively on top of the rockwork (ranging from halfway up to less than 4 inches from water surface) and lps/softies on the sandbed and lower half of rockwork?

Im running the David Saxby lighting profile at a different schedule. (See image).
B7949B1B-CCFB-410A-ADEA-8593E40EED1C.jpeg

Ive heard a wide range of opinions on this subject from other peoples posts elsewhere, some say yes, some say no... Some say acros and such will survive but not thrive. Some say it'll be alright with the lights cranked fully... Anyway I'd like to hear more specific opnions on my specific tank.

I'll get a picture of my tank for reference on rockwork and such later when i get home from school.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can, yes. However, if I recall correctly the reason for this is the depth of the lighting vs the tank. Red Sea used to have the AI Prime on tanks until they switched it to theirs.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I think it can be done, but you might struggle with finding enough intensity in some spaces and you wont have a even distribution if that makes sense.
Yeah thats basically my understanding. Since the ai prime is basically a spotlight you need lots of them to get anywhere close to an even distribution. This is why my coral wont be evenly distributed... Hopefully that means I'll still have places high up on the rock work with enough PAR to sustain sps.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can, yes. However, if I recall correctly the reason for this is the depth of the lighting vs the tank. Red Sea used to have the AI Prime on tanks until they switched it to theirs.
Yeah i think i remember seeing them using them. Personally i do believe it can work, just as long as you don't have sps om the sandbed or anything like that

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x Primes would be adequate for LPS and softies, but I think you'll struggle to find spots with enough PAR for SPS other than directly under each light. If you haven't already, watch the BRStv video for the Prime 16HD. They use it over multiple tanks, including a 120 (which is basically the same footprint that you have) and offer suggestions on mounting height, etc for best coverage and PAR for different applications.

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using three prime 16hd's on my 22 gallon long aquarium (36x12x12) and for SPS it's enough. If I had used only two, I would have had to be much more careful as to placement even in a tank my size. For your footprint, three would work for LPS and possibly some SPS placed high atop the rockscape (like you said). It can work, but you will also just have to be extra aware of placement. Here's a link to my build and what it looks like with three primes if you're interested:

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a picture here where ive circled the specific areas i personally believe i could keep sps such as acros (when i get the third light).
4309B4DE-4581-4BD7-925B-8814EF514F61.jpeg

What would my lighting profile end up looking like? Would i need to be running these lights near full power? If someone could give me an example profile that would help. Currently as previously meantioned, im running David Saxby's signature series profile as pictured below.
BAFD7314-C417-4DF0-9A09-BAA60A28EDD9.png

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a picture here where ive circled the specific areas i personally believe i could keep sps such as acros (when i get the third light).
4309B4DE-4581-4BD7-925B-8814EF514F61.jpeg

What would my lighting profile end up looking like? Would i need to be running these lights near full power? If someone could give me an example profile that would help. Currently as previously meantioned, im running David Saxby's signature series profile as pictured below.
BAFD7314-C417-4DF0-9A09-BAA60A28EDD9.png

Watch the BRS video I linked above. It will give you the best understanding of mounting height, spacing and what sort of light levels you'll need to run for what you plan to grow. I'm telling you, even if you don't plan to run their AB+ settings, the video teaches you pretty much everything there is to know about the Prime 16HD.

I run the older Prime HDs with upgraded LED pucks, but I've found that the mounting height, spacing, etc applies perfectly to the older lights as well.

From looking at your picture, I can tell you that you'll need to mount the lights higher and space out the ends more if you want better coverage, and to avoid the spotlight look.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the BRS video I linked above. It will give you the best understanding of mounting height, spacing and what sort of light levels you'll need to run for what you plan to grow. I'm telling you, even if you don't plan to run their AB+ settings, the video teaches you pretty much everything there is to know about the Prime 16HD.

I run the older Prime HDs with upgraded LED pucks, but I've found that the mounting height, spacing, etc applies perfectly to the older lights as well.

From looking at your picture, I can tell you that you'll need to mount the lights higher and space out the ends more if you want better coverage, and to avoid the spotlight look.
thanks for this recommendation. I didn't see your last post somehow... I've set the lights up higher now, they were at about 8.5 inches, now they're at 9 inches and I'm getting better spread although I'm going to have a look at that BRS video asap. I also moved the right side one about an inch further out.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s enough for sps to grow fast

Will be good for lps
yeah im unsure. i would have thought they could grow them just as long as the sps is placed strategically basically under each light, quite high up. Hence how my rock work is designed in three separate parts, each light almost directly centred above each rock with high up parts (minus the rock on the right, although it may be getting some additional rock work over there soon).

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
yeah im unsure. i would have thought they could grow them just as long as the sps is placed strategically basically under each light, quite high up. Hence how my rock work is designed in three separate parts, each light almost directly centred above each rock with high up parts (minus the rock on the right, although it may be getting some additional rock work over there soon).
Ai is good quality I think if you max it out you’ll be fine. I had good experience with the 32hd in the prior setup

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai is good quality I think if you max it out you’ll be fine. I had good experience with the 32hd in the prior setup
yes that does basically align with my thoughts. i think the LED puck inside the prime 16hd is the same as the hydra 32 and 64, they just have more of them which is why they get so much better spread and therefore better par in areas around the spotlight...

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running 5 on my 180, and that was enough light for most. A couple SPS weren't thriving but everything was growing okay.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three 16hds will be fine to grow a few less demanding SPS and easier Acros (PC rainbow and whatnot.) You'll want to up the power on all of them, probably near 80-90%. Fast forward a year and you'll almost certainly start to experience shading issues with the puck profile though. Will likely need to buy two more to reduce shading from coral growth.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider putting them in an aquatic life hybrid t5 system.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back