Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok back to the topic at hand.

@jordon1050064

Do a large water change.

Get some water moving up top for oxygen exchange.

Hit up Facebook, reef club forums in your area and try to find a new home for the shark.

Being as it is 11:40ish probably not going to find a home tonight, but get the word out that you have a shark to rehome.

Dont be ashamed you were mislead and be honest about not having proper knowledge. It may help show the sense of urgency that the shark needs to be rehomed.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point we just are trying to get him to return the animal to a proper home, because one of the most important things is knowing when you can't handle something and trying to find a proper home for it. When two tangs are fighting to the death and its clear, one needs to be rehomed. In this case, from the very first post it was clear as day that this animal needed to be rehomed immediately. That is the learning process - but do it before letting the animal die.
I posted this for the OP, I hope he uses it.
It truly is the only chance this thing lives, no amount of water changes are going to keep an incredibly difficult to care for animal that already isn't eating alive.
I understand why your frustrated to this point. I love animals dude they are innocent in all this. But four or five people telling him to give the fish back doesn’t aid his confusion. We need to explain it on his level of understanding. That way I know the fish is actually going back instead of him sheltering off and listening to anymore of his buddy’s advise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rather rare to find three people in one thread that win the coveted and highly prized Ignore award...good job you know who you are. To Frank's crew good job providing guidance and advice to someone who seems to want to do the right thing.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jordan there is great info on BRS 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. Those videos go really in depth about what it takes to manage a reef. Start to finish.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jordon, I may have missed it but did you mention where you got the shark from? You keep mentioning Petco is that where you got it from? I was not aware they sold sharks or did I miss who sold it to you ?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jordon, I may have missed it but did you mention where you got the shark from? You keep mentioning Petco is that where you got it from? I was not aware they sold sharks or did I miss who sold it to you ?
I think he said it came from his friend. I am not sure if that would be the best place for it.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zeal @blaxsun I’ve read through the previous threads, and from a new person perspective it’s not obvious at all what the proper advice was, there was lots of differing opinions. Which is why I finally posted after reading many threads and see bad advice or just bashing.

Not everyone is on the same level, and you need to assume good faith and be clear and restate things. With so many people responding, threads can become confusing quickly. Also keep in mind, sometimes people can be embarrassed they made mistakes. Making them further embarrassed helps no one, we’re all human.

Reef2Reef is a friendly place. In my opinion it’s one of the most positive online forums I’ve experienced. And that means treating people with respect and assuming good faith. @revhtree is pretty clear that name calling and behavior as you’ve been engaging in isn’t acceptable.

In this case Jordan is going to do the right thing and is trying to listen, even if it took a lot of back and forth.

If a poster doesn’t, then name calling only makes this a negative environment. Just give the best advice you can, and leave. If someone really is a jerk, calling them names isn’t going to change their mind, and in this case when someone’s confused it just makes them not trust the forum or other users.

Last edited:

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zeal @blaxsun I’ve read through the previous threads, and from a new person perspective it’s not obvious at all what the proper advice was, there was lots of differing opinions. Which is why I finally posted after reading many threads and see bad advice or just bashing.

Not everyone is on the same level, and you need to assume good faith and be clear and restate things. With so many people responding, threads can become confusing quickly. Also keep in mind, sometimes people can be embarrassed they made mistakes. Making them further embarrassed helps no one, we’re all human.

Reef2Reef is a friendly place. In my opinion it’s one of the most positive online forums I’ve experienced. And that means treating people with respect and assuming good faith. @revtree is pretty clear that name calling and behavior as you’ve been engaging in isn’t acceptable.

In this case Jordan is going to do the right thing and is trying to listen, even if it took a lot of back and forth.

If a poster doesn’t, then name calling only makes this a negative environment. Just give the best advice you can, and leave. If someone really is a jerk, calling them names isn’t going to change their mind, and in this case when someone’s confused it just makes them not trust the forum or other users.
I like you

OP
OP
J

Jordan1050064

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no I didn’t get it from petco just petco is the only fish store in my area

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes they’re related. But no one said in a clear, helpful, positive, polite manner why the shark should be rehomed. It wasn’t clear in earlier threads the tank was not cycled, and just inexperience alone doesn’t mean someone can’t adapt and learn and do the right thing.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zeal @blaxsun I’ve read through the previous threads, and from a new person perspective it’s not obvious at all what the proper advice was, there was lots of differing opinions.
4th post in on the very first article. And 5th post, 6th post, 10th post, 11th post...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no I didn’t get it from petco just petco is the only fish store in my area
Ok. You now what to do to reduce ammonia. Do that and then start hammering away on finding the shark a new home. There is probably someone who can take it, just got to get the word out.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they’re related. But no one said in a clear, helpful, positive, polite manner why the shark should be rehomed. It wasn’t clear in earlier threads the tank was not cycled, and just inexperience alone doesn’t mean someone can’t adapt and learn and do the right thing.
I don't want to get into this as I merely want to see the animal rehomed, but from the first posting it was abundantly clear this tank was not ready by any means. There was a plastic sponge bob house in the middle of it.
With that being said, I agree that things should have been communicated to him in a more peaceful and understanding way. I wont say I feel much differently and would tend to agree that this is up there with animal abuse. But I am at fault for making it more difficult for him to understand as well I apologize to OP for this, we have no idea what his friend has told him.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh.... who amongst us has not bought an animal for our tanks and not had it pass away in our care... we were all new reefers at some point. I refuse to believe that everyone here that has more opinions than help has a 100% track record of keeping everything alive...

Threads like these make me disappointed in this community. Or rather parts of it. There is no place for ego's, no place for shaming, bullying, or insulting.

The everyone gets a trophy thing... its not even remotely close. It's about having some common decency in the face of adversity and lifting each other up rather than breaking them down.

Shame on those of you that are not helping. The future of responsible reefing is in the help you provide... good advice was given. No matter the circumstances with the information that was given. As more information was given, the conversation turned towards rehoming and saving this creature.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3rd post in the original thread. And I quote:
You'll be asked for tank size, age and parameters so you might as well list them for everyone. It will help get you started especially with these being your first posts.
4th post in the original thread:
First of all, you have the wrong type of tank for a shark. It's a rectangle...did you research before getting a shark?
10th post in the original thread:
Please go buy a giant tub from Home Depot that is circular if you plan to keep , sharks don’t do corner tanks as other have mentioned. You can also go buy a pool and have him live there. Even a kiddie pool for now would be better
11th post in the original thread:
Says the shark is doing fine in a thread he started about the shark not doing fine.

Let me ask you something, did you start this thread just to show you have a shark? Cause if you did, could have just shown it.

But I'll tell you what, since you know so much already that the shark is doing fine in your small tanks (too small for a shark) don't ask anything in the future when it's looking grim. You've already been warned it's gonna have problems, and you keeping it is purposely not taking the animals health into consideration.
There are too many helpful posts to list on the second and subsequent pages, but if you read through most of them you'll note that the tone was initially helpful, but OP didn't exactly react well or acknowledge his mistakes until much later on in the thread.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I love my cafe people, even @Lost in the Sauce for tagging me along. And all the people actually being helpful ….
To the rest of you *raspberry noise*

@Jordan1050064 I’ll be back to check on you in the morning. Ignore the people who are being mean and unhelpful. Click their name hit ignore problem solved

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3rd post in the original thread. And I quote:

4th post in the original thread:

10th post in the original thread:

11th post in the original thread:

There are too many helpful posts to list on the second and subsequent pages, but if you read through most of them you'll note that the tone was initially helpful, but OP didn't exactly react well or acknowledge his mistakes until much later on in the thread.

He mentioned that he was going to rehome the shark into a larger tank later. He mentioned that in earlier threads. It was clear he was learning and asking for help, and responded to people suggestions on rounded tanks.

It wasn’t clear until recently the tank had ammonia problems require an immediate rehome.

Just because someone has plastic aquarium stuff doesn’t mean they can’t learn or adapt. And he’s been asking questions and responding positively except when people get mean, rude or confusing.

Do you think you should walk into a high school and berate all the students because they don’t understand calculus the first time you tell them? It’s a process of learning.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I love my cafe people, even @Lost in the Sauce for tagging me along. And all the people actually being helpful ….
To the rest of you *raspberry noise*

@Jordan1050064 I’ll be back to check on you in the morning. Ignore the people who are being mean and unhelpful. Click their name hit ignore problem solved
I would not hit the ignore button for anyone because even those people may have experience or info you may need just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back