Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Under Construction **

Tank: Waterbox Mini Peninsula 25
Return Pump: Syncra Silent 1.0 Pump (251 GPH)
Rock: Branch LifeRock Dry Live Rock - CaribSea
LR: AquaBiomics: Live Reef Rubble
Salt: Tropic Marin Pro
UV: Aqua Ultraviolet 8-Watt Advantage 2000 w/ Syncra 1.5
COVER: Kraken Reer w/ feed hole

InTank Drop in Chamber:
Filter Floss
Bio-Lux Ceramic Bio Media
Reef Rubble

Tools:
Hanna Marine Salinity Tester
Alkalinity DKH Colorimeter HI772 Hanna Checker
IM Gourmet Feeder (sucks, perhaps I'm not using it correct. I use it as a feeding ring)

Fish:
1 Black Ice Snowflake
1 Royal Gramma
1 Starcki Damsel

Inverts:
6 5 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
4 Asteria Snails
1 Emerald Crab
, 1 Top Crown Snails
4 Trochus snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Coral:
Halle Berry Zoa Zoanthus sp
JF BRAIN STORM GONIASTREA Goniastrea sp
JF BUBBLICIOUS PALYS Palythoa sp var var
JF FUNKY TOWN FAVIA Favia sp
JF MASS DESTRUCTION FAVIA Favites spp
JF MOHICAN SUNS Zoanthus sp var
JF RAINBOW STYLO Stylophora spp
King Midas Zoanthid sp
LA Lakers Zoas Zoanthus sp var
OG Gobstopper Zoanthid sp
Pearl Jam Zoa Zoanthid sp
RRC SPICY LEMON FAVIA Favia sp
Red Mouth Ricordea Mushroom Ricordea florida
Scrambled Eggs Zoa Zoanthid sp var
Stargazer Combo Zoanthus sp
Torch Coral Euphyllia glabrescens
UC Agent Orange Bubble Ricordea FL Ricordea florida
UC Blue Polka Dot Bikini Monti Montipora capricornis
UC Golden Dragon Lepto Leptoseris sp
UC Senorita Blasto Blastomussa wellsi
WWC JINGLE BELLS CYPHASTREA Cyphastrea sp var
JPEG image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving Post #1 alone so I can use that as my journal.

I am building an office in my basement. This was a single thin but long boiler room which will now be cut in half. Mechanical room and office. I will be building a water mixing station (small) in the boiler room, shame I couldn't have this directly across the wall but there is a hot water heater there.

I think the water tanks (fresh and salt) will be about 18' ( +/- 3') from the wall. I will use the fresh tank as a ATO tank. Wonder if I can do a gravity ATO, will have to see as its an AIO not sure if I have the space. I plan on also using this space as designated area to dose. I will have a "raceway" from this room into my "wire cabinet" (think of a recessed medicine cabinet) for my tank.

The "wire cab" aka medicine cabinet (drawn in red).
I am having them build an recessed cab that will have 2 GFI outlets inside. One is shared with a freezer chest and the 2nd is a homerun direct to the panel. This will allow the tank to still have electric if one of the breakers trip. I'll try and split life support items among both outlets. I will have the cab face/door/panel come completely off to make it easier to work inside. As mentioned before there will be a PVC tube from this box going left to the boiler room and down towards the tank.

The display tank: Waterbox Mini Peninsula 25. (shelf drawn in green)
Setting this up on a floating shelf. I'll have some room between the shelf and a desk below and above to the left will be the wire cab. I will have a pvc tube leading from the back sump going up to the wire cab allowing me to hide wires and tubes.

I'll list more equipment later on. But for now I do have a question.
1. Is there anything I should have done now while the walls are open?
2. An idea is to have a tube go to the outside to connect to a skimmer if I ever wanted to get fresh air. If this is something I should do what should I tell the contractor? I don't want some tube hanging off the side of the wall, and how do I deal with bugs?

IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2320.jpg

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the partition (wall) is up and they made the wire cab. It has both outlets and on each side and is 8” deep. Should be perfect for wires and such.

Attachments

• 7D3D49B5-325C-4E47-B2EF-2A8637E61AB9.jpeg
    7D3D49B5-325C-4E47-B2EF-2A8637E61AB9.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 2E9BD906-44C4-4C5D-9752-EC1DEB7A5B80.jpeg
    2E9BD906-44C4-4C5D-9752-EC1DEB7A5B80.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 0B333782-994E-4AAC-901A-E8F8D771F03A.jpeg
    0B333782-994E-4AAC-901A-E8F8D771F03A.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any ventilation duct from the outside into your room there the skimmer is? If it so - take the air from that

Sincerely Lasse
I may have two options.
1) the old exhaust where the hot water heater would vent to or
2) there is a clean out for the fireplace

both are in the boiler room less than 10’ run to the tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the fireplace :D

If the vent is in the direction out - you must have a tube going inside the ventilation duct to the outside - otherwise you get the room air to the skimmer. If the constructor not have install any of the vent ducts yet - can´t yo ask him/her to mount a 1" PVC pipe along (and on the outside) of the duct?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the fireplace :D

If the vent is in the direction out - you must have a tube going inside the ventilation duct to the outside - otherwise you get the room air to the skimmer. If the constructor not have install any of the vent ducts yet - can´t yo ask him/her to mount a 1" PVC pipe along (and on the outside) of the duct?

Sincerely Lasse
I think I may have access to outside air. Silly question the tube that would connect to the skimmer is how wide? Is it like air-tubbing or RODI line? The skimmer if/when would be small, remember the tank is a 23 gallon AIO

Would a garden hose be a good "pvc pipe" replacement to use to slide the Skimmer tube to the outside?

Thanks Lasse!

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they say this hobby will teach you patience and I've been waiting a bit.

Water Mixing station, green wall ready for a plywood panel to attach RODI units... Fingers crossed May 1st the tank gets wet.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 150
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the mixing station is complete. I bought two 27 Gal totes FW on top and SW below. I added a float switch, a cut-off switch, added clamps below the shelves incase it slips.

I am using the pump that came with the WB Mini Pen 25 to mix the salt.

First (of many) silly question, should I use 1.024 OR 33.00 ppt (or is it 34 at 78*?) to measure salinity?
**EDIT** seems I am reading many have it at 1.026 or 35ppt.
** EDIT EDIT** I now have it set to 34.6ppt as @Lasse has recommended.

I have a Hanna Salinity Tester. I may just keep it at PPT and stick with 35, seems easy enough.

Thanks in advance!

Image.jpeg Image-1.jpeg Image-2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to seed and begin the tank! I'm waiting to order this product from AquaBiomics:
https://aquabiomics.com/product/live-reef-rubble

My plan of action is as follows:
1. Order rubble and begin to start my tank
2. Seed tank with Dr. Tim's One and Only following their instructions
3. Add rubble when it arrives.
4. Use Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride as food source

Questions:
1. Do i need the lights on with the Live Reef Rubble?
2. Will the Ammonium Chloride be substantial food source for the Live Reef Rubble?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

<tag> @AquaBiomics

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With life reef ruble I would not use any chemical ammonium. I would start like I have describe in this article

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Lasse as always thank you for your input and wisdom. I read it once so far, only 3 more times before I am ready to pull the trigger.

I must admit, I'm a bit nervous to get fish so soon. I thought I was gong to have a few months of an empty tank of water :)

Please stay close @Lasse :) and thank you again!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The secret with this 15 step is to really feed as I describe - it will give a smooth transformation of the nitrification process. it is the fish that produce your start concentrations of NH3/NH4 (ammoniac/ammonium) and its release of these nitrogen species is corelated to the feeding regime in a linear way. With this method - you will not end up with a high NO3 level after the start as you do if you dose pure chemical ammonia as described at R2R in too many threads (IMO). But in the end, it is the method you feel comfortable with that should be your choice. Both works.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I am discussing a fish list right now as the tank is still dry....

I really would like a well-balanced mixed reef. It's a small tank found here WB MP 25

Going bare bottom, with a "tree" like rockscape I am wondering what would be a good list. The only real fish I want 100% is a clown (single or pair). The other fish are up for discussion. I would like a clam at some point as well.

Would a pair of clownfish be too much with some other nano, utilitarian fish? If so I will start with a single clown.

IMG_2198.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse Looking to begin this journey with you sir.
5) Introduce a healthy, well fed, lively fish that is not shy.
I am looking to purchase my fish at LiveAquaria due to the fact that they QT their fish and I do not have that option at home right now. Would it be ok to begin with two clowns? (23 gallon AIO) Kinda loving these guys here: Mated Pair of Clowns

6) Add some nitrifying bacteria every day for three weeks or inoculate with detritus from an already functioning aquarium every day.
I already bought and own Dr. Tim's One and Only, Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride (which you said not to use and will listen to you) as well as Dr. Tim's First Defense. Is this OK? Do you have recommendations on which one and amounts to dose? OR follow your recommendation: 20 ml per 100 liters/day. Also, please note that I will buying the AquaBiomics as mentioned above. Told they may have it ready 2nd week of June.

If these products are not sufficient, could you please suggest?

7) Feed extremely sparingly at the beginning. I usually only use frozen large brine shrimp for the first 3 weeks and only give three to four shrimp per fish.
No problem, is this ok: Petco if not, please recommend one.

9) Introduce the Clean Up Crew (CUC) around days 3 - 4 and as many different species of snails and hermits you can find.
LiveAquaria offers a bundle pack or I can pick and choose: here
Will you suggest a good mix for my bare bottom please?

10) Add some nitrates around day 5--just a few ppm. Get potassium or sodium nitrate. Add 40 grams to 460 grams of water. Dissolve 1 ml of this solution per 100 liters of water. This solution raises NO3 by about 0.5 ppm. Target: about 3 ppm.
Is there a particular product you could recommend?

I think I have bothered you enough :) so I will wait on the other points in a few weeks. :) Again, thank you very much for your time!

Gaspare

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back