Beginner 20g Reef Tank Stocking Idea

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to the saltwater hobby and have some questions on appropriate stocking for a potential 20g tank my dad and I are planning on keeping together.

FISH - added gradually over a few weeks, in no particular order
  • 2 ocellaris clowns
  • 1 neon goby OR a firefish
  • 2 cardinalfish
  • Potentially a royal gramma? I would love input on if they are good in a smaller tank.
CUC - added gradually

• 5 hermit crabs with 10 empty shells
  • 3-5 astrea snails
  • 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
  • Potentially a brittle star? Again, not sure if they can be housed appropriately in this size tank.

We are also planning on keeping some soft corals such as Xenias, GSP, and zoas along with (potentially) some beginner-friendly LPS later on under a NiCrew 50w reef light or a Fluval Sea 20w nano light. I'm not sure which one would work better for a tank a maximum of 18 inches deep.

Thanks in advance!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the clowns in a 20g. They can be territorial in a small tank. The rest is fine.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g, my first reef tank, and I only have clowns and corals. Clowns are fine in a 20g, mine never move more than 4 inches from their cave, but I would add them last. If you are keen on getting the cardinals and/or fire/neon goby, add those first, because they are not aggressive and the clowns would bully them more if you introduced them last. (Give the "weaker" fish time to establish their territory, then add the clowns so they know what places are taken).
In my CUC I had a shrimp, he died but I loved him, so yes get one of those. I would probably recommend either more snails or hermits, maybe 10 hermits and 5 snails (or other way around).
Brittle star would do fine in a 20g, but if you can find the mini brittle stars get one or two of those, they stay smaller.

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g, my first reef tank, and I only have clowns and corals. Clowns are fine in a 20g, mine never move more than 4 inches from their cave, but I would add them last. If you are keen on getting the cardinals and/or fire/neon goby, add those first, because they are not aggressive and the clowns would bully them more if you introduced them last. (Give the "weaker" fish time to establish their territory, then add the clowns so they know what places are taken).
In my CUC I had a shrimp, he died but I loved him, so yes get one of those. I would probably recommend either more snails or hermits, maybe 10 hermits and 5 snails (or other way around).
Brittle star would do fine in a 20g, but if you can find the mini brittle stars get one or two of those, they stay smaller.
Thanks for your input! I think I've decided going to stick with 3-4 easier fish for this tank + a cuc. I was planning on maybe doing a royal gramma, a clown or maybe a pair of them, a firefish or goby, and if I can find a pink-streaked or possum wrasse I would probably swap a clown out for one of them.

And how big do "normal" brittle stars grow?

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the clowns in a 20g. They can be territorial in a small tank. The rest is fine.
I've heard they make good nano fish. I think I'm going to remove the cardinals and try to stick to fewer fish. Does that change any aggression potential? I'm aware they are in the damsel family and if I added them they would come last.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less fish would help

flyguy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate brittle stars! I’ve had em eat fish, I would do a banded serpent star if you really want one.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input! I think I've decided going to stick with 3-4 easier fish for this tank + a cuc. I was planning on maybe doing a royal gramma, a clown or maybe a pair of them, a firefish or goby, and if I can find a pink-streaked or possum wrasse I would probably swap a clown out for one of them.

And how big do "normal" brittle stars grow?
I know the actual body will get from about 1.5-3 inches, and the arms are usually triple the size. So it could work, as long as you have enough space available. They also like to hide in crevices.
I dont have one but I've heard the possum wrasses are excellent fish, wish I could find one for sale in Canada somewhere.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back