Beginner reef tank

srappaport7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I have had many FOWLR setups over the years but am now considering my first reef tank. I currently have a 54 gal corner FOWLR setup that I would like to leave as is but am considering a new 54 gal corner for the other side of the room and would like to do corals, anenome, etc. as I have never had these before just looking for any tip, ideas, recommendations on more beginner corals, etc.
thanks for the input and help!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
srappaport7

srappaport7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The biggest difference for me was the additional key parameters that are vital for corals as well as the additional lighting required.
Yeah I think the parameters have always been my biggest concern and of course just the added expense of things like lighting and such.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I have had many FOWLR setups over the years but am now considering my first reef tank. I currently have a 54 gal corner FOWLR setup that I would like to leave as is but am considering a new 54 gal corner for the other side of the room and would like to do corals, anenome, etc. as I have never had these before just looking for any tip, ideas, recommendations on more beginner corals, etc.
Welcome! dont know where in ny, but NYC has many resources for corals and used supplies to help get started for cheaper. First off do you have an rodi filter or access to rodi or distilled water? I had a bit of a struggle on long island keeping corals in tap when i first started out

OP
OP
srappaport7

srappaport7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! dont know where in ny, but NYC has many resources for corals and used supplies to help get started for cheaper. First off do you have an rodi filter or access to rodi or distilled water? I had a bit of a struggle on long island keeping corals in tap when i first started out
If/when I get this tank up and running I will be investing in an rodi filter and I am on Long Island as well. Never had issues with FOWLR setups without the rodi but would assume it’s necessary when keeping corals being more delicate

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all!
Advice: take it slow so you don't kill a bunch of corals and anemones by adding everything too fast too early and then throw your tank through the window and quit.

Welcome to the addiction!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back