berghia nudibranch Eggs experience

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all just wondering if anyone got any experience on here in buying and raising aptasia eating berghia nudibranch Eggs to deal with Aiptasia control, my display is free of aips but I want to deal with the ones on the weir and in the sump. And am definitely not sending my CP in there as is thigh as hell :rolleyes:

mainly looking to watch to expect and how long it takes to hatch in general

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you could buy Berghia Eggs. Are they sold by some seller that has beghia that have laid eggs.

I got mine as adults, and maybe you know, there is nothing better than Beghia to rid your tank of Aptasia.
I have copperbands and they may keep aptasia under control. I actually lost a copperband in one DT (110G, 55 G sump) and that's when I had an aptasia outbreak and got 5 Berghia Adults. It was a plage. Aptrasia absolutely everywhere. Horrible looking.

I had The Berghia in my sump refuge. Made a grill so they couldn't escape, with hope that they would mate and lay eggs.

They polished off all the Aptasia in the refuge in about 8 weeks, and I thought they died.

Then one lucky night I was peeking into my tank during Darkness, and there was one Berghia.
It escaped from my sealed refuge. Somehow travelled to thru my return pump to DT, or backward down overflow plumbing.

Few weeks later, not only was my whole DT Aptasia free, so was my sump.
I guess all 5 got escaped, or that one had a big appetite for Aptasia.
Whoever it was, Berghia found every aptasia in nooks and crannies, plumbling, EVERYWHERE!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you could buy Berghia Eggs. Are they sold by some seller that has beghia that have laid eggs.

I got mine as adults, and maybe you know, there is nothing better than Beghia to rid your tank of Aptasia.
I have copperbands and they may keep aptasia under control. I actually lost a copperband in one DT and that's when I had an aptasia outbreak and got 5 Berghia Adults.

I had them in my sump refuge. Made a grill so they couldn't escape, with hope that they would mate and lay eggs.

They polished off all the Aptasia in the refuge in about 8 weeks, and I thought they died.

Then one lucky night I was peeking into my tank during Darkness, and there was one Berghia.
It escaped from my sealed refuge. Somehow travelled to thru my return pump to DT, or backward down overflow plumbing.

Few weeks later, not only was my whole DT Aptasia free, so was my sump.
I guess all 5 got escaped, or that one had a big appetite for Aptasia.
The seller I got it from only sells eggs, he claims that all eggs go through a microscope before being dispatched. I believe it makes it more sustainable as they not raising all the eggs to adults needing a vast amount of aips. To me is also economic as it’s far cheaper than the standard adult if it works. I do have a CB on the DT but there’s 3 big ones that she never touched only the baby aips. But my weir and sup is getting out of control

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller I got it from only sells eggs, he claims that all eggs go through a microscope before being dispatched. I believe it makes it more sustainable as they not raising all the eggs to adults needing a vast amount of aips. To me is also economic as it’s far cheaper than the standard adult if it works. I do have a CB on the DT but there’s 3 big ones that she never touched only the baby aips. But my weir and sup is getting out of control
The Adult Berghia will eat Monster Aptasia. I took before and after photos aptasia cover rocks. Big Aips gone overnight.\
They must smell aptasia since they found every bit. Amazing.
You can't go wrong, if you can get eggs to survive.
Good luck.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. They Guy that sold me the Adults, said if I get eggs. 14 days to adult. Something like that. I was stunned (at how fast) and hopeful to get eggs to handle my Big Aip Problem, thinking 5 adults wouldn't be enough,

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. They Guy that sold me the Adults, said if I get eggs. 14 days to adult. Something like that. I was stunned (at how fast) and hopeful to get eggs to handle my Big Aip Problem, thinking 5 adults wouldn't be enough,
That’s cool if they survive am probably looking at 30 days total to get rid of them

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of trying to find eggs also. I dont like putting anything in my tank I cant QT. Can you share where you got them ?

mines are from fleabay uk, but am sure someone will be doing it in the US also

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. How many eggs did you get?
Am curious myself, it was posted today so probably here tomorrow or Monday, he send me this pic today. Will try and add a pic once I get it through the post.

20D996FA-B9BC-4B28-BB30-F99159132928.png

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some eggs today, delivery was late by 4-5 days, totally understandable considering our current situation, nevertheless the eggs got here well there was quite a few already hatched, the only way to describe them was as little white spot speckles.

1D70EE8A-08BF-489F-8EF6-587A9482407E.jpeg
63854415-8D78-479F-951A-71B5DE5794DC.jpeg
0E58B545-3ADD-4AB1-8755-7FA32F5CD60C.jpeg

they have recommended me to just place the eggs in a hole in the rockwork, obviously am not going to do that as for what I’ve read this eggs do lovely snacks for amphipods.
instead am learning them in a small container plumbed to the main tank with an airline to keep water parameters in check and ammonia out.

0167B738-620C-4A81-BD83-E9FF641F7357.jpeg
2F79B977-628C-4AA3-AC71-65DDCA8E46D2.jpeg

I’ve dropped two aips in there to to get them going, even though I’ve read that they only start eating on the second week. now is just the waiting game...

1DD591F2-B515-4047-8126-1BE404D412EF.jpeg 0EE0DD73-8F31-4184-AA0E-F072BBCA912B.jpeg 74566CC0-D94F-4139-ADD2-BE07318615D5.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool !!!

That looks like a TON of eggs. Will be interesting how many make it to maturity.

Keep us posted......This is quite exciting.

thsnks @WallyB, I was impressed myself that he had sent the hole egg pouch. I don’t have a bad aip issue so will be happy with a few surviving to adults, if they do it can be a quite cost effective way to deal with aips.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thsnks @WallyB, I was impressed myself that he had sent the hole egg pouch. I don’t have a bad aip issue so will be happy with a few surviving to adults, if they do it can be a quite cost effective way to deal with aips.
I think you did the right thing, and kept isolated in a container. So you can monitor progress.

What I will tell you if I already haven't, is I put my Adults into a Refuge and special filter to keep them in there.
They all escape after a while since they are in my DT now (somewhere).
So it adult escape thru a mesh that I thought was smaller holes than they were....
I figure nothing will stop the tiny babies you have getting out thru water output you have from your container.
Maybe you don't have an output and are just going to heat the container with contact with warm tank/sump water.

However you have a lot of eggs, so as long as most stay in your cointaner you will be able to keep an eye on progress.

Are they moving around at all at this point?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did the right thing, and kept isolated in a container. So you can monitor progress.

What I will tell you if I already haven't, is I put my Adults into a Refuge and special filter to keep them in there.
They all escape after a while since they are in my DT now (somewhere).
So it adult escape thru a mesh that I thought was smaller holes than they were....
I figure nothing will stop the tiny babies you have getting out thru water output you have from your container.
Maybe you don't have an output and are just going to heat the container with contact with warm tank/sump water.

However you have a lot of eggs, so as long as most stay in your cointaner you will be able to keep an eye on progress.

Are they moving around at all at this point?

I’ve improvised the set up last minute :rolleyes: I did tough of using some sort of filter but can’t think of anything that would work with what I got.

this is what I’ve got so far:
8140588A-ED86-436E-91D2-940982EB6580.jpeg

it’s all connected to the main tank with air line to make it easier, ive also got the beginning of the line covered in wool filter to prevent any amphipods to get in.
what do you think about using a third container like in the pic we’re I could inspect if any got away before it makes the sump?
I can’t tell if they moving or not they too small and my vision ain’t what it used to be, do you breed them?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve improvised the set up last minute :rolleyes: I did tough of using some sort of filter but can’t think of anything that would work with what I got.

this is what I’ve got so far:
8140588A-ED86-436E-91D2-940982EB6580.jpeg

it’s all connected to the main tank with air line to make it easier, ive also got the beginning of the line covered in wool filter to prevent any amphipods to get in.
what do you think about using a third container like in the pic we’re I could inspect if any got away before it makes the sump?
I can’t tell if they moving or not they too small and my vision ain’t what it used to be, do you breed them?
I've never breeded Berghia, but I have Copepods (Tigger species), which were probably bigger than your eggs, or future coming berghia babies.
There is no way to contain things that small. Floss won't work (I know I tried it with Adult copepods and they all escaped).

Once your berghia get bigger floss might work. (maybe)

The only way you can contain them (outside amphpods coming in) or ( berghia leaving), is to have a closed system. Just have your container like you have. But now flow, in, or out.
For temp, if you sink your container in sump, it will stay warm.
For oxygen, they probably need very little and much oxygen in the water volume (briefly swish and aerate the water with a vigerous surface water break), but a airstone would be ideal.

However, if what I noticed is true, the Aphasia you put in there may just keep them local, since they will be attacted to it (by scent).

Just suggestions. I am not an berghia expert at all.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never breeded Berghia, but I have Copepods (Tigger species), which were probably bigger than your eggs, or future coming berghia babies.
There is no way to contain things that small. Floss won't work (I know I tried it with Adult copepods and they all escaped).

Once your berghia get bigger floss might work. (maybe)

The only way you can contain them (outside amphpods coming in) or ( berghia leaving), is to have a closed system. Just have your container like you have. But now flow, in, or out.
For temp, if you sink your container in sump, it will stay warm.
For oxygen, they probably need very little and much oxygen in the water volume (briefly swish and aerate the water with a vigerous surface water break), but a airstone would be ideal.

However, if what I noticed is true, the Aphasia you put in there may just keep them local, since they will be attacted to it (by scent).

Just suggestions. I am not an berghia expert at all.

i know what you mean, it’s definitely safer, ive tried it before as an improvised way too keep seahorses baby’s and fails due to amônia spike. You just made me think of an ideas to minimise the little buggers to run away.

D2FD7289-4A7B-425E-850C-9F909BB4DC46.jpeg

I’ve just added this T piece to the end of the last container, the only way for them to leave now is if they crawl on to it. And will be adding the third container to catch any that does escape. Am really keen on the general idea as for what I can read they really sensitive (odd as most Nudibranchs can be a pain to get rid). This is allowing for a full water change every 30 minutes also this way I can feed the aips heavy without worries of amônia build up in both tanks.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I've tried to raise berghia and for one reason or another it never quite works. Good luck!
How far did you raised them, have you got any tips? Not much information on the web, been searching for days on the only good tip I got so far was to keep the aips in the dark to trigger the splitting process.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know what you mean, it’s definitely safer, ive tried it before as an improvised way too keep seahorses baby’s and fails due to amônia spike. You just made me think of an ideas to minimise the little buggers to run away.

D2FD7289-4A7B-425E-850C-9F909BB4DC46.jpeg

I’ve just added this T piece to the end of the last container, the only way for them to leave now is if they crawl on to it. And will be adding the third container to catch any that does escape. Am really keen on the general idea as for what I can read they really sensitive (odd as most Nudibranchs can be a pain to get rid). This is allowing for a full water change every 30 minutes also this way I can feed the aips heavy without worries of amônia build up in both tanks.
That is a great idea. Plus adding extra downstream catch containers (even better).
These guys crawl (not swim) so their escape is a bit more tricky compared to a copepod.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back