Boil Filter Sock?

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been reading about how people clean their filter socks for reuse. Seems that the prefered method is dish washer/ washing machine with a bit of bleach and when needed a dechlorinator. I have also seen powerwashing, but i do not have one.

I was wondering if anyone here just simply rinses thorough/ and then boils the sock. Would this be effective? Risks?

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my socks inside out, rinse well in the sink, soak in 5 gallon bucket of water w/1+ cup of bleach for at least 1 day. (up to two weeks) Then washing machine on HOT, max extra water, with 1/2 cup of bleach. Wash a second time, no bleach. Let air dry.

Of course, I've bought 10 socks, so I can afford to batch them up and let them air dry a few days before putting back into use.

Boiling. that should kill anything alive, but wouldn't oxidize the organics out - right?

Upvote 0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Throw it in the washing machine with a cup of bleach, set for extra rinse and air it outside.

I wash like 30 at a time, with no issues to report and I've been doing it for years.

Sometimes i run the set through 2 cycles and if my wife is kind enough to flip inside-out them between cycles they come out looking like new.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw it in the washing machine with a cup of bleach, set for extra rinse and air it outside.

I wash like 30 at a time, with no issues to report and I've been doing it for years.

Sometimes i run the set through 2 cycles and if my wife is kind enough to flip inside-out them between cycles they come out looking like new.
any specific type of bleach/ washer setting?

Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I wash them as follows;
- tuned inside out
- run a "rinse and spin cycle" - to get ride of residual detergent with out the socks
- Run a "sanitize cycle" with a 1/4 cup bleach with the socks
- run 2 consecutive "rinse and spin" cycles with the socks
- make sure they pass the sniff test
- oh yeah, step one - make sure I can get this done while the wife is out of the house

have 6 socks on line at any time, change 1-1.5X per week - so it adds up

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any specific type of bleach/ washer setting?
Avoid scented bleach and splashless bleach. Not sure if splashless is toxic. There's just an extra ingredient.

What I meant is, not sure is the extra ingredient will be difficult to remove.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid scented bleach and splashless bleach. Not sure if splashless is toxic. There's just an extra ingredient.

What I meant is, not sure is the extra ingredient will be difficult to remove.

I also batch mine.. I have 18 that I run on my tank and wash them when I get down to 2 left (one in the tank, 1 spare)

I run a wash cycle on HOT with no bleach or detergent at all, plain HOT water.

The reason I do not bleach them is tied to the quote from @Mibu . I have read in the past that the ingredient that makes bleach "splashless" is similar to dish soap. Reportedly, It adheres to the socks and creates a soapy foam in the system if not completely removed, which is said to be difficult to do.

Now, reading some reports above, perhaps this is not as big of an issue as I have believed. I feel safer however just not taking that chance. I don't really care if my filter socks have a yellow tinge to them. As long as they do the job I need them to do.

Edit: forgot to mention I also run the wash cycle on "heavy duty" with extra rinse. Gentle spin. Then air dry after washing. I fear the dryer will melt or deform the plastic rings.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use this and some polyfil and never worry about having to wash socks again.

Also wouldnt boiling them melt the sock plastic ring up top

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all my dirty filter socks inm an old salt bucket then rinse them in the washer machine with bleach. I soak them for a little in a bucket of tap water (or waste water from RODI) with some prime just as reassurance.

I have also soaked socks in hydrogen peroxide but the above is easier imo.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been reading about how people clean their filter socks for reuse. Seems that the prefered method is dish washer/ washing machine with a bit of bleach and when needed a dechlorinator. I have also seen powerwashing, but i do not have one.

I was wondering if anyone here just simply rinses thorough/ and then boils the sock. Would this be effective? Risks?
Do you have the means to use a hose sprayer on them? Not an actual pressure washer, just a nozzle. I do this and "power wash" mine on the driveway, then either soak overnight in a bucket with a 1:10 bleach to tap water solution, then let dry, or after hosing them off, do the washing machine/bleach method. The bucket is usually easier for me though.

Upvote 0

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks all that often. But when I do, I just spray them with a high pressure hose nozzle, rinse off in ro, and let air dry. Is it that important to use bleach?

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks all that often. But when I do, I just spray them with a high pressure hose nozzle, rinse off in ro, and let air dry. Is it that important to use bleach?
No, it's not really, unless they were particularly grimy.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not in my experience. Typically my socks sit for at least a week between washing and being placed back in service. This is why I wash them when I have 2 left. The day I place the 2nd to last one in the system, I wash the dirty ones. They have a week to 10 days of sitting and drying out before going back online. Between the wash cycle and the drying time, anything harmful should be inert. It has worked so far...

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the means to use a hose sprayer on them? Not an actual pressure washer, just a nozzle. I do this and "power wash" mine on the driveway, then either soak overnight in a bucket with a 1:10 bleach to tap water solution, then let dry, or after hosing them off, do the washing machine/bleach method. The bucket is usually easier for me though.

Like this???

I love this thing.. works awesome for cleaning the solar panels on the roof as well as anything I need high pressure to get clean. Never tried it on my filter socks or sponges.. maybe a tad intense, but I bet it would do the job!!

Upvote 0

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this???

I love this thing.. works awesome for cleaning the solar panels on the roof as well as anything I need high pressure to get clean. Never tried it on my filter socks or sponges.. maybe a tad intense, but I bet it would do the job!!

That's what I use. Back patio with that nozzle. Brute lid to put socks in. I've found that the washer trashes my filter socks no matter the setting. They last forever using the hose. Rinse in rodi and ready to go.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Boiling of no advantage and may even warp plastic ring and ruin the fit of the sock.
i dont have to add as others are correct in simple rinsing and turning it inside out OR machine wash which I did.
I went to nylon mesh and you can literally wash/rinse by hand in under two minutes

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back