Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer sucks, I don't run gfo or anything to keep phospahtes or nitrates low. I ran into dino because of that. Dino sucks, I lost loads of corals and inverts. What I did was add phospahtes. Now I grow microalgea and let my cleanup crews destory it. Reason my seahare shreck has doubled in size. It never runs out of food. I'm ok with seeing ha and other microalgea. To me it means my tank is healthy. Just another way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer sucks, I don't run gfo or anything to keep phospahtes or nitrates low ran into dino. That sucked I lost loads of corals and inverts. What I did was add phospahtes. Now I grow microalgea and let my cleanup crews destory it. Reason my seahare shreck has doubled in size. It never runs out of food. I'm ok with seeing ha and other microalgea. To me it means my tank is healthy. Just another way to skin a cat.
same. I only run carbon for the reason that my leathers will kill my lps

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know chaeto isn't modern, I was using it first in middle school. what I'm saying is modern reef keeping methodology is moving in a direction that is not conducive to keeping chaeto healthy, and more and more I'm seeing people having problems from chaeto itself not being maintained.

Ah. I see.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishyfishyfishy can attest to bottoming out po4 and no3. His tank is doing much better and is the midst of a great ha outbreak.

Sorry to drag you into this monster. You'll find this is one awesome thread, wealth of knowledge and all around great people.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know chaeto isn't modern, I was using it first in middle school. what I'm saying is modern reef keeping methodology is moving in a direction that is not conducive to keeping chaeto healthy, and more and more I'm seeing people having problems from chaeto itself not being maintained.
I'm a big fan of running chaeto (although I don't have any right now) but I agree with everything you wrote. I understand the need to supplement trace nutrients in order to properly utilize chaeto. The more you grow, the more supplementing you need to do. When I do run chaeto, my 20% water changes a month cannot keep up with it's trace element demand. Especially iron. Most salts that I have seen testing on don't have elevated trace elements in the same way the "pro" salts have elevated alk and calc.

I do think you touched on but glossed over a major potential issue with chaeto.
This is one of the things chaeto is GREAT for. It eats metals like I eat cheesecake. This will prevent, or at least slow, the build up and deposit of unwanted heavy metals in your tank.
If you have a big ball of chaeto (or other macro algae) and it "melts" then these heavy metals and other contaminants algae absorbs will get released back into the tank at potentially toxic levels. I tell people that if it stops growing to pull all but a small amount to help minimize this impact. I'm convinced this has caused more than one tank to be wiped, by either purposely killing nuisance algae or not properly maintaining a refugium.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of running chaeto (although I don't have any right now) but I agree with everything you wrote. I understand the need to supplement trace nutrients in order to properly utilize chaeto. The more you grow, the more supplementing you need to do. When I do run chaeto, my 20% water changes a month cannot keep up with it's trace element demand. Especially iron. Most salts that I have seen testing on don't have elevated trace elements in the same way the "pro" salts have elevated alk and calc.

I do think you touched on but glossed over a major potential issue with chaeto.

If you have a big ball of chaeto (or other macro algae) and it "melts" then these heavy metals and other contaminants algae absorbs will get released back into the tank at potentially toxic levels. I tell people that if it stops growing to pull all but a small amount to help minimize this impact. I'm convinced this has caused more than one tank to be wiped, by either purposely killing nuisance algae or not properly maintaining a refugium.
Can I quote the last part of cheato as well

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I quote the last part of cheato as well
Well... it's Katrina's thread so I guess she owns the copyright now...

But I don't mind if you use it! ;)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie I applaud your explanation. However, chaeto is not modern. I personally have been using macro algae either in a refugium with sand, rock, etc. or just by itself in a ball for over 20 years.

I have never understood why folks have trouble growing it. I never have. (I probably won't be able ever grow it again now that I said that)

Like I have said before, you can watch your tank inhabitants and know what to do if you have been doing this a while.

It boils down to more or less feedings, more or less skimming and more or less light with all the reefs I have ever helped to maintain.

Now, this may be just me. There may not be another person on the planet who agrees. But, I have to go with 30 years of doing this stuff.

I probably will never run without Chaeto.

My skimmer sucks, I don't run gfo or anything to keep phospahtes or nitrates low ran into dino. That sucked I lost loads of corals and inverts. What I did was add phospahtes. Now I grow microalgea and let my cleanup crews destory it. Reason my seahare shreck has doubled in size. It never runs out of food. I'm ok with seeing ha and other microalgea. To me it means my tank is healthy. Just another way to skin a cat.

I love cats, I say that slightly differently!
I dose and top up manually, 2 returns, 2 heaters and 3 powerheads.
No water changes.
Because they said I couldn't do this! ;)

DSC_0002 (2) (1024x698).jpg

DSC_0004 (2) (1024x721).jpg

DSC_0004 (2) (1024x721).jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm going to explain my thoughts on Chaeto and Macro algaes in general. It's a broad topic, and I hate talking about it, because the complexities are based around an individuals tank, their maintenence habits, their ability and willingness to maintain their macro algaes, and how many modern reefing methodologies grate against what is necessary to keep chaeto happy and thriving. @Katrina71 I will never forgive you for making me write this much lol
this is getting quite serious;Hilarious:p;Blackeye
And for the record I am considering pulling my cheater and going back to Live Rock rubble in the sump and MP, I believe all the growth in the fuge is flooding my system with phosphate and stripping all the nitrates
SO on that Note AND to Commemorate 500 plus pages, (drum roll emoji) A satirical Parody of this historical day:p

TO REFUSE REFUGE OR TO CONTINUE CURRENT FLOW & INFLUX OF DETRITOUS

ReFuge is a Hot topic in our Current Society.

To choose between a Natural Solution or a Man Made one is even more controversial.

The long standing practice of using Stone formations for a natural buffering zone to hold our system in check has proven that some areas need reinforcing. System resources in some cases, that is best utilized by those that were chosen, carefully selected and quarantined to enter our system are seeing a reduction of those resources. The insurgence of negative elements is reducing the good and beneficial from populating and creating a balanced environment.

The long and still current use of Stone and Rock has proven effective and can form a strong defense but there are areas where this has proven ineffective at a complete reduction. It is not a Catch-All.

The purist feel that manufactured replacements needed to be just as effective. Materials need to be made in a manner to facilitate construction and ease of use along with being aesthetically pleasing.

At a recent public show, I saw several on display for consideration. Each had their own distinct features and all were functional.

The Current use of MP to reduce the over populations of elements in our system may only be a temporary solution. Using this approach has also irritated the Softies prompting great debate and the purposed elimination of this practice for a permanent one.

The placement of Vegetation to further assist in reducing the harmful effects of unprocessed detritus that can build up and pollute our system can be quite effective. But it is a nuisance all its own.

This can provide an area to promote growth of unwanted invaders and can also have a reversing effect from die-offs and without close attention can flood the very thing we were trying to prevent into our systems.

Nighttime Illumination is strongly recommended and encouraged. Most High Tech control measures that several employ have this lighting function pre-programmed to facilitate this type of process.

Recently to illuminate the recent bloom of an undesired population, a mass of Media was inserted into the Flow. This served to not only indicate the true nature of the invasion but to reduce the amounts before over burdening our system. The strong measures that were placed stemmed the flow from overtaking the landscape but not without controversy.

I suspect even more to come, amid even greater controversy as to the correct path to a harmonious and healthy system becomes evident.

No reefers should have been harmed in the creation of this parallel parody :p

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those clown goby's worth it? i like them but what do they do?

They wear big red noses, honk a horn and wear flowers in their lapels that squirt water in your face.

Oh and lots and lots of them ride in the same tiny car.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wear big red noses, honk a horn and wear flowers in their lapels that squirt water in your face.

Oh and lots and lots of them ride in the same tiny car.
im sold, where do i get one?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back