Bubba's SPS Journey

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job Bubba!!! :) And you’re my hero... I wish that you could here me singing that when I see your new build, lol [emoji23]. What are you doing with your frag tanks?
Lol . Are you planning on going to MACNA in August? I will be going for sure, plane tickets are already bought, it would be fun to meet up and have a couple of adult beverages and talk SPS with you! Let me know, first round is on me.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job Bubba!!! :) And you’re my hero... I wish that you could here me singing that when I see your new build, lol [emoji23]. What are you doing with your frag tanks?
Lol . Are you planning on going to MACNA in August? I will be going for sure, plane tickets are already bought, it would be fun to meet up and have a couple of adult beverages and talk SPS with you! Let me know, first round is on me.
I sold the frag tanks. It feels good to no longer have tanks in the garage and not needing my chiller anymore.

I’m not sure if I’m going to macna or not. I’m not sure what macna is really about as I don’t think there are too many coral vendors. Is it mainly for guest speakers and product releases?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold the frag tanks. It feels good to no longer have tanks in the garage and not needing my chiller anymore.

I’m not sure if I’m going to macna or not. I’m not sure what macna is really about as I don’t think there are too many coral vendors. Is it mainly for guest speakers and product releases?

SOLD THE FRAG TANKS?!?!? I'm ridiculously behind on this thread! (understand about that chiller... I'd love to not have to run my electricity hog dehumidifier!)

MACNA has tons of vendors for coral and dry goods... I'd get a day pass just to check it out at least.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your polyp extension is remarkable. Your recent pink lemonade frag pic blew me away, I’ve never seen anywhere near that amount of pe on my pink lemonade.
I saw you use mp40’s, what other flow do you use besides that and what settings do you use? The new tank is looking amazing!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its time for more pictures... :)
For the past few weeks I have had very cloudy water. So cloudy I couldn’t see from one side of the tank to the other. I finally used the clarifier that comes in the bags of live sand and my water is back to being crystal clear. Hopefully with the increased par my color returns in a few weeks and I can get back to pics.

I’m going to buy a new Canon camera that can white balance under blues unlike the Nikon I have. I want to share accurate blue and daylight pics.

Last edited:

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks I have had very cloudy water. So cloudy I couldn’t see from one side of the tank to the other. I finally used the clarifier that comes in the bags of live sand and my water is back to being crystal clear. Hopefully with the increased par my color returns in a few weeks and I can get back to pics.

I’m going to buy a new Canon camera that can white balance under blues unlike the Nikon I have so I can share accurate blue and daylight pics.

Nice Bubba, probably a algae bloom like all new tanks go through, if you don’t mind me asking, what camera would that be, because my pictures are terrible with my phone, I have been looking for a while to buy one!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your polyp extension is remarkable. Your recent pink lemonade frag pic blew me away, I’ve never seen anywhere near that amount of pe on my pink lemonade.
I saw you use mp40’s, what other flow do you use besides that and what settings do you use? The new tank is looking amazing!
Thanks!

For flow I use four mp40’s and one mp60. The mode changes every few hours on all the pumps just to create random flow.

Nice Bubba, probably a algae bloom like all new tanks go through, if you don’t mind me asking, what camera would that be, because my pictures are terrible with my phone, I have been looking for a while to buy one!
My current is a Nikon D5300, which I like a lot but seems impossible to white balance under blues without some sort of filter. I would like to start sharing blue pics also but don’t want to use any filter and canon seems to allow that. I was looking at the Nikon 80D but my wife told me I can buy whatever camera I want so now I’m not sure.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top shelf posted a video of one of their farm display tanks today and it showed the perfect example when I was trying to explain growing corals out not attached to the rocks and have them encrust down.

Take a look.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

For flow I use four mp40’s and one mp60. The mode changes every few hours on all the pumps just to create random flow.

My current is a Nikon D5300, which I like a lot but seems impossible to white balance under blues without some sort of filter. I would like to start sharing blue pics also but don’t want to use any filter and canon seems to allow that. I was looking at the Nikon 80D but my wife told me I can buy whatever camera I want so now

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks I have had very cloudy water. So cloudy I couldn’t see from one side of the tank to the other.

I had a bacterial bloom when I started my tank. I really struggled getting a good bacteria population going and had to resort to a UV sterilizer for a week to get the water clear. I still think I’m struggling to get that crop of good bacteria 18 months later. I’m hoping you have better luck.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m going to buy a new Canon camera that can white balance under blues unlike the Nikon I have. I want to share accurate blue and daylight pics.
I had a bacterial bloom when I started my tank. I really struggled getting a good bacteria population going and had to resort to a UV sterilizer for a week to get the water clear. I still think I’m struggling to get that crop of good bacteria 18 months later. I’m hoping you have better luck.

Did you guys use any sort of "bacteria in a bottle" initially or do you think it is snake oil?

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t. My bloom started after I added a bottle of pods. I think the bacteria additives are worthless in my experience.
i would think when starting with such a sterile tank (dry rock, bare bottom) that diatom, algae, bacteria blooms are going to be hard to combat

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if mine was a bacterial bloom or not. The cloudiness started when I had water suck through my co2 scrubber and into the tank. It seemed to turn cloudy instantly and never let up until I used the clarifier.

I have used a uv sterilizer since about two weeks of the tank start which was before it turned cloudy.

Did you guys use any sort of "bacteria in a bottle" initially or do you think it is snake oil?
I always use Biospira. I actually do think the stuff works as I had nitrates within a week of starting the tank.

Last edited:

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure is mine was a bacterial bloom or not. The cloudiness started when I had water suck through my co2 scrubber and into the tank. It seemed to turn cloudy instantly and never let up until I used the clarifier.

I have used a uv sterilizer since about two weeks of the tank start which was before it turned cloudy.

I always use Biospira. I actually do think the stuff works as I had nitrates within a week of starting the tank.

I agree, all my new setups i use biospira and the tank has nitrates pretty quick.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back