Budget reef lighting

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, for the money they are the best light as they use high end LED's, and power supplies, the lights are easy to program, the lights have six color channels you can independently program, the lights can be programed up and down 10 times every hour, the lights come with a 2 year warranty, the lights also have great customer service and are sold and repaired in the USA. The Photon V2+ is also a nice looking light, and I am sure I left a thing or two out that makes lights the best light for the money as of now. Now if you want to talk about high end LED's the Mitra LX7206 light is the best on todays market, as of now, hope I helped answer your questions.

Thanks for your thoughts. I take it that the LEDs used closely match those in the 'high-end' units?

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
china lights lots of blue coralpop from the color...add much those bought from ebay and it's good!

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone post a link to the Phonton V2+ lights? I can't seem to find them.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that your best bet is Chinese boxes. If you are looking for controllability some of them got it, other are just on or off.

I'm using the Noopsyshe all I could say is that they are doing great. They can be controlled with their own remote control and as PAR spread, they got nothing to envy Kessil, AI, Radion for a fraction of the price. They are not Apex ready, but who cares... ones you set them or any other light, is leave it and forgive it. And as PUR they got a very nice spectrum right were the corals need.

You could check here an study about Chinese boxes and they are been compared, the tread still under development but it got really good and reliable information.

I just bought 3 more for my new build and the fun part of it is that you can control them with one remote control up to 16 lights. I'm my personal opinion if you need more light just add it and your good to go as needed. And you don't need to break the bank or scratch the plastic.

By the way I was one of the lucky winners of one of their giveaways. I'm not been sponsor or anything by them to write this down, but, all I could said, they Rocks and esthetically they looks awesome, if not my wife will be complaining about them. Because my tank is in the Dinning Room. And we all know happy wife, happy reefing... Buajajaja!

By the way...
This is my personal opinion based on my experience.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot to mention, I have researched all over the net and you got to see the incredible DT that those fellows reefers in that part of the world have accomplish with their different Chinese boxes. Here is just a market battle. But for sure some are better than others, do your research. Money wise you won't regret it. And also remember light is one of the important parts of a healthy reef, beside a good husbandry. Beside that, IMPO the less gadget for play with a light fixture the more successful you will be. They are meant to settled and leave it.

Last edited:

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done lots of research and am being to realize this. I think I will start out with nicer lights, so I don’t end up wanting more difficult coral and not being able to take care of it. Do you guys think that 3 AI Primes for a 125 gallon can grow lps corals? This way If I wanted, I could always add another one on in be future when I can afford it.
. . . . . . and this is the rub. I am in the same boat. I am researching and researching and researching and following your thread closely. You want to get "nicer", but that seems to come with a massive cost. So then you look at the knock offs and there always seems to be a catch. I really, really want to get the AI Prime HDs and I can download setting from my LFS. No more wondering if I have a lighting issue. I am sick and tired of playing that game. Plus support the local store. BUT, for my 75 with a stupid hood mount right in the middle I was told I need to get 4. At that point I am up to $900 with mounts. So I am seriously considering going with the Aqua Knights/Hipargero https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727V8C5...&pd_rd_r=0c2d723a-6720-11e9-8627-41445435c50e for just $60 ea. Figure I would need 6 for my 48" tank. BUT the rim in my tank is more than 1 inch so then I would be hacking again by cutting the rim or ???? I don't want a ceiling mount. Maybe that brings you back to the original T5 Odyssea recommendation for only $130. You can buy a lot of bulbs on the way to $900. BUT, is that enough light? Now you are left wondering again.

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I have SPS growing well with 3 black box lights that are at least 5 years old.

If I did anything to enhance my lighting, it would be to add 2 T5 lights for an led, T5 combo.

I have a 125 gallon, 6 foot tank.

I will never drop 2k on top of my tank. I also believe that LED technology is pretty solid now. Aside from diffusers on the ecotech radions they are said to be awesome. Kessel has an awesome plug and play light, AI Hydras are awesome.

That's a lot of awesome out there. Everyone will copy awesome.

My point is, the black boxes are copying what is working. I can only imagine that the next innovation is going to be awesome for less money.

They are missing at least 1/2 of reef tank owners because of pricing.

Just my 2 cents.

To sum it up, I'd use 3 black boxes over a 125, and 2 t5 retro kit.

The t5 can be added later.

Which 3 black boxes?

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny

They call them ‘black boxes’ because it doesn’t make a difference which ones they are

You can go to Alibaba and find the same crap Chinese light from 1000 different vendors with different names

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . . . . and this is the rub. I am in the same boat. I am researching and researching and researching and following your thread closely. You want to get "nicer", but that seems to come with a massive cost. So then you look at the knock offs and there always seems to be a catch. I really, really want to get the AI Prime HDs and I can download setting from my LFS. No more wondering if I have a lighting issue. I am sick and tired of playing that game. Plus support the local store. BUT, for my 75 with a stupid hood mount right in the middle I was told I need to get 4. At that point I am up to $900 with mounts. So I am seriously considering going with the Aqua Knights/Hipargero https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727V8C5...&pd_rd_r=0c2d723a-6720-11e9-8627-41445435c50e for just $60 ea. Figure I would need 6 for my 48" tank. BUT the rim in my tank is more than 1 inch so then I would be hacking again by cutting the rim or ???? I don't want a ceiling mount. Maybe that brings you back to the original T5 Odyssea recommendation for only $130. You can buy a lot of bulbs on the way to $900. BUT, is that enough light? Now you are left wondering again.
This is the exact lighting setup I have over my 150g, 72x18x27. I have 2x 36" Odyssea t5 4 bulb fixtures, along with 3x hipargero LEDs. I feel this is more than enough PAR in a full mixed reef. Total investment, $500 (after replacing some of the bulbs with ati and buying mounting kits) . You do have to get creative mounting the hipargeros if you have a rimmed tank. I have a canopy so that made things easier..it is a bit crowded on an 18" wide tank, but does fit.

I am highly considering this setup over an 8ft 240-300g build. Of course I will have to add another odyssea fixture and probably 3 more hipargeros. On a 125g, you could attach a 1/2"metal bar to the rim to mount the hipargeros, or even slide a piece of ply would behind the tank to attach them. You will need to purchase the mounting kit separately on ebay for the odysseas, $15. The hipargeros have high quality cree bulbs, similar to those used on more expensive led setups. The odyssea timers are great, you can control 2 channels, each with w 2 bulbs to create whatever lighting schedule you want, and an additional controllable moonlight led channel. The moonlight is a nice bonus. I put the hipargeros on a $12 timer, and now I have "controllabilty" for 1/4 of the price of buying say, the aquatic life hybrid fixtures with kessils or ai primes. I couldn't bring myself to pay for the higher end setup, as I was able to achieve a similar setup for much less.

Another option I was highly considering was 3x viparspectras, but decided I wanted a hybrid setup. My understanding is that the viparspectras are very strong, so it is a good idea to mount them somewhat high to avoid hot-spotting.

Last edited:

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy used AI Sols. You can easily light your 6ft tank adequately with 3 units and they are generally sold for $100 - $130 each, sometimes with shipping included. For softies and LPS, these will give you plenty of light and it'll look nice. You will need a controller but many times those are available as a package deal with the lights. I've got 6 of them now and while they are "old and outdated" they do everything I need and are reliable. I have replaced two power supplies but they were $17 each... easy peasy.

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy used AI Sols. You can easily light your 6ft tank adequately with 3 units and they are generally sold for $100 - $130 each, sometimes with shipping included. For softies and LPS, these will give you plenty of light and it'll look nice. You will need a controller but many times those are available as a package deal with the lights. I've got 6 of them now and while they are "old and outdated" they do everything I need and are reliable. I have replaced two power supplies but they were $17 each... easy peasy.

One observation. If one goes with the AI Prime solution, there is resale value if a person gets out of the hobby 5 or 8 years from now. These things seems to hold their value pretty well. I can't seem to find them used for less than $150. Or in your example $100. Real cost in the end is about 1/2 of original investment.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One observation. If one goes with the AI Prime solution, there is resale value if a person gets out of the hobby 5 or 8 years from now. These things seems to hold their value pretty well. I can't seem to find them used for less than $150. Or in your example $100. Real cost in the end is about 1/2 of original investment.

I'm not sure about the AI Prime... I'm referring to the AI Sol which is an older light. Last year I bought 3 of them for $330 shipped. Most people are looking for the newer stuff so sometimes you'll find older generations for a really good price. Same goes for Gen 1/2 Radions.

James210ReefLife

James'210reefLife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 6 bulb T5ho over my 75 gallon reef. Saved up and then upgraded to SB Reef lights.
I love both lighting systems.
Didn't love buying bulbs...
20141005_200333.jpg
IMG_20190420_193410.jpg
IMG_20190223_182206 (2).jpg

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I have SPS growing well with 3 black box lights that are at least 5 years old.

If I did anything to enhance my lighting, it would be to add 2 T5 lights for an led, T5 combo.

I have a 125 gallon, 6 foot tank.

I will never drop 2k on top of my tank. I also believe that LED technology is pretty solid now. Aside from diffusers on the ecotech radions they are said to be awesome. Kessel has an awesome plug and play light, AI Hydras are awesome.

That's a lot of awesome out there. Everyone will copy awesome.

My point is, the black boxes are copying what is working. I can only imagine that the next innovation is going to be awesome for less money.

They are missing at least 1/2 of reef tank owners because of pricing.

Just my 2 cents.

To sum it up, I'd use 3 black boxes over a 125, and 2 t5 retro kit.

The t5 can be added later.
So I have 2 aquaknight led’s (30 watts) and 4 bulb t5. Think that works to grow acros? I have some monti Digitata that seek to be fine half way up in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back