OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox face and marine betta made it over. The dusky immediately buried himself when he saw what I was doing :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the big guys ate in the new tank, they are both out and exploring, the fox face already started to eat the algae that's growing on everything. Nobody gets a picture because it is experiencing a serious case of the uglies.

I'm hoping to get the last couple fish out of here today or by the end of this weekend so I can start breaking down the cade.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update, everyone in the cube looking alright today. All fish ate.

I thought everything died on the big rock I pulled over but I see some zoas/palys opening up again today.

Fighting conchs out and about, big ole monster still looking for his new digs.
PXL_20221013_121302893.jpg

I was, naturally, most worried about my marine betta making the transition but so far so good. Seems to have found a safe space and came out to eat this morning.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time trying to get the dusky yesterday, no dice. He hasn't come out yet today but I'm gonna give him today to recoup and spend some time tomorrow. He's the ONLY fish in the tank that was 100% wary of the trap from the start, so that's not an option. Gonna have to net him :anxious-face-with-sweat:

In other news, addition of foxface seems to be clearing out the random furry algae outbreak the cube started to have. I thought everything on the rock I transferred over died, but apparently just the gorg and leathers - the zoas/palys are starting to open back up thankfully.

I work all day today, overnight tomorrow night, and then all day Monday - then vacation time for the remainder of the week.

Hoping I can get the dusky out and that tank breakdown/drain started by the end of next week. Still haven't figured out where/how we're going to store it until the move....

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the marine betta more closely during feeding times (I don't have the plank set up yet so I'm hand feeding daily) and he's such a docile eater. One of the things I found in my pony research is that as long as you're not doing dwarf (or very small juveniles, or are worried about breeding and raising) the marine bettas actually make a really good companion fish for the seahorses. They only want to eat smaller things that fit in their mouths, and *most* of them are very calm eaters. Many fish don't make good companions in a seahorse tank because they're such voracious eaters and essentially out compete them. One of the well reputed vendors has a section of compatible fish and they're on the list. I doubted it at first but the more I watch....

I might end up keeping him in this tank long term to go with the pair instead of moving him back over to the bigger tank. I keep saying it's "the small tank", but it's still about 60 gallons which is suitable for the marine betta. I've never seen him go after a fish, just shrimp & nudis. He doesn't even go after the snails, that's the duskys business.

Trying to figure out what to do with all my remaining rock....

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Watching the marine betta more closely during feeding times (I don't have the plank set up yet so I'm hand feeding daily) and he's such a docile eater. One of the things I found in my pony research is that as long as you're not doing dwarf (or very small juveniles, or are worried about breeding and raising) the marine bettas actually make a really good companion fish for the seahorses. They only want to eat smaller things that fit in their mouths, and *most* of them are very calm eaters. Many fish don't make good companions in a seahorse tank because they're such voracious eaters and essentially out compete them. One of the well reputed vendors has a section of compatible fish and they're on the list. I doubted it at first but the more I watch....

I might end up keeping him in this tank long term to go with the pair instead of moving him back over to the bigger tank. I keep saying it's "the small tank", but it's still about 60 gallons which is suitable for the marine betta. I've never seen him go after a fish, just shrimp & nudis. He doesn't even go after the snails, that's the duskys business.

Trying to figure out what to do with all my remaining rock....
The betta should be fine...sounds like they eat less veroicously than scooters or manderins. ;)

You can hand feed your seahorses also.

Ours are really really lazy and brit literally squirts the food at them with a pipette and they go for it.

We started this way just to make sure they
would eat and now it's just fun to do lol.

Since feeding this way we've actually thought even clowns might be ok if you can hand feed your ponies and make sure theybare eating.

We have them in a 20g so it's really easy. Larger would definitely be a little more difficult.

I'm excited for you to watch them grow and dance and have babies.

It doesn't take long and soon they will be trying to transfer eggs.

It's the cutest thing to watch. They are so clumsy and miss the handoff a lot. Eggs end up on the floor food for the scooters and worms

I'm sure I missed it but where are you getting your horses from?

Oh and we did have to eventually get a chiller to stay at 71....we found that temp was were things were happiest lol

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The betta should be fine...sounds like they eat less veroicously than scooters or manderins. ;)

Ours are really really lazy and brit literally squirts the food at them with a pipette and they go for it.

Since feeding this way we've actually thought even clowns might be ok if you can hand feed your ponies and make sure theybare eating.

We have them in a 20g so it's really easy. Larger would definitely be a little more difficult.

It's the cutest thing to watch. They are so clumsy and miss the handoff a lot. Eggs end up on the floor food for the scooters and worms

Oh and we did have to eventually get a chiller to stay at 71....we found that temp was were things were happiest lol
Not 100% sure yet, I've got time lol.

I'll take any recommendations though

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm expecting to need a chiller, adding the UV ended up bumping the temp up.

Reading your experience is making me excited. I'd love some photos!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm expecting to need a chiller, adding the UV ended up bumping the temp up.

Reading your experience is making me excited. I'd love some photos!
20220706_125552.jpg
20220617_201327.jpg
20220413_153838.jpg

They are going into the larger cube once done cycling.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back