Can this be buffed?

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade and found a perfect sized tank with the exact dimensions I need, only problem is it has two lines like this going down it, they're straight and appear to have been a manufacturing issue. You can feel the groove from inside the tank.

Anyone know if these lines can be buffed out? If so how would it be done?

20200626_082933.jpg

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade and found a perfect sized tank with the exact dimensions I need, only problem is it has two lines like this going down it, they're straight and appear to have been a manufacturing issue. You can feel the groove from inside the tank.

Anyone know if these lines can be buffed out? If so how would it be done?

20200626_082933.jpg
Is it a raised groove or more like a deep scratch? If that's a defect from the factory it never should have left the factory. If it's a "stone line" which is a continuous line of defects then it's a serious point of weakness in the glass. A "stone line" would be a raised line that you could feel. Basically, you cannot "buff" out a stone line, you would actually be removing glass even if it's glass that you don't want.

Dennis

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Is it a raised groove or more like a deep scratch? If that's a defect from the factory it never should have left the factory. If it's a "stone line" which is a continuous line of defects then it's a serious point of weakness in the glass. A "stone line" would be a raised line that you could feel. Basically, you cannot "buff" out a stone line, you would actually be removing glass even if it's glass that you don't want.

Dennis
It's acrylic, the line is protruding outside if the acrylic. I'm not sure what a stone line is, google searches result mainly in brands or jewelry

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's acrylic, the line is protruding outside if the acrylic. I'm not sure what a stone line is, google searches result mainly in brands or jewelry
Looks to me like at some point 100% silicone was used there to attach a piece of glass or another piece of acrylic.

I don't know a whole lot about acrylic, but I do know that it absorbs moisture, it could absorb silicone also and swell in that area. I'm wondering if you just left it alone, it would dissipate over time.

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks to me like at some point 100% silicone was used there to attach a piece of glass or another piece of acrylic.
I don't know a whole lot about acrylic, but I do know that it absorbs moisture, it could absorb silicone also and swell in that area. I'm wondering if you just left it alone, it would dissipate over time.

Current owner says it was there since they got it, which was about 2 years. Corners arent smooth so I'm not sure about the swollen part

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's acrylic nothing I wrote applies. What I wrote applies to glass only.

Dennis

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back