can you mix copper power with c--phosphate?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was wondering can you mix copper power with cp.. i run copper in my fowler at 1.5-2.0 and I am seeing that some of my long-term fish are flashing on the rocks and sand... odd because there have been no new additions in many months...

so i have a script of the stuff with more than enough to dose the 220g tank a few times.....

can i mix the cp with a copper level of 1.5-2.0 or should i remove the copper first.

why would they be flashing in a dt with copper levels that high and no new added fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Your tests might be inaccurate.
2. 1.5 might not be enough.
3. Though it may be a hassle I personally wouldn't mix 2 different formulations. (How many gallons in your tank)
4. Are you sure that whatever is causing the flashing is something that is 'sensitive', treatable, with copper?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know your copper is 1.5-2.0 ppm?

When I dosed copper power in a 300 gallon FOWLR, I had a LOT of absorption. I had to dose 20mL a DAY! Tested with Hannah copper.

CP is not a good candidate for dosing in an established tank. It will most likely break down before the dose can target the parasites.

The most common cause of scratching is flukes. Praziquantel is the treatment of choice, but in an established tank, you’ll need a UV to run in case of a bacterial bloom.

The best way to use Prazipro in an established tank is to dose prazi every 6-7 days for 3 consecutive weeks. 24 day after each dose you need to run the UV until the next dose. You don’t run UV during the initial 24 hours of the prazi dose since the UV will just immediately break down the prazipro.

You only need 24 hours of contact time of prazi to be effective to flukes.

UV cannot be used with cupramine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I tested and I'm at 2.96 not 1.5-2.0 I was down to .95 a last week and slowly started raming it up, because I fell out of my comfort range of 1.5-2.0. don't freak out. my lfs runs copper power at 4-5,

I'm not really seeing anything wrong with them. it may be my PTSD from losing a lot of fish over the years.... flashing and swimming in the current of a power head has always been tale tale signs of issues. so I'm just pondering why the flashing and powered swimming at 2.5 and up copper levels really.. two of my fish are close to 1k so I get a bit freaked when I see sickly behavior.

I have a large UV Installed and Controlled by a smart plug. I have not run it in a coons age since I started adding copper power to the dt. I chose copper power in the dt because I was losing fish to something in the beginning of the fowler setup. so I made the leap and yes I am completely fine with it being a fowler forever.. because I have my 150 reef tank for corals. and my wifes 50g for softies alongside my frag set up. I may have a problem. hahahahaha..

anyway, can parasites become used to copper?

20220309_173114.jpg

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS runs copper at 4-5ppm?

First, I would not assume those levels are actually correct (they should have a lot of losses at that concentration).

Why wouldn’t you just go the proven route of 2.5ppm? It’s proven to kill ich and velvet, and going higher won’t hurt anything other than your fish!

Your rocks should absorb the copper until it drops down to 2.5ppm.

Maybe sure you aren’t using the same syringe that you dose your copper with in the same vial to test. It will be a false positive with the drops of pure copper going into the test vial.

You need to be more precise with your dosing. Use an online calculator to see how many mL raises your copper by. If you need help, I can do the math for you, but please don’t be so hasty with that copper stuff.

There’s no reason to go so high and you are supposed to test every single day if you want to dose copper in a tank with rocks since fluctuations will occur.

You only have one shot at getting this copper treatment right (many fish cannot handle overexposure to copper). Do it once correctly and get it over with.

There’s not many people here who have dosed copper in a tank with rocks and sand. I have, and I was very successful at it. I highly suggest you follow my lead on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they do i tested their water a few times an i was like wow.

I rinse my test vials out with rodi water two times prior to adding the tank water to it.

I'm at 2.96, not as a target but i added the last of the copper power because i did not want to keep a bottle around with only a swallow in it . lol.. i mean who puts a bottle of whiskey up if it only has one shot left. hahahahahaha

I rinse the syringe a few times as well before using it to pull the sample.

120mls of copper power raises my copper levels .5-.6--- determined by tested every day when i started adding it

abortion on a daily basis is about .02 again ----determined by tested every day when I started adding it.

not sure why I am getting copper testing advice but sure why not.. I could use a second opinion on my math...what you need to know

so you're saying not to trust Hannah checkers?

funny some say be precise and others say close is good enough. lol

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well I tested and I'm at 2.96 not 1.5-2.0 I was down to .95 a last week and slowly started raming it up, because I fell out of my comfort range of 1.5-2.0. don't freak out. my lfs runs copper power at 4-5,

I'm not really seeing anything wrong with them. it may be my PTSD from losing a lot of fish over the years.... flashing and swimming in the current of a power head has always been tale tale signs of issues. so I'm just pondering why the flashing and powered swimming at 2.5 and up copper levels really.. two of my fish are close to 1k so I get a bit freaked when I see sickly behavior.

I have a large UV Installed and Controlled by a smart plug. I have not run it in a coons age since I started adding copper power to the dt. I chose copper power in the dt because I was losing fish to something in the beginning of the fowler setup. so I made the leap and yes I am completely fine with it being a fowler forever.. because I have my 150 reef tank for corals. and my wifes 50g for softies alongside my frag set up. I may have a problem. hahahahaha..

anyway, can parasites become used to copper?

20220309_173114.jpg
I would (if you can) double check the level) with another test kit - unless your dosing math suggests it should have gone from .95 - 2.96 (and also assuming that the 0.95 was correct).

I feel like you're getting multiple sets of advice. IDK whether your fish have flukes or not. IDK whether you should be treating with copper (which can also cause scratching).

In any case - You've started a plan - I would complete that plan. Make sure your tests are accurate - and treat for the recommended time. If there is still itching after that - you can always dose prazipro.

Second - I would not dose 2 different copper products at once. Thats my PTSD

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back