Captive bred yellow tangs

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going to buy these and I probably will once my tank is established I would want to buy them direct. Seems like the LFS distribution chains can be hard on them and it's quite a bit of investment to set up a seperate system just for these fish.

I am excited to read this thread and learn that the coloration comes with age. The initial photos of these fish had me freaking out about getting them.

I remember going to petco and picking them up for $20. Those were the days. I just got back into the hobby after a 15 y
I find they don’t actually get that solid yellow that we’re used to and instead they’re fuller AND tend to have white patches with age. If I’m honest it’d be better trying to get a wild caught Indonesian YT for the bold yellow colour.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota is now offering larger sizes. They look pretty good.
6C32A150-D5E2-4F88-8E87-B9061AB5DB74.png

C398E6AE-2D51-4F8E-8575-741ECB3AC62E.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in, every medication you find has copper, yes QT is good and all however would you rather QT a mandarin or chuck it into your reef? I’m pretty sure I’d rather put it into my reef so it has more of a chance of survival with the pod intake being MUCH higher in an established reef instead of a QT tank.

I don’t QT with copper but I do QT. I use peroxide so there are definitely alternatives. In the states you really risk losing everting if you plop fish. Those from the UK don’t seem to have the same problems. It’s apples vs oranges scenario.

That tamarin wrasse I got eating died from urenoma. I should have put it in QT and treated immediately when I got home but I just didn’t expect a wrasse to come down with urenoma. Once the fish has symptoms, it’s basically going to die. Lesson learned, next one is going into QT.

Mandarins are fairly easy to QT. You just have to culture some white worms, bbs, and buy some fish roe BEFORE bringing the fish home. A healthy one will eat live foods and roe readily. They do offer captive bred now that eat crushed pellets.

Mandarins will take food just fine… it’s more that people impulse buy them and don’t have the right foods on hand and it’s not something you just walk into petco and buy.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically you’re selling a fully qt fish and if the hobbyist tank is parasite free you should be able to add your YT with no worries ?
We have strict biosecurity protocols developed by skilled marine biologists, but we do recommend a quarantine period for all fish regardless of where they come from (please don't use copper on our yellow tangs). We do our best to keep our systems and fish free of any pathogens, and it would be extremely unlikely, but in the words of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, "Life, uh, finds a way." - Biota Felicia

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are seeing the transformation from fry to juvenile to adult yellow tang. Biota sells very young yellows, where the wild caught are older. A lfs got in a bunch of the young fry, still transparent, and have had them growing out over the past few months. Nobody has bought them yet, and I'm planning to pick up 3-5 this weekend now that they have grown out some. 2.5-3 inch now.
I'll still need to keep them I. A qt for about 6months to get a bit bigger before I can add them to my 400g

Trunalimunumapruzre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biota yellow tang I bought about 6 months ago. I’ve done everything possible and he has the worst HLLE I’ve seen. Very sad

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices the same as smaller?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's completely understandable. The small go for 150.0 at the lfs
Dang… wish I was over there now, over here a small yellow goes for £220-£240. Which is equal to $295.89-$322.79.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's completely understandable. The small go for 150.0 at the lfs
I think a very positive development is that as @Biota_Marine has ramped up their supply (or demand has waned a little), their “small” YT’s just aren’t quite as tiny as they were shipping a few months ago.

Trunalimunumapruzre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried miracle mud? It's not known exactly why it works, but it is pretty amazing when all else fails.
-Felicia
I havent tried this but it looks interesting! Can I use it when I already have a refugium and skimmer set up? Their website seems to imply its should be the first thing you add when setting up an already dry area for a refugium, and then putting a barrier over it while you pour the water in in order to not stir it up

Edit: By the way the Mandarin I got from Biota is a BEAST. It eats everything from mysis to B2 pellets to Aquanix flakes :D

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my biota yellow tang for about three weeks. She started eating right away and eats anything I put in there. Very active and is coloring up nicely. I’m not a photographer and this is with my cell phone. She’s even prettier in person! Hoping to get a pair of mandarins from Biota soon.

Attachments

• F7A4F6D6-AC02-46C6-AF50-AE58E6F357E3.jpeg
    F7A4F6D6-AC02-46C6-AF50-AE58E6F357E3.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 84

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back