Center brace for 5ft tank??

Matel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a second hand Aquael Rimless tank 99gal. It's got like a semi euro brace in the middle? Is that sufficient or do I need to add a center brace or additional braces?

Dimensions:
59"x20"x20"
10mm thick glass

20230428_143856.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass "braces" in the middle aren't doing anything structural in this case. To be doing anything, they would need to be spanning the different panels. I wonder if the tank didn't get finished?

10 mm (3/8") would be fine for that size if it were rimmed or eurobraced. I would add some bracing if it were mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matel

Matel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will help prevent the glass from Bowing thou.
I asked "what is the purpose of the euro-bracing? In this case, it doesn't span between any of the panels, so it isn't bracing the glass."

Their answer: "Hello, to prevent the glass from bowing out"

Strange design. I don't know why you wouldn't just extend the braces all the way to the ends...

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked "what is the purpose of the euro-bracing? In this case, it doesn't span between any of the panels, so it isn't bracing the glass."

Their answer: "Hello, to prevent the glass from bowing out"

Strange design. I don't know why you wouldn't just extend the braces all the way to the ends...
I can imagine to save $10 lol… like wow! That’s crazy to me! End to end and locked in with silicone would be much better.. extra 2 min of labor for a peace of mind!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matel

Matel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine to save $10 lol… like wow! That’s crazy to me! End to end and locked in with silicone would be much better.. extra 2 min of labor for a peace of mind!
Tried to do a quick Google search. I think it's a company based out of Poland. Maybe they do it differently in Europe

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to do a quick Google search. I think it's a company based out of Poland. Maybe they do it differently in Europe
Well to answer your question a center brace would most def help! I’d have 2 pieces of glass cut the entire length and run the euro end to end over having a center brace personally.. I mean it might be okay the way it is but that’s just weird looking and not adding any strength to the silicone joints of the tank… it helps prevent a hinge on the bottom seal at best and very minimal at that.

Upvote 0

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just silicon a single piece across the middle connecting those pieces for strength, if you aren't worried about looks too much. A center brace will likely do more for strength than a full eurobrace anyway. When I was purchasing my tanks (from AGE) they flatly said that eurobracing does very little for structural stability. That was a surprise to me... they preferred actual powder coated frames and cross braces.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matel

Matel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll remove the existing brace and do euro all the way around. Should the euro brace be on top of the tank or a few mm below?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back