Cjtabares' 45 gallon

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 gal build thread
I am in the processes of building a 45 gal reef tank and have all of my equipment together and figured I would start a build thread. I guess I will start with a list of all my stuff.

45 gal marienland tank (24"x24"x18")
Super reef Octopus 1000
Waterblaster 2000
2x 10 gal tanks for sump and refugium
DIY 36 LED fixture
~100 lbs of rock
20 lbs of Marco Rocks sand
BRS doser pump
APEX controller
Steel stand 24"x24"x30"

The plan is to have some softies, a few clams, and a lot of lps (a lot of these lps will be acans). I am going to spend special attention to the rock work, I plan on spending some time placing the rockwork together outside of the tank. The rock should be steril, I finished bleaching them and plan on giving them a hydrochloric bath on my next day off. I also plan a finishing my stand with walnut with a maple trim and building a hood to match, it is kind of hard to explain what I want to do but I will take pics and post while I build it.

I will be drilling the DT and installing a glass-hole overflow. It will be plumbed down to a 10 gal sump which will hold my skimmer. The sump has a 1" bulkhead and will overflow into an other 10 gal tank, I think I may use this for a refugium or I may just leave it empty. I am also looking into the idea of having a 5 gal chamber I can bypass for water canges. I will be using the waterblaster 2000 as a return. I think I may use flex PVC for the return pipes.

My original plan was to have no baffles in the 1st 10 gal, this tank would hold and equipment I want to house. From there it would flow through the bulkhead into the 2nd 10 gal tank. This tank would be divided by a bubble trap the first section would be a refugium and the 2nd would house my waterblaster to return to the DT. But I am now thinking of dividing the first tank, the first chamber will house and equipment and the 2nd would be my refugium. Then it would flow to a bypassable 5 gal chamber in the 2nd tank to make water changes a little easier. The last chamber would still be separated by a bubble trap for the return pump.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris is a great guy and has a been without a tank for some time. I am glad to see you back bro. Call me up and stop by for some start up corals when its ready. I cant wait to see it develope.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far, what rocks are you going to end up using? I see you are going to use Marco rocks sand.. I take it the same with their rocks?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan and list of equipment!! Are you making the LED system?? How is that coming along?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're using a doser pump.. is it for Kalk additions? If so I would consider an addition doser for calcium alone for your tank. You'll appreciate the automation! ;)

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris is a great guy and has a been without a tank for some time. I am glad to see you back bro. Call me up and stop by for some start up corals when its ready. I cant wait to see it develope.

Thanks Nick, I have to stop by sooner and check out your tank again I am sure it has changed a lot since last time I was over.

Looking good so far, what rocks are you going to end up using? I see you are going to use Marco rocks sand.. I take it the same with their rocks?

I will be using rock I had from my last tank. I am cleaning and drying it now. It is stuff I bought from a LFS.

Sounds like a great plan and list of equipment!! Are you making the LED system?? How is that coming along?

Yes, and all I have left is to wire it. It will be dimmable and controlled by the APEX.

Sounds like you have a great start!

CJ

Thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an IPhone pic of my LEDs. There are 36 LEDs 2" between each row and 2" between each LED. The 2 heat sinks together are 12"x12". All that I need to do now is wire it.

IMG_0109.jpg

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey looks like you're off to a great start! I'm picking up the same tank tomorrow and also planning on building an LED fixture. I was just wondering if you could give us more info on your fixture. What color LEDS did ya go with?

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have started building this again. I have alomost everything done, all I have left to do is the plumbing and then I need to wire the LEDs to the APEX. After that is done I will start the cycle.

Here is a link to a buld thread of my LED fixture.
LED fixture

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after almost a year I have the tank up and cycleing. Here are a few pics.

1 cool white to 1 royal blue
ab5fa9d5.jpg

1 cw to 3 rb
89d4e819.jpg

d6a9ee4d.jpg

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back