cleaning with tap water

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I know that tap water is a bad thing to use for your thank and that's why I buy water at the store, but in certain cases from other people I see that using it might be ok. so I was wondering if I would be ok using it for my protein skimmer. Also do the buckets of water I bring to fill up at the fish store become dirty ever? If so can I use tap to clean them out? And the last question isn't on topic but should I designate a bucket for dirty tank water or acclimating fish or something? Thanks for your help.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all fifty pages below involve tap water rinsing on areas far more sensitive than hardware cleanup. this will help, its a fifty page tap water in a reef tank impact study.

you can for sure rinse your gear in tap water. save final rinse for ro if concerned, or just wipe it off.

another thing that thread accomplishes: how reliable are large scale public views on reefing procedure...after all in a poll, how many respondents would agree that washing sandbeds in tap water is good in all cases. none lol

but thats fifty pages and some very recent jobs completed.

we can tell by basic patterning logged there that if someone wants to wash with tap water every bioball and siporax media they have, and every bio brick, every filter sponge, and their whole sandbed and then put it back into a reef tank after a brief ro rinse, only good things will come of it. logged right there, that very action that sounds impossible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all fifty pages below involve tap water rinsing on areas far more sensitive than hardware cleanup. this will help, its a fifty page tap water in a reef tank impact study.

you can for sure rinse your gear in tap water. save final rinse for ro if concerned, or just wipe it off.

another thing that thread accomplishes: how reliable are large scale public views on reefing procedure...after all in a poll, how many respondents would agree that washing sandbeds in tap water is good in all cases. none lol

but thats fifty pages and some very recent jobs completed.

we can tell by basic patterning logged there that if someone wants to wash with tap water every bioball and siporax media they have, and every bio brick, every filter sponge, and their whole sandbed and then put it back into a reef tank after a brief ro rinse, only good things will come of it. logged right there, that very action that sounds impossible.
Wow, looks really helpful. thanks!

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be okay with rinsing and cleaning gear with tap water. I think most if not all reefers do it that way.
I have a specific 'dirty' bucket for water changes, but that's just me trying to seem more organized lol. I'm sure if you hose it off well, you can reuse the bucket for clean saltwater too.

Cheers.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I know that tap water is a bad thing to use for your thank and that's why I buy water at the store, but in certain cases from other people I see that using it might be ok. so I was wondering if I would be ok using it for my protein skimmer. Also do the buckets of water I bring to fill up at the fish store become dirty ever? If so can I use tap to clean them out? And the last question isn't on topic but should I designate a bucket for dirty tank water or acclimating fish or something? Thanks for your help.
You will be fine using tap water for cleaning dont worry about it. Ive always used it

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water is ok for washing stuff, (you got a bottle brush for your skimmer?) The buckets just need a rinse out, and a wipe and dry, thoroughly.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water is ok for washing stuff, (you got a bottle brush for your skimmer?) The buckets just need a rinse out, and a wipe and dry, thoroughly.
I use a toothbrush for the skimmer because I keep forgetting to get a bottlebrush (since it looks better than a tiny toothbrush). Also is there a way you know when to clean the buckets? (I don't have a tds meter if that's how).

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont over complicate it.

I give everything that touches salt water a quick rinse in tap water after.
Ensuring its dry before next use.
There is really no indicator other than your personal preference when to clean....

For me...i just dont let salt build up on things.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been brave enough to skip the RO final rinse step

Tamberav have you seen any issues from flat out not rinsing it off after use

I find it hard to accept tap water as instant poison as it is the core ingredient in my meatshakes yum yum. It has not poisoned me whatsoever.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I rinse with something with tap I either let it dry completely before use or give it a quick RODI rinse before placing back in the tank.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always soak my buckets, siphons; and equipment in chlorinated tap water in my fresh water tanks, long before I got into reefing and have never had an issue. When cleaning filter socks and sponges, I always soak them in RoDI water for at least an hour after rinsing in hot tap water.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been brave enough to skip the RO final rinse step

Tamberav have you seen any issues from flat out not rinsing it off after use

I find it hard to accept tap water as instant poison as it is the core ingredient in my meatshakes yum yum. It has not poisoned me whatsoever.
I need to know more about this ‘meat shake’ (I don’t know why, it makes me gag even thinking about what it could possibly be, but I need to know!).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

given a pinch of salt it tastes just like a chocolate sonic milk shake only with fridge ingredients blended in

use better water than I use, choose less cloudy base water

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

given a pinch of salt it tastes just like a chocolate sonic milk shake only with fridge ingredients blended in

Shocked Maya Rudolph GIF

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is an affront to all that is good and decent in the world.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two huge reefs here in Lubbock running high tds tap and doing fine, no ro di even for top off. I don’t know how some get lucky that way but it’s the case.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two huge reefs here in Lubbock running high tds tap and doing fine, no ro di even for top off. I don’t know how some get lucky that way but it’s the case.
That's insane. I thought any ionized metals in water were a killer especially for sps.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back