clowns without a nem

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I'm fairly new to this hobby, and have a question. For reference sake, I'll be using the AquaOne Mini Reef 120Litre tank.

I've been looking at getting two clownfish, but have been thinking maybe only getting one and then a buddy fish they get along with well. Anyone recommend a fish it'll get along with, or would it be best just to get two clowns? I love clowns, was just thinking variety and in case the clown doesn't like the other, at least another clown is a safe bet for a buddy!

And my next question! With having 1, or even 2 clowns, do i HAVE to have an anemone?? Are they absolutely necessary, or do clownfish not mind having one? I have no experience with anemones, and I know they can be beautiful, but will clownfish be happy w/o one?

hope this makes sense! Thank you for reading

mysaltwatertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Clownfish are a great choice, no anemone required. If you get a mated pair, or at least two different sizes, chances are they will get along fine. Having an anemone is more work and if you havnt researched them can be more than you bargained for. I wouldnt have one clownfish because they pair up so well, I would only personally go with two.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Clownfish are a great choice, no anemone required. If you get a mated pair, or at least two different sizes, chances are they will get along fine. Having an anemone is more work and if you havnt researched them can be more than you bargained for. I wouldnt have one clownfish because they pair up so well, I would only personally go with two.
okay, they're such fascinating fish with their personalities, so two isn't such a bad thing, and will still look awesome. if i don't get an anemone, is it worth getting corals & other things to add to it so it doesn't look so bare? i'd imagine a live rock tank with only algae would look quite plain

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having clowns without their natural host is not caring about the fish as much as we should. I dare anyone to find footage of clowns in the wild without their naturals hosts.

I had ocellaris hosted by bubbletips and they're not half as happy as when they have a magnifica.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having clowns without their natural host is not caring about the fish as much as we should. I dare anyone to find footage of clowns in the wild without their naturals hosts.

I had ocellaris hosted by bubbletips and they're not half as happy as when they have a magnifica.
ive had a lot of people say their clowns are super happy w/o a nem, and some have even rejected their nem in favour of other random objects, powerheads etc, so it this actually true or more of an opinion piece?

Not to mention, in the wild it is necessary as an anemone protects them from predators, but in a tank there is no immediate threat. I agree it would be good, but as a new aquarist i dont want to run a risk and hurt or kill an anemone.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of clowns and initially they looked ok in their bubbletips and didn't have any problems sharing them.

When I added a magnifica they immediately moved in and hell broke lose.

The trio broke up and I tried all things I could think of to get them back together.

Eventually what worked was me becoming their enemy. I tried to make them understand that they needed all the help they could get to defend their anemone.

The difference i notice is that they are much more bonded to the anemone. When they were hosted by the bubbletips they weren't in there 99.99% of the time as they are in the magnifica. I don't know why, but they seem to derive so much pleasure from being in touch with the magnifica.

Recently the magnifica got sick from a failed splitting attempt and I to remove it to treat it for a few weeks. The clowns were completely lost. I have over 30 bubbletips but they couldn't care less about them after having experienced the good stuff.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If all aquarists followed this we would have no more mags left in the ocean. Clownfish are beginner fish and you see a ton of them lost just on r2r. Mags are highly difficult and would most definitely be lost at higher numbers by noobs on this thought. I do agree with they would be happiest but not necessary. Clownfish host anything so why should we put their lives above an anemone.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of clowns and initially they looked ok in their bubbletips and didn't have any problems sharing them.

When I added a magnifica hell broke lose.

The trio broke up and I tried all things I could think of to get them back together.

Eventually what worked was me becoming their enemy. I tried to make them understand that they needed all the help they could get to defend their anemone.

The difference i notice is that they are much more bonded to the anemone. When they were hosted by the bubbletips they weren't in there 99.99% of the time as they are in the magnifica. I don't know why, but they seem to derive so much pleasure from being in touch with the magnifica.

Recently the magnifica got sick from a failed splitting attempt and I to remove it to treat it for a few weeks. The clowns were completely lost. I have over 30 bubbletips but they couldn't care less about them after having experie?nced the good stuff.
Ah okay I see your point. As a newcomer to this hobby, are nems particulary hard to keep?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all aquarists followed this we would have no more mags left in the ocean. Clownfish are beginner fish and you see a ton of them lost just on r2r. Mags are highly difficult and would most definitely be lost at higher numbers by noobs on this thought. I do agree with they would be happiest but not necessary. Clownfish host anything so why should we put their lives above an anemone.
My thoughts exactly. I really want to look after my clowns. i've had pet bettas in the past and i nurtured them, was devastated when they died, same with my pet budgie. i love animal life, and really want to make this a happy environment. would you recommend as a newcomer to try a nem, or keep the clowns with a few simple corals and then eventually get a nem?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for at least 6 months and definitely not a mag for at least a year or 2. Clowns love toadstool or frogspawn/ hammers mushrooms. Why risk the death of a nem is my thought. My 2 clowns spawn every 2 weeks and have no anemone. They must be happy.
8203F3FC-CD32-4EAC-8525-FA1EFFEB4503.jpeg

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown hosts on my Lobo. The End. She is happy. Captive-Bred Clowns have evolved differently than in the wild. Their natural instinct to host has just taken on a new way of hosting.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with mags is short, I just began keeping one 3 years ago. It's much more stable in its position than a bubbletip. It loves high light and high flow.

Most of them arrive in poor conditions and need antibiotics. After that, they're easy to keep animals.

If someone has a clown and doesn't think about it as a disposable item and wants to give it a long happy life, one should set as a goal learning how to keep its natural host.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for at least 6 months and definitely not a mag for at least a year or 2. Clowns love toadstool or frogspawn/ hammers mushrooms. Why risk the death of a nem is my thought. My 2 clowns spawn every 2 weeks and have no anemone. They must be happy.
8203F3FC-CD32-4EAC-8525-FA1EFFEB4503.jpeg
So lets say i get my tank, cycle it, parameters are good, then i can add clowns into it? will my clowns be happy with just the rock structures?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets say i get my tank, cycle it, parameters are good, then i can add clowns into it? will my clowns be happy with just the rock structures?
I'm confident Captive Bred clowns will thrive in a well established tank of many sorts. Again, as aquarists we've helped this species evolve into a new habitat environment.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confident Captive Bred clowns will thrive in a well established tank of many sorts. Again, as aquarists we've helped this species evolve into a new habitat environment.
Okay i think i understand.

I'll probably still get a nem bc they're very pretty, but might wait a bit and focus on corals etc.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i think i understand.

I'll probably still get a nem bc they're very pretty, but might wait a bit and focus on corals etc.
I've researched anemones and find they require a lot of work and safety precautions be put in place I.e circulation pump protectors, so that they don't get injured in a home aquarium. I personally toyed with the idea of a nem, but haven't gone down that path yet.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but we aren't dealing with wild caught clowns in most cases these days. I quit the hobby back in the late 90's and tank bred clowns were already becoming available. how many generations removed before the need is bred out of them? kinda like comparing your dog to a wolf, or house cat to a lion.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back