HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spent almost $700 on batteries :(

My building will be doing electrical work next week, worse case scenario is no power 8am - 4pm Monday - Wednesday. Ordered the Icecap battery for gyre, good sized UPS for Varios-6 return, and the ecotech battery for the MP10 on frag tank.

Really curious how long the UPS lasts, it says 5h+ for a 50watt load. So I'm hoping it runs the ~30W Reef Octopus the whole time.

Most likely, it will be a non-event except I'm out $700. It's something I would have needed eventually.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180930_181407_056.jpg

Fields of color from an vintage Carl-Zeiss lens. The orange patches in the back are the nems

Last edited:
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem looks great in the picture!
I was all cought up and you go a post more great picture of your tank:)

Thanks guys!

Yeah @Fudsey, my anthia simply chills like a goldfish waiting for food. Easy to snap pics. But catching the kole or wrasse is mostly a function of luck.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gambled and ordered a Copperband butterfly (display tank) and a blue chromis (frag tank) from the newish sponsor Fishy Business Aquatics. I'm intentionally posting here rather than tagging them via feedback, but it was the worst shipping I've seen.

Smallest size bag, half filled with water, and they were both lying flat in the box. Imagine a copperband in a small bag lying flat. The chromis was DOA, copperband looks rough, but alive.

Will put the butterfly in the frag tank to monitor it. If it's ok, then I'll move him in a week or two.

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they need to know that their shipping method was flawed and it should be addressed. Not tagging them doesn't let them know that they screwed up

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they need to know that their shipping method was flawed and it should be addressed. Not tagging them doesn't let them know that screwed up

I sent them all the details via private email. A weird limbo, where I wanted to share it with my followers, but didn't want to slam them in a larger forum. I will let you know how they respond.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. That is my biggest fear with ordering online. I have ordered 1 time online and it turned into a huge mess. I haven't ordered another live thing online because of it...

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gambled and ordered a Copperband butterfly (display tank) and a blue chromis (frag tank) from the newish sponsor Fishy Business Aquatics. I'm intentionally posting here rather than tagging them via feedback, but it was the worst shipping I've seen.

Smallest size bag, half filled with water, and they were both lying flat in the box. Imagine a copperband in a small bag lying flat. The chromis was DOA, copperband looks rough, but alive.

Will put the butterfly in the frag tank to monitor it. If it's ok, then I'll move him in a week or two.
Oh, that is bad. One thing is the transport company making mistakes, but a fish store should do all it can to ensure proper packing.
If it goes wrong at the first step, animals are suffering even more.
I hope they learn from this.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterfly43.jpg
Butterfly44.jpg

Quick snaps from the dirty frag tank. She seems ok (pretty skinny), she's in a small, but completely stress free 11 gallon 36" long aquamaxx.

She's ignoring the Easy Reef Masstick right now, but I've got a variety of Reef Nutrition food and some live brine should arrive later this week.

The vendor replied, apologized and said they would talk to their packaging department, yet it leaves me with a uncomfortable feeling. You hate watching animals suffer

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband didn’t eat masstick. I even tried live clams and it ignored it. After two weeks it just decided to eat.

Thanks. Rather than deal with the anthia + kole tang, I may keep her in the frag tank for awhile. If she won't eat there, she won't eat in the display I'm guessing.

EDIT: I thought masstick was supposed to be magic. Is it on other butterflys?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back