Coast to Coast + FramingTech Custom 80

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. That is my biggest fear with ordering online. I have ordered 1 time online and it turned into a huge mess. I haven't ordered another live thing online because of it...

Not to hijack, but I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with my experiences ordering online. I have ordered fish and corals from LiveAquaria, BlueZooAquatics, FragHouseCorals and Cultivated Reef. All arrived well packaged and in great shape. The Wrasse I got from BlueZoo was so well packaged it survived a 24 hour shipping delay.

Sorry you had a disappointing one, @HolisticBear.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack, but I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with my experiences ordering online. I have ordered fish and corals from LiveAquaria, BlueZooAquatics, FragHouseCorals and Cultivated Reef. All arrived well packaged and in great shape. The Wrasse I got from BlueZoo was so well packaged it survived a 24 hour shipping delay.

Sorry you had a disappointing one, @HolisticBear.

Not a hijack and that's great to hear about Blue Zoo. I hadn't heard any reports on them. I've had great luck with LiveAquaria.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a hijack and that's great to hear about Blue Zoo. I hadn't heard any reports on them. I've had great luck with LiveAquaria.

I was impressed with them all around in dealing with the delay. To be exact I had ordered from their Collecctor’s Choice which is like their version of Diver’s Den.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UPS ran the Varios-6 for 4h, I was hoping for a bit more. I can add more batteries, but I don't want to spend more. With the gyre running, the tank should be fine.

I'll try again later this week after a full charge & at a lower flow.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7+ hours on battery power!

I adjusted the Varios-6 to it's lowest output and the power load dropped from 8% to 4%, my UPS ran the return pump for more than 7 hours. It's a pretty cool feeling to know I can run my return pump for quite awhile in case of power outage. The gyre backup batteries should arrive today.

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which UPS did you go with? What is the VA rating? True sign or simulated? I want to get one but I am unsure what I need especially with the sign part of it and a DC pump.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which UPS did you go with? What is the VA rating? True sign or simulated? I want to get one but I am unsure what I need especially with the sign part of it and a DC pump.

The link above includes the exact model I purchased off Amazon. Free two day shipping on a 45lbs is nice.

It's an odd model for most people, but the skinny tower worked for my space. I can add extra batteries, so I could double or triple the runtime if I puchased another tower battery.

APC has a runtime calculator. I don't doubt that a DIY solution with a marine deep cell battery might work better, but I had unique limitations being in a small upper floor city apartment.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed for the cbb, such a shame they were so careless and thoughtless about the fish.

Thank you.

He seemed unhappy in the frag tank, so I moved him to DT. It's comic, the other fish are terrified of the little cbb (the small kole, the cave basslet, anthia). The cbb is constantly picking on the rock and under all the corals, so all seems well! The yellow coris wrasse is like honeybadger, he doesn't fear or react to anything.

The vendor apologized, but they are scratched off my list. DiversDen, TSM, and now BlueZoo seem viable to finding my future angel.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterfly45.jpg

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big thumbs up for the vortex and grye battery back-up. They are super easy to install.

In particular the IceCap. It's smaller than the vortex, you'll feel safer with it in your cabinet, and it's cheaper. For $100, you get a multiple day battery back-up for your gyre.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photos have been looking amazing mate, Using the Sony 90mm macro yea?
I reckon I’ve used mine enough now I can tell the similarities in your photos! Haha

I am! Amazing that you can tell. I was a Canon fan back in the day, but I'm a big fan of the Sony system now.

I was disappointed by the quality of the famous 90mm until I got a look-down tube. Then the quality was epic. You lose so much quality shooting thru glass. Need to work on that

I recently got the 50mm Sony Macro. The fish shots are probably that lens. A bit of an impulse buy. It's pretty good, auto-focus is slow, but I typical do manual for macro.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am! Amazing that you can tell. I was a Canon fan back in the day, but I'm a big fan of the Sony system now.

I was disappointed by the quality of the famous 90mm until I got a look-down tube. Then the quality was epic. You lose so much quality shooting thru glass. Need to work on that

I recently got the 50mm Sony Macro. The fish shots are probably that lens. A bit of an impulse buy. It's pretty good, auto-focus is slow, but I typical do manual for macro.

Nikon here, I have the camera set to manual focus, probably why I'm rubbish at fish pics! ;)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nikon here, I have the camera set to manual focus, probably why I'm rubbish at fish pics! ;)

It's luck. Since some fish don't move (anthia) and some always move at warp speed (wrasse).

But I manually focus, knowing they need to be about this far away. Then I move my body forward and back a little (to focus) as they swim in that part of the tank.

Rather that focus on the object, I focus on a spot and wait for the object to get into that spot. Often the delay for the camera to get focus means you've already missed the shot.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back