Copper test kits

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish

Picked up my api copper test kit and ammonia badge and now just need to go to my lfs to get some coppersafe for the fish qt....my next question regarding copper treatment is since I will be following the 10 foot rule and since i already have a coral qt in my kitchen, that leaves me with having to set up the fish qt in my bedroom. Thank God for being single huh? lol....so my question is, do I have anything to worry about in terms of running copper or other medications with a quarantine tank that's approximately 3 feet away from my bed? I would like to avoid breathing in toxic fumes or chemicals/carcinogens at all possible costs. Been in the hobby for 15 years but this is the first time that I am taking all possible steps to avoid having to deal with fish diseases and/or coral parasites in the dt. Thanks for all the great advice.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish

Picked up my api copper test kit and ammonia badge and now just need to go to my lfs to get some coppersafe for the fish qt....my next question regarding copper treatment is since I will be following the 10 foot rule and since i already have a coral qt in my kitchen, that leaves me with having to set up the fish qt in my bedroom. Thank God for being single huh? lol....so my question is, do I have anything to worry about in terms of running copper or other medications with a quarantine tank that's approximately 3 feet away from my bed? I would like to avoid breathing in toxic fumes or chemicals/carcinogens at all possible costs. Been in the hobby for 15 years but this is the first time that I am taking all possible steps to avoid having to deal with fish diseases and/or coral parasites in the dt. Thanks for all the great advice.

I don't think you'll have to worry overmuch about breathing in toxic fumes. If you are worried about it, you can make sure the A/C is blowing away from you and toward the QT (if that makes sense), or have a fan that lightly blows -again- away from you and toward the QT. This would cause a slight breeze that would cause any aerosol to be blown away from where you sleep. Also, you could get one of those air filter deals for your room.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think you'll have to worry overmuch about breathing in toxic fumes. If you are worried about it, you can make sure the A/C is blowing away from you and toward the QT (if that makes sense), or have a fan that lightly blows -again- away from you and toward the QT. This would cause a slight breeze that would cause any aerosol to be blown away from where you sleep. Also, you could get one of those air filter deals for your room.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

gman107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
633f1606826f10100d38cc2e70788586.jpg
is this in range API copper ter

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
633f1606826f10100d38cc2e70788586.jpg
is this in range API copper ter
I am a horrible judge of the API copper test.

I like to take a gallon of saltwater and add 1.8mL of Coppersafe to it. Then I sample it with the API test and use it as my reference color.

You may find it easier to use a smaller volume of water and 1mL of Coppersafe. You can go with 0.55 gallons, 2.1 liters, 71 ounces, 2.2 quarts... (I have a handy unit converter!)

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have entered into the world of quarantining fish and have started cupramine. Unfortunately i also bought an API Test kit not knowing any better.
My experience is the range is to broad to give a precise reading. Basically the target range for the medication falls between two shades of yellow with one shade being subtherapeutic and the other being the high end of safe.
Looking for a more accurate test kit. The copper I've read can be stressful to the fish. Which compounds the stress of being in quarantine. But after an ich outbreak in our display tank every fish will spend 4 - 6 weeks in QT.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the aforementioned hobbyist grade test kits, below are two "professional grade" test kits capable of measuring all forms of copper:

Copper CHEMets Kit: https://www.chemetrics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=392

Hach Copper Test Kit: http://www.hach.com/copper-free-total-color-disc-test-kit-model-cu-6/product?id=7640217308

@Humblefish IYE would you recommend the Chemetrics or the Hach copper test for accuracy in testing for Cuprion

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish IYE would you recommend the Chemetrics or the Hach copper test for accuracy in testing for Cuprion

This was discussed in a different thread. The conclusion was pretty much that neither is all that great. Here is the data from the Chemetrics. The low range is in 0.1ppm increments so a reading of 0.2ppm could be .15ppm to .25ppm. Hach does not list the accuracy of their test set.
upload_2018-1-9_12-26-27.png

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was discussed in a different thread. The conclusion was pretty much that neither is all that great.

So if one wanted a reliable test for keeping therapeutic levels of .20 when using cuprion, what are the options? I have a Salifert kit now. I was just wondering if there was a better option out there. (I've had my share of loss during QT) I want to take any step possible to eliminate any more.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if one wanted a reliable test for keeping therapeutic levels of .20 when using cuprion, what are the options? I have a Salifert kit now. I was just wondering if there was a better option out there. (I've had my share of loss during QT) I want to take any step possible to eliminate any more.
I'm convinced there are no really good options short of high tech lab grade equipment. What I recommend people do is to make a reference sample by adding the correct dose to one gallon and testing it. Then try and remember what color the sample is. The salifert test kit is typically much better than trying to use an API on coppersafe. It still doesn't hurt to mix up a reference and see how it looks to you.

Have you checked out this chart to make sure you are using the best possible product for the fish you have in QT?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously have spent no less than 1-2 hours a day over the last 2 months reading threads from you, Humblefish, 4FordFamily and Melypr1985 (including related threads that they chimed in on) as well as started several threads of my own on the topic.
Fantastic! Then you already understand that copper testing is clear as mud!

I keep thinking there has to be a better way. I'm still discouraged about the situation when I think of my email exchange with Fritz about Coppersafe. They say on their website that when dosed according to instructions it creates a total copper of 0.15ppm to 0.20ppm. They acknowledge that is not correct and that the actual dosing is 1.16ppm to 1.17ppm. They aren't willing to change either the recommended range or the dosing instructions because the recommended dose "appears effective" but they are doing more testing. :confused:

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i really like the chemetrics and if you just go a bit higher than therapeutic are within range at all times. i typically went a bit higher and it is a whole lot heck easier to read than salifert's test and API when using other copper. the bonus with the chemetrics is you have both standards and can use whichever copper solution you want and measure with much more certainty as the distinguishing colors are easily referenced while testing. i've used the chemetrics for about four years now and no issues.

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stick with the Salifert for now and take @Brew12 's advice and mix a gallon on clean saltwater to match the SG and temp of the tank water to test as a base. I brought the levels up in the HT over the last 5 days and will use that to compare where I'm at. May pick up the chemetrics later on down the road though just to have a range of testing options

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update Hanna!!! problem is copper can be deadly or as we know cause eating issues when to high.. I do use your kits. But will need one from you designed and proven to work in Saltwater.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coppersafe that has a therapeutic range from 1.5-2.0 ppm, the chemetrics does not offer that much of an advantage of api, correct? Both only have 1.0 and 2.0 ppm references, nothing in between.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coppersafe that has a therapeutic range from 1.5-2.0 ppm, the chemetrics does not offer that much of an advantage of api, correct? Both only have 1.0 and 2.0 ppm references, nothing in between.
Unfortunately, that is correct.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back