could I have missed my sps spawning?

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i entered the living-room this morning, I immediately smelled what I expected to be my trochus snails spawning. I've experienced that a few times before and the smell is... not good :p Skimmer was going crazy (bubbles were large and few and cup overflowing) tank water was very hazy. The snails were not acting like they typically do during that "event" though (hanging out close to surface going crazy on each other) but I didnt think much of it. I simply poured out the skimmer cup and turned the skimmer flow down a little and went to work.

Not until an hour before lights-out did I see the below stuff:
The biggest acro in the tank had some strange "bubbles" close to most of the polyps. Could it have been spawning the night before?
For quite some time, this coral has been rather pale with very small polyps. I have too little fish / feed to little.
Ive never seen it with "bulbs" like this.

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Coral was added as a 1 inch frag just over 3 years ago. Here it is shortly after that (middle of picture)
3y.jpg

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely spawning! What an awesome sight to see in an aquarium. Id put a video camera on it just to watch it 24/7 til it lets them go. If you catch the release id also turn the filter/return pumps off and just leave the wave makers on for awhile to let them settle. But thats just what id do lol you can let them get filtered out as well.

Heres a video of it

OP
OP
paal

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what had spawned last night, but what I posted above was the beginning; not the end. Sps just started releasing eggs. Soo cool

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an accomplishment for sure! I don't care how much ones tank is glowing from space or how long PE is. What you have there are not just corals living, but thriving to the point of spawning. Well done sir.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!! What kind of moonlight schedule are you running? Anything specific? How close are your Paramus to NSW?

OP
OP
paal

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!! What kind of moonlight schedule are you running? Anything specific? How close are your Paramus to NSW?

Light setup is quite basic. It's really just a quick ramp of the LEDs simply to avoid startling the fish.
Moonlight is just set to a static ON (at lowest power possible) until 00:05 every night. I do not run a moonlight "program"

I do not change water on my tank. It must be over 2 years now since I did a single small water change.
Parameters are kept stable using 3 part dosing from aquaforest, called "Component 1+2+3".
I really only measure alkalinity. I aim for 7.7 dKH and change dosing from all three containers based on this alone. From the super rare control tests, I know this puts my calcium and magnesium quite high; 450-500 / 1450-1500, but it seems to work just fine.

program.png

moon.png

OP
OP
paal

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please describe the smell. Ive smelled something odd at my tank but did not know what it was
I'd imagine if you mixed snail sperm with SPS-mucus/slime you would get fairly close (?)

...Now please don't follow up asking me to describe the smell of snail sperm :p

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super cool! Any idea what species that is? I was wondering if it might be A. microphthalma.

Unfortunately, you won't have any baby corals unless you have two of the same species in the tank. All the same, it's an awesome accomplishment.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light setup is quite basic. It's really just a quick ramp of the LEDs simply to avoid startling the fish.
Moonlight is just set to a static ON (at lowest power possible) until 00:05 every night. I do not run a moonlight "program"

I do not change water on my tank. It must be over 2 years now since I did a single small water change.
Parameters are kept stable using 3 part dosing from aquaforest, called "Component 1+2+3".
I really only measure alkalinity. I aim for 7.7 dKH and change dosing from all three containers based on this alone. From the super rare control tests, I know this puts my calcium and magnesium quite high; 450-500 / 1450-1500, but it seems to work just fine.

program.png

moon.png
Do you run gac or gfo?

OP
OP
paal

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super cool! Any idea what species that is? I was wondering if it might be A. microphthalma.

Unfortunately, you won't have any baby corals unless you have two of the same species in the tank. All the same, it's an awesome accomplishment.
I don't know what species it is. A Micro is a possibility for sure.

Not getting the baby corals is a good thing. The tank is way too filled up now for my liking. My area only has one other reefer that I know of, and they don't want any more from me. I constantly prune and throw out sps.

Do you run gac or gfo?
I don't.
Just a skimmer and a dosing pump for the 3 part.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back