Devils advocating

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was getting at 'did you ever have a time where QT (seemed) to not cure CI. ?

Well no, my fish were definitely ich-free in QT. My issues were definitely and admittedly handler-error... trying to skimp QT with a tricky fish and having it backfire. And trying to juggle too many QT tanks at once (think I had 4) and cross-contaminating. Like I said, there’s a learning curve...

But, still better than watching my tank get the plague over and over again and all my fish dying.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no, my fish were definitely ich-free in QT. My issues were definitely and admittedly handler-error... trying to skimp QT with a tricky fish and having it backfire. And trying to juggle too many QT tanks at once (think I had 4) and cross-contaminating. Like I said, there’s a learning curve...

But, still better than watching my tank get the plague over and over again and all my fish dying.

Have you ever tried correct UV-C protocols on any of your tanks?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried correct UV-C protocols on any of your tanks?

I had a UV sterilizer on my tank when I was trying to catch everyone for round 2. Slowed to the appropriate flow. Only for maybe 2-3 weeks though, until I could catch everyone. It may have helped, by the time I moved them all to QT symptoms were just about gone, but I know that parasites cycle, and would probably be back... if not then, probably the next time I tried to add a fish, or the power went out, or a heater failed, etc etc

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes - I was getting to the OP - who felt that QT failed because there was a flaw in the method - as compared to the aquarist.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. That’s not correct. Once the tomites turn into Theron’s they are immediately killed by the copper. So all you need to do is have the fish exposed to copper long enough to have the ci fall off of the fish. It doesn’t matter if they encrust in the tank with copper because like I said when they hatch they are killed immediately. The only time you need to wait 76 days is a fallow tank situation.

A day late and a dollar short, havnt really been on here, and didn’t realize the length of this discussion, I’d like fill in the gaps from then.

I only use my phone for this site, so typos and grammar are tough to get around.
Durig those process, copper was used 2.25 for the whole 14 days.

ttm was used more for ammonia control rather than ich. Didn’t trust my bio filter , so rather than lean on that, i just moved the fish every 2.5 days or so before ammonia and dirty water could become a factor.

when transferred, the new water was laced with 2.25 copper already making 10 continuous days in copper, albeit in different clean tanks. There was no “off time” as far as copper goes. Think of it this way, made ten gallons of water, added copper, fish in there for 2.5 days. After 2.5 days, fish went into different tank, new ten gallons with copper, and this repeateduntil 14 days are up.

don’t recall the aftermath, I’ve compartmentalized those dark days of losing fish, but what I have been doing is very similar.

start up a new qt, add bio spira, wait a few hours then copper, new fish go in and sit there for 10 days, then on into the display. Knock on wood, it’s been working, and although I lose fish from time to time, I can’t attribute it to ich. (Aggression, incompatibility etc)

I think part of my troubles in the past were the tank set ups themselves. I don’t do the the ttm anymore for two reasons: 1 it’s a pain in the neck to constantly swap tanks, and 2, more importantly, I trust the biospira now. Was in the past tried others, not very successful.

the set ups themselves were only 10 gallons. Temp swings, especially in a cool basement, were most likely there, and I would mix up salt sometimes the day of, where I should have done it much sooner.

Also sourcing of fish I’ve become better with.

I’m using 10 days in copper only, not because I’m impatient, but if the times lines arefact, then 10 days should cover it, and to me, the longer you keep up a pacing tang in a smaller tanks the more trouble could come after as far as stress and a bacterial infections go .

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back